Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The total Tesla M3 experience. Happy or disappointed?

What is your take on the total Tesla M3 experience?

• Totally happy, call me a fan

Votes: 188 81.0%
  • Fine car, I would probably buy one again

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Disappointed, I was expecting so much more

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Stop nagging me

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
auto wipers have gotten a lot better in recent software updates. The auto climate control works a lot better than many combustion engine powered vehicles.

AP's tendency for sudden braking, mostly "short sighted" braking, is annoying, but that's an industry wide problem.

I had to drive from Michigan to Ohio, about a 3 hour drive for me, to get it, so that was annoying.

This is one place where Tesla is not to be blamed. The responsibility for that is with Michigan trying to hang on to protect their ICE cars by suppressing Tesla.

But I feel your pain since I am also struck in the same situation. My state legislature for auto dealerships is controlled by a billion dollar family dealership and they have bought off enough state legislators that Tesla does not have a sales or service center in our state. I had to drive 2 hours to go to a neighboring state to pick up my M3.

I hate these shenanigans.

I'm 50/50. The whole range getting lower and lower as you drive is really disappointing. It's gotten to the point where I am confused if my LR RWD is 325 miles or 310 miles. Other than that, the car is fantastic. I still think Tesla needs a performance division.

The machine with what is currently called the FSD config, is nothing like what else is on the road. As to why 100% positive? I couldn't care less about the details, because after learning to fully use the automation, which took me several weeks, if not months, I cannot IMAGINE going back to a manual car. In fact, I couldn't imagine driving a Model 3 with only the base AP, that's not the full experience.

I'm 50/50. The whole range getting lower and lower as you drive is really disappointing. It's gotten to the point where I am confused if my LR RWD is 325 miles or 310 miles. Other than that, the car is fantastic. I still think Tesla needs a performance division.

The displayed "miles" is a mirage. It's an estimate, a projection, based on the power you have been using and other calculations. Your battery is fine (unless of course it's broken, needs service - unlikely). The battery is not evaporating or dying. The displayed "miles" change depending on software version, your usage, etc. Display it in percentage, calibrate it by fully charging and discharging, and learn to use the Energy graphs. Your car is fine. Fantastic. Relax.

The displayed "miles" is a mirage. It's an estimate, a projection, based on the power you have been using and other calculations. Your battery is fine (unless of course it's broken, needs service - unlikely). The battery is not evaporating or dying. The displayed "miles" change depending on software version, your usage, etc. Display it in percentage, calibrate it by fully charging and discharging, and learn to use the Energy graphs. Your car is fine. Fantastic. Relax.

I am relaxed... what makes you think I am not relaxed?

I am not the only one concerned with mileage dropping in large chunks from 290 to 285 to 280 and now 276, the issue is has Tesla brought down all LR RWD back to 310 va 325 without saying so.

Very much like my car, and have since picking it up 07/18. Main complaints for ME are ingress/egress difficulty, uncomfortable driver’s seat, and inability to use TACC with passengers due to phantom braking. I’m hoping this last can be resolved eventually through software and in fairness seems to be much better in v32.11 than previously. On the good side: omygosh just everything else.

Very much like my car, and have since picking it up 07/18. Main complaints for ME are ingress/egress difficulty, uncomfortable driver’s seat, and inability to use TACC with passengers due to phantom braking. I’m hoping this last can be resolved eventually through software and in fairness seems to be much better in v32.11 than previously. On the good side: omygosh just everything else.
I find ingress/egress fantastic - especially compared to my Porsche or other ICE cars I've owned. My physically-challenged mother has a hard time getting in almost ever vehicle she has no issue in/out of the 3.
Are your passengers complaining about phantom braking with TACC? I'm rarely getting phantom braking with TACC.

OP: you are saying that your 2012 BWM with a Tom Tom offers better navigation, technology and maps than the Telsa Model 3 with premium interior?. If even close to your true opinion than it must be a flaw with Tesla in your country, as in the US the map is quite fantastic. I find Waze the only product on the market better in terms of routing, alerting to police and speed checkpoints, Telsa does not have waypoints but all in all given the screen resolution and responsiveness I have never seen a better in car nav system than on a Tesla.

I see your points on trivial things like Automatic Wipers functionality. BWM has better auto wipers I agree. End of the day they are very far down on the list for me of things I care about.
Any build quality issues in my experience are overblown but in October of 2019 so well documented that most buyers I suspect are actually surprised how well built their Telsa actually is so bringing this up as negative post delivery really seems questionable.

Yes, the service aspect is an issue and basic things like answering their telephones is a problem. Each individual needs to weigh the importance of those concerns.

I am relaxed... what makes you think I am not relaxed?

I am not the only one concerned with mileage dropping in large chunks from 290 to 285 to 280 and now 276, the issue is has Tesla brought down all LR RWD back to 310 va 325 without saying so.

i wish Tesla did a better job with communication to new buyers. People will experience some degradation and the most severe still be the first couple years of ownership. After that it levels off. My Jan 2017 S90D lost about 6% initially but hasn’t changed in over a year now.

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
1. Looks - That's subjective, but kinda strange to complain that you dislike someone on a car that was very visible prior to order and purchase. If you didn't like it, I have to wonder why you bought one.

There aren’t any alternatives. Tesla is the only one making an EV that is both fast and has long range. All other EVs on the market have shorter range, slower acceleration and are basically competing against the Bolt even if they cost 3x as much. (i.e. etron and ipace) The only real Tesla competitor is the Taycan and that's anywhere from 3-6x the price of a Model 3. So if you want an EV with a good range and performance that's not a luxury super car your only option is the Model 3. Love it or leave it.

Reactions: MaSansky
Overall happy with the car. However do regret not getting the Dual Motor option. Got the SR+..... :(

More than likely will consider upgrading in 2-3 years or when the next generation/refresh of the Model 3 comes out...

2. Have you read the post? My observations were compared to my 2012 BMW 3-series with DCC and an extra € 100 TomTom because I need up-to-date maps and live traffic information. This worked flawless here and not in the Tesla. Apart from the programmable buttons. Which I didn't need as the import functions all had buttons with actual tactile feedback so I could keep my eyes on the road.
If you find the technology in a BMW and a TomTom to be superior to Tesla's systems, we just have to agree to disagree. BMW's system is very often ridiculed for its terrible user experience.

I'm happy with the car and to support Tesla, but I can't stand the plastic cracking sounds every time the A/C or heater turns on, the rattles from my seatbelt holder and center console. Music helps but is only a crutch.

my seatbelt on my S would rattle against the seat and I put some felt pads on it. Took care of the issue but it may be different than what you are experiencing.

If you find the technology in a BMW and a TomTom to be superior to Tesla's systems, we just have to agree to disagree. BMW's system is very often ridiculed for its terrible user experience.
It’s not the technology. It’s the functionality. I can’t help but think that the Tesla development team is dominated by software people and not regular drivers.

I mean, come on, have you ever tried to start a phone call in the car without looking at the screen for 20+ seconds? But ok, we do not speak English here so maybe this is a language thing that Tesla will fix in the long run.

Navigation looks terrific but after a while you will recognize it is a fancy google maps overlay on a very limited navigational computer. And I am Dutch. TomTom is Dutch. We invented smart navigation in digital packaging here so of course I am hard to please. I have visited the US several times for long stretches and last time brought my own TomTom because the stuff in rentals is absolute crap. And I also recognized navigating through the US is totally different then through Europe. Maybe here is the source of the problem? I don’t know. Let’s just say I couldn’t stop laughing when I noticed that the system shows POI’s on the map but you can’t select them to show details, store them as a favorite or to navigate there. It pleases the eye, not the driver that needs to go from A to B fast.

Press right scroll wheel button. Say “Call X” or “Dial 5555555555”. But even in using another car, it’s about the same to bring up the phone and dial. I’d also point out you can turn on AP and reduce the standard risk in doing it.

Let’s just say I couldn’t stop laughing when I noticed that the system shows POI’s on the map but you can’t select them to show details, store them as a favorite or to navigate there. It pleases the eye, not the driver that needs to go from A to B fast.

In v10 of the software you can do exactly that
The POI’s on screen you can select, see details, a review, price range for restaurants, call their number, navigate to it, etc...