Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The what range do you get question!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably somewhere on the forum but I can not find it with a search..

So any feedback on what to actually expect please, I know that there are many many variables but a general picture would be lovely!

I am waiting for a new Model X LR (With 22s) I am aware the 22s will hit the range so also have a set of 20s coming that I can put on in winter and maybe long road trips if I find the 22s to hard or to much of a range killer..

Probably somewhere on the forum but I can not find it with a search..

So any feedback on what to actually expect please, I know that there are many many variables but a general picture would be lovely!

I am waiting for a new Model X LR (With 22s) I am aware the 22s will hit the range so also have a set of 20s coming that I can put on in winter and maybe long road trips if I find the 22s to hard or to much of a range killer..

I have Raven LR with 20s. For the last 3000 miles I have averaged 280 wh/mi that is with lots of A/C and some towing. 300 wh/mi is about EPA. So I’m quite happy with range.

Winter takes a bigger hit than I think the Model 3 did. It loses regen quickly when temps start to drop below 50F. My wh/mi climbs to 330.

So all in all my year round average with cold weather in winter and A/C and towing summer averages out to about EPA estimates.

My favorite way to look at range is a comparison to the rated miles. The blue line in this plot is the % of rated miles as a function of temperature based on about 35,000 miles of driving. While this is a pre-Raven with 20” wheels, the general trend that shows outside temperature dependency should be similar. Yesterday I made a 380 mile trip and my overall actual range was 103% of the rated range.

51B427C1-5BC2-4C9C-9E83-BECCA634018D.jpeg

I have Raven LR with 20s. For the last 3000 miles I have averaged 280 wh/mi that is with lots of A/C and some towing. 300 wh/mi is about EPA. So I’m quite happy with range.

Winter takes a bigger hit than I think the Model 3 did. It loses regen quickly when temps start to drop below 50F. My wh/mi climbs to 330.

So all in all my year round average with cold weather in winter and A/C and towing summer averages out to about EPA estimates.

My winter wh/mi climbs by about 15%. Your raven X gets about the same wh/mi as my 2016 S and seems to be about 25% more efficient than my AP2.0 MX.

On highway, at highway speeds, the most I get before I need to stop to charge is 225 miles. The battery is not empty at that time, but the next supercharger is further away than the remaining range is so it does not matter I can get another 20-30 miles or whatever.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
On highway, at highway speeds, the most I get before I need to stop to charge is 225 miles. The battery is not empty at that time, but the next supercharger is further away than the remaining range is so it does not matter I can get another 20-30 miles or whatever.

So are you suggesting you get 225 + 20 / 30 more = 245 - 255?

if so thats fine with me, as said I am buying the car based on (hoping!) I can achieve 240- 250 actual driving miles before a recharge - Leaving 10 - 15 miles on the clock before I plugin.

Realistic?

if so thats fine with me, as said I am buying the car based on (hoping!) I can achieve 240- 250 actual driving miles before a recharge - Leaving 10 - 15 miles on the clock before I plugin.

Realistic?
I think the main point is that the location of the superchargers actually define the needed range, and even if you have more charge left in the battery, if it isn’t enough to skip a supercharger, it is irrelevant.

I have plugged in with only 15 miles left, but that should never be the plan, IMHO. That is calling it too close. There are too many things that can happen along the way that could require more energy than planned.

Do you have a specific destination or part of a route with limited charging options available that you are trying to figure out if it is doable?

Last edited:
Yes, something close to that (obviously less in rain or uphill or with headwind)

Realistic?
Yes, that's pretty realistic.

Oh, you live in the UK with super low speed limits as I now see? You have nothing to worry about. I am talking 85-90mph speeds, as speeds go down consumption decreases very noticeably.

Reactions: ukevowner
I have an Oct 2016 MX P100D. I've done 154 miles pulling a boat the entire trip up and down the hills of Virginia along I-64 and I-95 and the uphill to my house from the interstate. It was great not having to stop and supercharge this whole trip. I passed at least one supercharger along this route, and the range of the battery allowed me to skip that SC and keep going for home. Truth in lending...I did go pretty slow (52-58mph) so as not to zap the energy out of the battery, slower uphill, faster downhill. That's the tradeoff. Either go slow and not have to stop as often, or go fast and stop more often but lose the time at the SC. Probably just a tad faster to drive hard and SC more often, but I was amped about the challenge to see if I could make it. Had 9% left when I got home. That's the lowest SOC I've ever had in my car.