TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The value of PPF (Paint Protection Film)

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Maximus8, Jun 24, 2016.

1. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

My neighbor just bragged he did an XPEL(like) Dealership applied coating on his Lexus - and was particularly impressed with the coating on his windshield.
    I had not heard of windshield rock-chip protection before. Does anyone have information on chip-resistant glass coverage?

2. Electrofied

Electrofied Member

There is Bray windshield skins - Home and clearplex Invisible Windshield Protection Films and Screen Protectors - ClearPlex

I think bray has a couple of layers that can be peeled off if there is damage so you don't have to get it replaced right away and clearplex I believe is scratch free so might be tougher. Havent looked too much into them but I know they are expensive but great for cars with expensive windscreens.

Usually the windscreens that the average replacement shop uses aren't as good as your OEM, not to mention the issue with the seals and rubbers on cars never going back on the same.

3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Thanks - I just sent email to both outfits. How expensive is expensive?

4. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

You can find it on our website! Or simply give us a call 1-210-678-3700 during 8:30am-5:30 CST and mention you're part of the Tesla Forum and you'll receive 10% off on aftercare products...

To see all the available aftercare products please visit: XPEL Aftercare

• Like x 1
  5. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

My installer, Xpel certified, was highly against the windshield protection when I inquired. He states the windshield wiper destroys them in a matter of time.

6. glusc2002

glusc2002 Member

I'm new on forum but have been reading threads for the last 3 weeks. I'm expecting my delivery late July- August and wanted to get Xpel, after my shop inquiry here in southern cali, i was quoted $1950 full front /hood, back mirrors and wrapped edges and $650 rear bumper. Honestly I would love to avoid rock chips and swirl marks over time but im entering a a 36mo lease and still undecided if this additional expense is worth investing on a leased vehicle. Anyone have the same experience? Thanks in advance!

7. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

Yup. I had my ICE wrapped a few years ago and was going to get Xpel on the windshield as well. My installer recommended not to do it for the same reason. It was $100. I'm sure it'll cost more for model s or x since the windshield is bigger.

8. Tim@adonisdetail

[email protected] Local Vendor - SoCal

Happy to help you out! Our shop is in North County not far from OC/LA, most our clientele comes from your area.

Give me a call 760-815-5933 or email [email protected] and i'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

9. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

The way I look at it, my insurance has a window option.... and if anyone should want to pay for windshield protection it would be the insurance company, not I. Any faint scratch or blemish due to impact would REALLY bother me so I opted not to get any windshield protection film.

In addition, here in New England, the winter months deposit all sorts of crud on the front of the car and I cannot help but thinking this crud is going to be abrasive to any protection film.... once the windshield wipers do their thing.

10. Tim@adonisdetail

[email protected] Local Vendor - SoCal

This is exactly my recommendation as well, unfortunately the windshield protection that is available on the market isn't quite there in terms of performance. Have a good windshield policy on your insurance just in case something does happen.