Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I will miss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always see this and laugh. Buy a used iPod for a hundred bucks = problem solved.
That would involve my getting a USB SSD drive and formatting it for music and for TeslaCam instead of having just a simple USB Thumb Drive.

It's not worth all that trouble for the rare instances where I'll be out of cell range.

I said I'll miss it; I didn't say it would be the end of the world. Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill?

That would involve my getting a USB SSD drive and formatting it for music and for TeslaCam instead of having just a simple USB Thumb Drive.

It's not worth all that trouble for the rare instances where I'll be out of cell range.

I said I'll miss it; I didn't say it would be the end of the world. Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill?

There are 2 USB slots. You can have a music drive separate from the TeslaCam drive. If you need more USB slots, get one of the many available USB hubs. Note however, that Tesla does not play well with proprietary music formats, so no ALAC.

With all due respect, Michelle, I don't think so. Just buy a used iPod, copy your CDs to it, and share via Bluetooth. No USB drive or cable required. Am I missing something? I've done this since day 1. If I couldn't access my catalogue of music in my Tesla, it WOULD be more than a molehill!! :)

Reactions: GSP
There are 2 USB slots. You can have a music drive separate from the TeslaCam drive. If you need more USB slots, get one of the many available USB hubs. Note however, that Tesla does not play well with proprietary music formats, so no ALAC.
Two slots, one USB C, and one USB A; the USB C slot is connected to the Qi charger for my iPhone; that leaves one slot. I had read about all the "solutions" including hubs, for this not-a-problem. Just because I said I'll miss it doesn't make it a problem. It's not worth the trouble

With all due respect, Michelle, I don't think so. Just buy a used iPod, copy your CDs to it, and share via Bluetooth. No USB drive or cable required. Am I missing something? I've done this since day 1. If I couldn't access my catalogue of music in my Tesla, it WOULD be more than a molehill!! :)
As I said, it's not worth the trouble.

By the way, only the 7th generation iPod Nano and the iPod Touch have Bluetooth. It's not just any iPod. Further, if I connect an iPod to the Tesla, my iPhone is disconnected. And since I'll be in range of cell towers much more often than not, I'd rather not disconnect my iPhone, especially since it can provide the music when in range.

Reactions: Runt8
No, as I said, I'm getting a Tesla, and since this is the Model 3 forum, I'm getting a Tesla 3. That doesn't mean that I won't miss those items, but the M3 is worth the loss.

So one thing I'll point out ... I thought I'd miss the heated steering wheel from my Caddy.... but I found it 100% unnecessary in the Tesla.

Why's that, you ask?

Because you can pre-heat the cabin SO efficiently. Even at the deadest cold of winter, the pre-heating is SO efficient that the entire cabin is warm when I get in. That includes the surfaces. My wife's fingers turn blue in the winter (Reynaud's syndrome) - so I expected it to be a major, major issue for her. Not even a little bit. She even said the Model 3 is by far the most comfortable winter car she's ever driven. Going from the house to the Model 3 is like moving from the bedroom to the living room - it's every bit as comfy as being in the house, temperature-wise. And given that we park outdoors all year around (garage is too small to fit the Model 3) - that's quite an accomplishment!

Well, yes and no. When you get into a cell-hole, the nav screen becomes your blue nav route on a piece of plain graph paper. I've often wished it would cache all map data along one's route during times it has signal.
Not really true

You periodically get OTA map updates.....so cell service doesn't matter.
5 1/2 years driving a model S - 4 of which had me driving through a spotty cell service area every week day. I'd lose streaming, and drop cell calls, but never once lost the nav screen. I only lost my Nav screen once.... when I lost my MCU1....but that's a completely different story.....

As I said, it's not worth the trouble.

By the way, only the 7th generation iPod Nano and the iPod Touch have Bluetooth. It's not just any iPod. Further, if I connect an iPod to the Tesla, my iPhone is disconnected. And since I'll be in range of cell towers much more often than not, I'd rather not disconnect my iPhone, especially since it can provide the music when in range.

You're right, Michelle, toggling between phone and iPod is a pain. You win! :)

BTW iPod Touch have had Bluetooth since 2nd gen (2008).