Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of ordering a model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m thinking of getting a model Y for my three kids to share when they spend time with us at the Jersey shore. I’m thinking of getting the performance but without the brake, wheel and lowered suspension. This way I still get the longer range but the faster car. Has anyone ordered a perf version and skipped the upgrades? It’s an 11% range reduction which isn’t a big deal but reviewers have been negative on the ride quality with the lowered suspension and 21” wheels.

oh, and let me come clean, I’d drive it a bit too. :)

I have it with the performance upgrade

The look is great with the wheels... ride is pretty good overall but i am in south florida.... in the ny area those wheels will get destroyed...

The performance without the upgrade has the same ride/suspension i think as the normal long range.... and no hit in range...

With other drivers as the primary use, maybe save $8k and get the AWD. Performance is the exact same vehicle except a software flag that makes the first few seconds off the line faster. When driving above 40 or so, they are basically identical in performance.
Hey -- I currently drive a 2018 Macan S, with 0-60 time in the low 5s. I ordered the performance but I am wondering how much difference I will feel. The non-performance is already a half-second faster than the Porsche. I'm not a huge car geek and mostly want the punch for passing, which it sounds like might not be any better in the Performance. Whattayathink?

PS -- I'd also save an extra $1500 from New York State if I buy the AWD vs the P.

same 0-60 time on any EV will be much more usable and faster than on any ICE due to the instant torque at any speed. My BMW X3 probably had something like 4.6s 0-60, but the only way to achieve that is to use launch control and basically rev the engine and let go of the brakes.No need for that with an EV...

Same for instant overtaking - ICE will always be slower due to the need for downshifting.

Even my Leaf (8 second 0-60) feels much faster than you'd expect at low speeds.

I don’t think I was clear, you can order a performance car but separately select the performance add ons.

• Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals

I was wondering anyone has ordered a perf version but omitted the 5 items above. I ask because you lose ~11% of the range and I’ve read the ride is very harsh with the big wheels and lowered suspension. That being said I saw a blue one when I was getting my MS serviced in blue (awesome color) with the performance upgrades and it looked fantastic.

Yes, as stated previously, I didn't want the added items so I opted to not get the PuP (performance upgrade package).

• Who is realistically going to be disappointed that they can't get over 145 mph vs 155 mph
  • The 21's are too heavy, and too little tire for the roads around me.
  • Don't need performance brakes, and don't want any additional cost that might be associated with replacing performance brakes (even though it seems like they might be the same brakes as the LR, just with red paint).
  • Didn't want the lowered suspension. The Model Y already has one of the lowest ground clearances in it's segment, i'll take all the clearance I can get (might even consider a small lift if the range hit isn't too much).
  • Aluminum alloy pedals would be nice.
So I don't want all that, but I do want that break neck speed and to know I have the quickest Y I could have possibly gotten (or else I might always wonder what could have been and be tempted to upgrade at a big depreciation loss in the future).

That is why I went Performance non PuP.

That being said, yeah I think $8,000 is a lot for just a software switch, and if you aren't like me and get tempted then save the 8k and get a LR. Though people are paying $7,000 for FSD which is also just a software switch.

I ordered and received in late March exactly what you are considering (though with the FSD) and I have absolutely no regrets. I’m more into function than style, and the higher range was a big factor me. In addition I want the added clearance when I take it on backroads and up to the mountains in the snow.

However, the 21” rims and brakes are gorgeous.

I don't notice the wheels on my MY but that’s ok. IMHO, The 19” wheels don't take anything away though they certainly don't add anything. I read that the smaller rims have a more comfortable ride, and that, amongst the other items discussed, was more important to me than the aesthetics of the 20” or 21” wheels.

The performance is astounding. My first Tesla and now I understand why so many on this thread profess it is a blast to drive. I live in the wine country (Sonoma County) and today just took a left (rather going on the freeway) and let the MY drive me home on back country roads. The latest software versions really helps the auto steer on these winding roads, as before, it did not slow down before the turns and now it does. It still drives like a novice driver but you can see it getting better with every software release.

I really like the lane change feature of the FSD, and I think, hope, that my investment will be rewarded as new capabilities are added. I feel like I am part of a grand science experiment. An expensive adventure admittedly, but again, no regrets.

The main reason I got the FSD and Performance package was because ten years ago I brought the wrong car. I wanted a low mileage Lexus 450H with AWD and red paint. I couldn’t find one, and after a while a red, two-wheel drive model showed up with only 16k miles and I jumped on it. I love the car, still have it, but I always have regretted not getting the technology I truly wanted when I prioritized aesthetics.

Reactions: Zer0t