Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There will be something special", Who does this apply to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "something special" won't be a special paint job because those who don't want that color won't be getting a special thing. It won't be something expensive like rims or the larger battery because that's simply not affordable. Nor will it be some "invisible" upgrade such as free Supercharging or EAP because how can you make someone feel jelly about your special status if they can't tell you are special by merely looking at you or your car? No, the gift has to be of nominal cost so it can be given to thousands of people, tangible and not part of the car itself so you can carry it with you and show it off to your envious friends anytime/anywhere, and most importantly it has to help relieve the anxiety and stress line-waiters have had to endure waiting for their cars since Day 1.

Taking all this into consideration, this is probably the most likely "something special":
special.jpg

It will come in an Alcantara storage pouch (with "ujelly?" stitched on the front in Signature Red) and includes a bonus lanyard so that once you get your car and can stop fidgeting, you can hang this from the rear view mirror so passersby will instantly recognize that you and your car are indeed special.

Last edited:
Elon was specifically asked last November if sig red might be available for March 31 reservation holders, and responded, "there will be something special". The concept art had already been sent out, and was sent to more than just March 31 reservation holders, implying that this was not the 'something special' that he meant.

Well before that in April 2016 he also said, "we will send something to everyone who ordered, but an extra gift for those who stood in some crazy long lines". After that someone guessed, "scale model 3?" and his response was, "and a few other things"

Taken together, the implication is that the concept art print was the something for everyone, but there is still an 'extra gift' to come for line-waiters.

I think you all take Elon's word too much to heart. He also said the 3 would have smart air suspension and that doesn't look to be happening either. He has a tendency to talk a little too much and people take what he says as concrete fact.

• Helpful
Reactions: Stirfelt
I don't think free supercharging is a good 'something special' because it has a subjective value which varies widely among potential owners. For example, a person who lives in an area where there are no or few SC and maybe takes a roadtrip once a year gets barely any value or utility from the gift. A person who lives in an urban/suburban area that has a private charging location who doesn't take roadtrips that much would get very little value/utility.

If there is something coming to that group of people, and I believe (maybe hope is a better word) there will be something, I imagine it will be something that's not so subjective; instead much more universal. Even SigRed is subjective because some people don't like any shade of red.

Not trying to be argumentative or direct this particularly at you but I don't understand the mentality like this around here. Is it not valuable if someone doesn't envy it? Why do you care so much what others think?
Yes you're right that the value of the 'something special' does not solely depend on what others think. But speaking for myself, I like being unique and standing out. I like being noticed in ways I can control and in ways that I am proud of. A visual indication on/in the car that is not common would suit me well. I think many enthusiasts of any car brand like knowing that other like-minded people can spot what they are driving and get enjoyment from that.

I think you all take Elon's word too much to heart. He also said the 3 would have smart air suspension and that doesn't look to be happening either. He has a tendency to talk a little too much and people take what he says as concrete fact.
Smart Air suspension isn't happening NOW...but it will
Ludicrous isn't happening NOW.....but it will
Dual Motor isn't happening NOW....but it will

You must own a watch.....Elon doesn't.

That's why I am shocked anytime Elon points to a specific Day when something will happen.

I don't think free supercharging is a good 'something special' because it has a subjective value which varies widely among potential owners. For example, a person who lives in an area where there are no or few SC and maybe takes a roadtrip once a year gets barely any value or utility from the gift. A person who lives in an urban/suburban area that has a private charging location who doesn't take roadtrips that much would get very little value/utility.

If there is something coming to that group of people, and I believe (maybe hope is a better word) there will be something, I imagine it will be something that's not so subjective; instead much more universal. Even SigRed is subjective because some people don't like any shade of red.

Yes you're right that the value of the 'something special' does not solely depend on what others think. But speaking for myself, I like being unique and standing out. I like being noticed in ways I can control and in ways that I am proud of. A visual indication on/in the car that is not common would suit me well. I think many enthusiasts of any car brand like knowing that other like-minded people can spot what they are driving and get enjoyment from that.
Isnt the perceived value of any such gift subjective? Take the previously mailed drawing for example. Some people cherished it and even had it custom framed, while others just chucked it in a drawer or in the trash. Of those who did not receive theirs automatically, some contacted Tesla to have the drawing mailed to them, while others just shrugged their shoulders because they didn't care about it.

One way to make your car (and by extension its owner) unique is to get a personalized licensed plate. This is something you can control to get noticed.

Last edited:
Subjective?

Tesla can't and won't please everyone, however I'm not sure they are in the business of pleasing everyone with one single thing.

Supercharging seems to be one of the single begged for options that Tesla has sold.

Lets see....air-conditioned seats have gone away.
Lets see.....regular white paint has been removed
Lets see.....air suspension has been removed from base units.

Isnt the perceived value of any such gift subjective? Take the previously mailed drawing for example. Some people cherished it and even had it custom framed, while others just chucked it in a drawer or in the trash. Of those who did not receive theirs automatically, some contacted Tesla to have the drawing mailed to them, while others just shrugged their shoulders because they didn't care about it.
Fair point, but that drawing seems to have much more universal appeal/value in my mind. Whereas, if the 'something special' ended up being free lifetime supercharger, I could see some owners who don't really need that potentially feeling disappointed that their utility of the gift is not as much as it could be.

In the end, it's all speculation, and none of us have a choice what is given. But I just feel like Tesla would consider the broad desireability of their gift, as well as the cost to Tesla to give it.

One way to make your car (and by extension its owner) unique is to get a personalized licensed plate. This is something you can control to get noticed.
Already done!

Fair point, but that drawing seems to have much more universal appeal/value in my mind. Whereas, if the 'something special' ended up being free lifetime supercharger, I could see some owners who don't really need that potentially feeling disappointed that their utility of the gift is not as much as it could be.

In the end, it's all speculation, and none of us have a choice what is given. But I just feel like Tesla would consider the broad desireability of their gift, as well as the cost to Tesla to give it.

Already done!
How about choosing between 2 things.

Supercharging or another picture?

Remember Supercharging raises the value of the car on resale. I'm not quite sure another picture would.

I guess it also matters where you are from. Ask how valuable supercharging is in California. People are fighting over SC stalls and wanting to arrest folks who walk away from their vehicles during which time their car completes supercharging and is taking up a spot.

Now in upper Minnesota? There isn't a supercharger to be found. They might want another picture - or a Tesla cookie.

How about choosing between 2 things.

Supercharging or another picture?

Remember Supercharging raises the value of the car on resale. I'm not quite sure another picture would.

I guess it also matters where you are from. Ask how valuable supercharging is in California. People are fighting over SC stalls and wanting to arrest folks who walk away from their vehicles during which time their car completes supercharging and is taking up a spot.

Now in upper Minnesota? There isn't a supercharger to be found. They might want another picture - or a Tesla cookie.
A choice sounds like a good idea from the customer side, but a hassle from Tesla's side in terms of tracking and fulfillment - especially if one of the choices is a physical product that has to be produce and delivered to only the customers that choose it. Seems like they're focused on keeping things ASAP - as simple as possible.

A choice sounds like a good idea from the customer side, but a hassle from Tesla's side in terms of tracking and fulfillment - especially if one of the choices is a physical product that has to be produce and delivered to only the customers that choose it. Seems like they're focused on keeping things ASAP - as simple as possible.
They already did a physical gift. Seems like it worked pretty well.

I'm not really into protecting Tesla on this one.

Any chance that the first run cars with a pre-determined bundle of options will come in cheaper than an a la carte customization of the same options later? That is, some of the savings of simplifying production will go to early customers as a thank you discount. I know that hasn't historically been the case with the signature series, but it could make people happier while not getting typical customization options.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
But speaking for myself, I like being unique and standing out. I like being noticed in ways I can control and in ways that I am proud of. A visual indication on/in the car that is not common would suit me well. I think many enthusiasts of any car brand like knowing that other like-minded people can spot what they are driving and get enjoyment from that.
Eh, you picked the wrong car with a couple million probably produced before model changes. Trying to stand out in an extremely common car (more on the road than a Toyota Camry) will look forced and attention seeking.