Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much getting this version FSD but getting out of SS madness while getting in on the beta track without having to continue the SS purgatory which I honestly don’t see going away no matter what Elon promises. At this point we all know to take what he says with a giant grain of salt when it comes to timing, not reliable since 2016 or earlier
12/28/21 is a long time ago to be on SS till this day. It is painful and I have yet to find anyone who has been on it longer than that.

12/28/21 is a long time ago to be on SS till this day. It is painful and I have yet to find anyone who has been on it longer than that.
But you opted Out so basically start over end of line. Bad timing no doubt. Would also suggest not getting overly frustrated because others got in this past few days and you missed out. Don’t Assume the door is now closed you may simply be in line. Could be just a few more weeks to funnel people in. They haven’t ever slammed 40k people through the door in 2 days. It takes time.

• Disagree
Reactions: doozenberg
But you opted Out so basically start over end of line. Bad timing no doubt. Would also suggest not getting overly frustrated because others got in this past few days and you missed out. Don’t Assume the door is now closed you may simply be in line. Could be just a few more weeks to funnel people in. They haven’t ever slammed 40k people through the door in 2 days. It takes time.
How do you know there is a line based on the last op in/opt out date. Nothing at Tesla seems to have logic on who gets what when.

I actually took delivery of my 22 MS on 12/27 and opted in.. so I have you by 1 day. But I did opt out on May 2nd for a FCW and then right back in. Should have probably let it be as it would have washed through by now.

How do you know there is a line based on the last op in/opt out date. Nothing at Tesla seems to have logic on who gets what when.
Exactly. This thread seems to indicate otherwise, that there are other thresholds on AP/Autosteer that were only made apparent recently. Tesla’s lack of transparency and moving targets truly suck

I actually took delivery of my 22 MS on 12/27 and opted in.. so I have you by 1 day. But I did opt out on May 2nd for a FCW and then right back in. Should have probably let it be as it would have washed through by now.
Congrats you’ve bested by a day, what’s your score and rolling number of miles since opting back in? 100, 246 mi here
0ED9FB0B-C846-4160-A24C-159EE4D32718.png

Congrats you’ve bested by a day, what’s your score and rolling number of miles since opting back in? 100, 246 mi hereView attachment 813293
I am usually on the low side for miles.. think I have about 200 for the last 30 and a 99 score. Got another FCW the other day from a car 1 block in front of me turning.. damn… but powering though it since it only lowered me to a 98 and then i got back to 99 the next day.

I am in Greece now on vacation, so my issue is that miles will start dropping off and then my score may drop as there is less to offset the FCW.. hoping to get in quickly before I drop too low.

Exactly. This thread seems to indicate otherwise, that there are other thresholds on AP/Autosteer that were only made apparent recently. Tesla’s lack of transparency and moving targets truly suck
Thank you for posting cross reference to the other post in this thread. Otherwise, I would not have tired NAP miles to get FSD Beta.

Reactions: doozenberg
Some FAQs for "where's my FSD beta" as the FSD beta audience gets larger...

A new version is released! When do I get mine?

Deployments seem to follow this cadence:
  • Employee pre-release testing - This is internal only. We may see a leak here or there for release notes.
  • Early access testers (1-2 days later) - This is likely the original people who signed up for early access when that was still a referral award, although unconfirmed.
  • Small release to existing beta testers (1-3 days later) - If you're already in FSD beta, you might get the latest beta a day or two sooner than everyone else.
  • Wide release to existing beta testers (1-3 days later) - Over several days, Tesla will roll this out to all EXISTING beta testers. You have to be in FSD beta to get it.
  • New beta testers (sometime during or after the wide release) - based on whatever the current Safety Score criteria is, if you are at or above that threshold, you *might* get FSD beta
New beta testers who meet the criteria after the release day MIGHT also receive the latest FSD beta after reaching the Safety Score threshold. However, these interim inductees to FSD beta are not guaranteed to get them on any specific schedule, if at all. Based on the last few versions, the interim scores seem to be batched every few days.

But, I hit the Safety Score. Why didn't I get it?
  • You need at least 100 miles driven. While some report edge cases of getting FSD beta sooner, the general consensus appears to be Safety Score threshold with at least 100 miles of driving history with Safety Score enabled.
  • Tesla may just choose to not release FSD beta to you/your region just yet. For instance, I am in NY and my friend is in CA. I hit my score on Monday. He hit is score on Tuesday. He got into FSD beta 48 hrs later, and I still haven't been invited. Could be anything, but it's reasonable to assume that the number of testers in a geographic region may be held back until Tesla has confidence to open it up.
  • There are many production variations of vehicles. Your car may not have the right camera equipment or computer, and may require new hardware. There may also be versions of FSD for specific years and models.
  • The FSD Safety Score looks at the last 30 days. If you had a high score roll off, your score may have dropped quietly unless you monitor it.
  • You didn't make the cut for the latest batch in an interim release. Tesla periodically pulls scores to distribute the beta. If you hit the Safety Score an hour after they pulled the score, you might not get it.
  • Finally, remember, Tesla is not obligated to give you anything during this early testing period. Sure everything is beta (including AutoPilot) but FSD beta is a very early beta at best - Tesla is not inviting everyone at once.

Let's say the Safety Score threshold right now is 99. My friend swears they got FSD beta as a 98. Are they lying?
  • Nobody knows. Maybe they got lucky. Maybe they hit 99 right when Tesla pulled the qualifying scores, and then dropped to 98 before a deploy happened. But this would not be typical.

How is everyone keeping track of these releases?
  • Teslascope.com (Vehicle Software Updates | Teslascope) and TeslaFi.com (TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker) are where you can see a sample of Tesla owner vehicles and what version their cars are running. Note that this is not the entire Tesla fleet, just a sample. Trending releases (high install counts) are new releases.
  • Clicking on a specific software version in TeslaFi or Teslascope will show greater detail on that version. Most important for many is what is the prior version of software that car was running before receiving the latest FSD beta.
    • Example: FSD Beta 10.5 is 2021.36.8.8.
    • During the initial deployment, you can see that only cars that had 2021.36.8.5, 2021.36.8.6 and 2021.36.8.7 got this update. Those are all people that had FSD beta before.
    • When someone with an older version like 2021.32.22 gets it, you can reasonably expect that new invites are being rolled out.
Hope this thread is useful for those who have the numbers to show but aren't sure when they will get it. Feel free to add other FAQs here as needed.
I have had a 98 for a couple of months and my safety score has never been lower than 94 since March. I drive a couple hundred miles a week. Most days I get 100 because I try to keep a huge gap to the next car, but sometimes a light goes yellow too fast or I get a random foreword collision warning, so I have a 98. Anyway, no invitation yet and it is frustrating.

Reactions: jacob@jyoungs.
I have had a 98 for a couple of months and my safety score has never been lower than 94 since March. I drive a couple hundred miles a week. Most days I get 100 because I try to keep a huge gap to the next car, but sometimes a light goes yellow too fast or I get a random foreword collision warning, so I have a 98. Anyway, no invitation yet and it is frustrating.
It can be frustrating. I waited six months from the time I bought second car to invite so I feel you. First car took about a month of SS driving but this was more than 3 years after I even bought the car with FSD. Try driving more in Autosteer (not cruise control), the last release needed at least 100 miles strictly in Autosteer. Invite spigot might have closed but they maybe they’ll reopen. Elon keeps emphasizing all who want it will have by end of year so the longest you’ll likely wait is another 5 months at which point the SS will be unnecessary for FSD.

Back in October when they first released this option, I was able to get the fsd beta after driving 1 week and having a 99. Then I traded my car and have to do this all over again. It seems like people are waiting so long now. I didn’t know how good I had it! I guess they are still slowly adding more fsd beta drivers….

Should I expect to be let in some time this coming week?
Only if you don't mind being disappointed. ;-) They are just now rolling out FSD beta 10.69, starting with small numbers a few days ago and growing slowly. So far, only to folks already on beta. They might, or might not, add more cars to the beta program with this version, no one knows.

My guess is that Tesla is getting plenty of feedback on things that need fixing already from the 100,000 or so beta testers. That is a huge fire hose of bug reports. I don't imagine that a bigger fire hose will speed up the process.

Keep in mind that you bought FSD, not FSD beta. The full suite of FSD features has not been released at all yet. Beta is a program of volunteers helping to test incremental improvements, which, someday we all hope, will be turned into a full public release of FSD.

Patience, Jacob. In the mean time, enjoy your new ride, and learn well what AutoPilot is and is not good at.

SW

Only if you don't mind being disappointed. ;-) They are just now rolling out FSD beta 10.69, starting with small numbers a few days ago and growing slowly. So far, only to folks already on beta. They might, or might not, add more cars to the beta program with this version, no one knows.

My guess is that Tesla is getting plenty of feedback on things that need fixing already from the 100,000 or so beta testers. That is a huge fire hose of bug reports. I don't imagine that a bigger fire hose will speed up the process.

Keep in mind that you bought FSD, not FSD beta. The full suite of FSD features has not been released at all yet. Beta is a program of volunteers helping to test incremental improvements, which, someday we all hope, will be turned into a full public release of FSD.

Patience, Jacob. In the mean time, enjoy your new ride, and learn well what AutoPilot is and is not good at.

SW
Yep, was definitely expecting a wait! It's just that Tesla is not transparent about this at all, so wanted to hear from others that maybe purchased a vehicle with FSD recently. But it sounds like no one *really* knows. Thank you for the response 😃

Really wish FSD Beta followed the driver not the car. I got really lucky got my Y in Dec and within 2-3 weeks got beta with the increased rollout. Just got my new X last week, really hoping they open some spots with 10.69.2 (Which Elon has said 2x he would increase those into beta) could get really lucky and get it within a couple weeks on this car. But point remains really do think that they should let you transfer it w a new car.

Reactions: Jack Oak
I don’t know. If I were limiting access to the beta, people that make a decision every month to “Pay or not pay?” Those people would definitely get in.
Also a new subscriber. Hoping your thought is correct. The EAP features seem to work well enough, but I'd like to try FSD as well. If I don't get it by the end of my first month, I won't be subscribing a second month until it's more widely available.