Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The value of PPF (Paint Protection Film)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbor just bragged he did an XPEL(like) Dealership applied coating on his Lexus - and was particularly impressed with the coating on his windshield.
I had not heard of windshield rock-chip protection before. Does anyone have information on chip-resistant glass coverage?

There is Bray windshield skins - Home and clearplex Invisible Windshield Protection Films and Screen Protectors - ClearPlex

I think bray has a couple of layers that can be peeled off if there is damage so you don't have to get it replaced right away and clearplex I believe is scratch free so might be tougher. Havent looked too much into them but I know they are expensive but great for cars with expensive windscreens.

Usually the windscreens that the average replacement shop uses aren't as good as your OEM, not to mention the issue with the seals and rubbers on cars never going back on the same.

There is Bray windshield skins - Home and clearplex Invisible Windshield Protection Films and Screen Protectors - ClearPlex

I think bray has a couple of layers that can be peeled off if there is damage so you don't have to get it replaced right away and clearplex I believe is scratch free so might be tougher. Havent looked too much into them but I know they are expensive but great for cars with expensive windscreens.

Usually the windscreens that the average replacement shop uses aren't as good as your OEM, not to mention the issue with the seals and rubbers on cars never going back on the same.
Thanks - I just sent email to both outfits. How expensive is expensive?

Have you tried the Xpel rinseless wash? I was very happy with the bottle they gave me after I got my car wrapped. It is hard to find online and no one carries it in store. I tried a couple other popular brands from amazon but they leave it streaky and dirty. I also tried just cleaning with detailing spray but it seems to build up a waxy streaky layer very quickly as well. I will have to try Duragloss I suppose.

You can find it on our website! Or simply give us a call 1-210-678-3700 during 8:30am-5:30 CST and mention you're part of the Tesla Forum and you'll receive 10% off on aftercare products...

To see all the available aftercare products please visit: XPEL Aftercare

Reactions: Maximus8
My neighbor just bragged he did an XPEL(like) Dealership applied coating on his Lexus - and was particularly impressed with the coating on his windshield.
I had not heard of windshield rock-chip protection before. Does anyone have information on chip-resistant glass coverage?
My installer, Xpel certified, was highly against the windshield protection when I inquired. He states the windshield wiper destroys them in a matter of time.

I'm new on forum but have been reading threads for the last 3 weeks. I'm expecting my delivery late July- August and wanted to get Xpel, after my shop inquiry here in southern cali, i was quoted $1950 full front /hood, back mirrors and wrapped edges and $650 rear bumper. Honestly I would love to avoid rock chips and swirl marks over time but im entering a a 36mo lease and still undecided if this additional expense is worth investing on a leased vehicle. Anyone have the same experience? Thanks in advance!

My installer, Xpel certified, was highly against the windshield protection when I inquired. He states the windshield wiper destroys them in a matter of time.

Yup. I had my ICE wrapped a few years ago and was going to get Xpel on the windshield as well. My installer recommended not to do it for the same reason. It was $100. I'm sure it'll cost more for model s or x since the windshield is bigger.

I'm new on forum but have been reading threads for the last 3 weeks. I'm expecting my delivery late July- August and wanted to get Xpel, after my shop inquiry here in southern cali, i was quoted $1950 full front /hood, back mirrors and wrapped edges and $650 rear bumper. Honestly I would love to avoid rock chips and swirl marks over time but im entering a a 36mo lease and still undecided if this additional expense is worth investing on a leased vehicle. Anyone have the same experience? Thanks in advance!

Happy to help you out! Our shop is in North County not far from OC/LA, most our clientele comes from your area.

Give me a call 760-815-5933 or email Tim@adonisdetail and i'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

The way I look at it, my insurance has a window option.... and if anyone should want to pay for windshield protection it would be the insurance company, not I. Any faint scratch or blemish due to impact would REALLY bother me so I opted not to get any windshield protection film.

In addition, here in New England, the winter months deposit all sorts of crud on the front of the car and I cannot help but thinking this crud is going to be abrasive to any protection film.... once the windshield wipers do their thing.

The way I look at it, my insurance has a window option.... and if anyone should want to pay for windshield protection it would be the insurance company, not I. Any faint scratch or blemish due to impact would REALLY bother me so I opted not to get any windshield protection film.

In addition, here in New England, the winter months deposit all sorts of crud on the front of the car and I cannot help but thinking this crud is going to be abrasive to any protection film.... once the windshield wipers do their thing.

This is exactly my recommendation as well, unfortunately the windshield protection that is available on the market isn't quite there in terms of performance. Have a good windshield policy on your insurance just in case something does happen.

Unfortunately for me the rough surface of the stucco made deep gouges into the PPF. I'm confident the PPF would perform even better against a smooth surface.
This bumper hit a stucco wall & was dented. Luckily the bumper is plastic so the dent was easily popped out with a heat gun. Unfortunately, the ppf is kind of destroyed while saving the paint from the impact

Paint Protection on Instagram: “My Honda Odyssey work van just smashed (by parking attendant)into the wall at the dealer. I Couldn"t be happier! The Xpel Ultimate…”

Reactions: XPEL