Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinkware U1000 Dash Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of getting this dash cam for the Model S..... I am being told that the dash cam has a voltage cut-off for the parking mode and automatically cut off when that point is reached.....my question is would it be possible to power from the power behind the rearview mirror and use the car battery pack to power and not have to worry about the dash cam shutting down after a few days....thanks....hope I was able to ask the right question

The Thinkware dash cams are good cameras. We've seen reports on TMC of people having installed them and very satisfied.

But the feature you are describing is in the Thinkware firmware. Its not the car turning it off. Its not the car's power turning it off when the power behind the speaker grille at the rear view mirror is used as a power source. And its for this reason that many people use Blackvue dash cams in S/X.

The Thinkware dash cams are good cameras. We've seen reports on TMC of people having installed them and very satisfied.

But the feature you are describing is in the Thinkware firmware. Its not the car turning it off. Its not the car's power turning it off when the power behind the speaker grille at the rear view mirror is used as a power source. And its for this reason that many people use Blackvue dash cams in S/X.
thank you.....I am somewhat confused....I thought as the cars battery runs down the dash cam will sense it and turn off the dash cam.....is that right.....I have read lot of issues with the Blackvu....cards going bad, units having to be replaced and that is the 900 S unit I think....I would like to have a front camera and a back camera that gives me time and speeds...I guess I will continue to investigate....the cars dash cam is just ok but has no sound or other information...it would me nice if Tesla would include some information then it would be a good dash cam...maybe in the future...thanks again...

I have an older model ThinkWare and have been very happy with it. Mine requires a connection to constant power, and a switched (accessory) power that comes on when the car starts. It uses that to know when to go in/out of parking mode.

I think the cutoff you're talking about is if it senses the battery voltage goes too low. I've never had that happen on my Model S, but my girlfriend has the same camera in her Nissan Altima, and it does go into sleep mode after a while. That seems like a good idea for ICE cars to me, you don't want to be stuck unable to start the car. I've left my car for several days and had parking mode recordings the whole time.

I have an older model ThinkWare and have been very happy with it. Mine requires a connection to constant power, and a switched (accessory) power that comes on when the car starts. It uses that to know when to go in/out of parking mode.

I think the cutoff you're talking about is if it senses the battery voltage goes too low. I've never had that happen on my Model S, but my girlfriend has the same camera in her Nissan Altima, and it does go into sleep mode after a while. That seems like a good idea for ICE cars to me, you don't want to be stuck unable to start the car. I've left my car for several days and had parking mode recordings the whole time.
yes, thats what I was trying to get at.....I think a Tesla will never have that happen with normal use and storage for trips....its my understanding I can get power from the OBDI connector...that will give me 24/7 power and cut on and off with car turning on and off which set the parking mode....

I am torn though between the new U1000 and Blackvue 900S 4ch 4k.....want to get 2 units....gonna try and set up front and right rear window and one for back and left rear window....trying to get as close to 360 coverage as I can

thank you.....I am somewhat confused....I thought as the cars battery runs down the dash cam will sense it and turn off the dash cam.....is that right.....I have read lot of issues with the Blackvu....cards going bad, units having to be replaced and that is the 900 S unit I think....I would like to have a front camera and a back camera that gives me time and speeds...I guess I will continue to investigate....the cars dash cam is just ok but has no sound or other information...it would me nice if Tesla would include some information then it would be a good dash cam...maybe in the future...thanks again...
I read good things about thinkware. I have a blackvue and it was acting up twice. First time I changed the sd card and it worked again but the problems came back. I thought it was a faulty unit but thought maybe it was the sd card since I used a different brand from the first time (used a samsung dashcam chip). Bought and official blackvue chip and its been working fine for the past few months.

Blackvue is very finicky with the microsd card used. I feel like its more popular in these forums so you are destined to read some people having issues with it. I know many people who have them installed and the only problems they ever had were the sd card going bad.

I run mine 24/7 which may have attributed to it failing

I read good things about thinkware. I have a blackvue and it was acting up twice. First time I changed the sd card and it worked again but the problems came back. I thought it was a faulty unit but thought maybe it was the sd card since I used a different brand from the first time (used a samsung dashcam chip). Bought and official blackvue chip and its been working fine for the past few months.

Blackvue is very finicky with the microsd card used. I feel like its more popular in these forums so you are destined to read some people having issues with it. I know many people who have them installed and the only problems they ever had were the sd card going bad.

I run mine 24/7 which may have attributed to it failing

thats what I got from reading...it appears they are very finicky about the sd cards.....

yes, thats what I was trying to get at.....I think a Tesla will never have that happen with normal use and storage for trips....its my understanding I can get power from the OBDI connector...that will give me 24/7 power and cut on and off with car turning on and off which set the parking mode....

I am torn though between the new U1000 and Blackvue 900S 4ch 4k.....want to get 2 units....gonna try and set up front and right rear window and one for back and left rear window....trying to get as close to 360 coverage as I can

@r1200gs4ok, You said, "I think a Tesla will never have that happen with normal use and storage for trips". We need to quantify the first part of you thinking there. What applies to the S/X does not always apply to the 3/Y. So, while S/X likely will not have the problem under normal use, it could occur under similar circumstances on the 3/Y.

The 3/Y do not have the same method for powering devices. On the 3/Y any device connected to the electrical system should not be directly connected to the battery. It bypasses the battery management system. If drain occurs, the BMS doesn't know about it, and the 12V battery literally can be drained to the point it must be replaced. In the first couple of years of the 3, there were many reports of premature 12V battery failure. They were replaced under warranty, and sometimes more than once until owners were told they would have to pay for the second+ replacement. Many people started adding a Power Assist device made by Blackvue for Blackvue dash cams to power the camera.

I've had Blackvue 500, 550, 650, 750, and currently have 2 DR900-2CHs. Never had a camera unit failure, but burned up 3-4 cards in 7 years. I liked to use 16's and 32's because they lessen my loss expense when one died. But I think they wore our sooner.

Yes, you can get power from OBD II connector - persistent power. But its more convenient to get persistent power from the 4 connector Intrusion Detector plug behind the speaker grille in the headliner. If I recall correctly, Thinkware is 5V? Blackvue is 12V. So regardless, I think, you need to step the 12V down for the Thinkware.

@r1200gs4ok, You said, "I think a Tesla will never have that happen with normal use and storage for trips". We need to quantify the first part of you thinking there. What applies to the S/X does not always apply to the 3/Y. So, while S/X likely will not have the problem under normal use, it could occur under similar circumstances on the 3/Y.

The 3/Y do not have the same method for powering devices. On the 3/Y any device connected to the electrical system should not be directly connected to the battery. It bypasses the battery management system. If drain occurs, the BMS doesn't know about it, and the 12V battery literally can be drained to the point it must be replaced. In the first couple of years of the 3, there were many reports of premature 12V battery failure. They were replaced under warranty, and sometimes more than once until owners were told they would have to pay for the second+ replacement. Many people started adding a Power Assist device made by Blackvue for Blackvue dash cams to power the camera.

I've had Blackvue 500, 550, 650, 750, and currently have 2 DR900-2CHs. Never had a camera unit failure, but burned up 3-4 cards in 7 years. I liked to use 16's and 32's because they lessen my loss expense when one died. But I think they wore our sooner.

Yes, you can get power from OBD II connector - persistent power. But its more convenient to get persistent power from the 4 connector Intrusion Detector plug behind the speaker grille in the headliner. If I recall correctly, Thinkware is 5V? Blackvue is 12V. So regardless, I think, you need to step the 12V down for the Thinkware.
Great post
Didnt realize thinkware may be 5v. Stepping it down just introduces another point of failure.

I believe you are correct. 16 and 32 cards should wear out quicker. Blackvue 64gb card cost me about $50. I hope it lasts me 2 years. My original lexar card I used lasted 2 years and it was 64gb.

@BigTonyTones, you awoke in me an old memory of something that might be useful.
There's a difference in the SD card - even among the same manufacturers. Its not easy zero-ing in on the best card. But this might help. Its also 4 years old.

And here's an article that you can trust for an unbiased opinion. He does his homework.
Ultimate 2020 Tesla Dashcam Guide – TeslaTap

And finally we are not alone. There's resources when we look for help. Check out the SD Association org. They even have their own SD Card Formatter.

One nice feature I like about a dashcam is to be able to check the car remotely using the Cloud.
In my case, I have a Blackvue DR900X providing a free Cloud service with some limitations, but sufficient for my needs.

With the Cloud I can get alerts and check my car remotely using my phone.
This is a feature not provided by the Tesla Sentry mode.

For the Cloud connection I use a small hotspot WiFi router inside my car.
This allows me to use any Comcast hotspot or free hotspots when I parked in the street.
If there is no hotspot available then I use my phone in hotspot mode.

If you want to be always connected even when driving, Blackvue provides an LTE module
But in my case I use the Cloud only when parked so I use my home WiFi service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki

I did some looking around and I agree...Power in better behind the mirror....I also agree, I want 12v and do not want to have to put another devise in just to convert down to 5v....Maybe all the iffy comments on the earlier DR900-2ch unit were infant mortality and the current version has weeded those issues out...

I will be looking agin at the DR900-2ch

@r1200gs4ok, While you are wiring you might want to think future proofing. Extra cameras. (I wish someone had mentioned it to me.

Here's some Blackvue unique ideas for you.

1. Look on something like this on Amazon Blackvue Pigtail will provide power and save you from cutting up the Blackvue power cord.
2. Here's the Interface cable to tap easily tap into power behind the speaker grille. (You have no idea how far we came to find these connectors and make it easy to install the dash cam. whew)
3. You do not need the 35' cable to the rear that comes with the Blackvue kit. Its too long. Use this 20 foot version. Works great, 15 feet less wire to have to hide.
4. I first installed one Blackvue 2CH camera (front and rear windows). Then had a brainstorm. I bought another Blackvue and mounted them (of course I needed more cable) different. I mounted one's Primary in the front windshield, and the Rear - not in the rear, but in the left quarter window on the left rear seat. And the other 2CH camera, the Primary in the Rear liftgate window, and the rear camera in the right quarter window on the right rear seat side This gives me 4 cameras and 360 degrees of coverage. I used a couple of my local Tesla club decals on the quarter windows to conceal the camera lens, so it goes unnoticed by most people.

I don't think anyone had reported doing 2 2CH cameras before. I wished someone had given me the idea when I was running and hiding cables. Would have been more than 50% easier if I had been doing all three 20 foot cables and running power one time instead of multiple efforts. You can tuck the cable from front to left quarter window by in the headliner. On the rear - the liftgate glass, its cleaner but more difficult to run the wires through the trim and the black rubber boot into the body and over to the right side C pillar. to the right quarter window.

There's many videos and articles written to guide you for dash cam and Blackvue dash cam installation. Use them. If they don't one last thing, don't run your wires along the left C Pillar. We've learned. There's car antenna wires there. They will interfere with dash cam signals.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
@r1200gs4ok, While you are wiring you might want to think future proofing. Extra cameras. (I wish someone had mentioned it to me.

Here's some Blackvue unique ideas for you.

1. Look on something like this on Amazon Blackvue Pigtail will provide power and save you from cutting up the Blackvue power cord.
2. Here's the Interface cable to tap easily tap into power behind the speaker grille. (You have no idea how far we came to find these connectors and make it easy to install the dash cam. whew)
3. You do not need the 35' cable to the rear that comes with the Blackvue kit. Its too long. Use this 20 foot version. Works great, 15 feet less wire to have to hide.
4. I first installed one Blackvue 2CH camera (front and rear windows). Then had a brainstorm. I bought another Blackvue and mounted them (of course I needed more cable) different. I mounted one's Primary in the front windshield, and the Rear - not in the rear, but in the left quarter window on the left rear seat. And the other 2CH camera, the Primary in the Rear liftgate window, and the rear camera in the right quarter window on the right rear seat side This gives me 4 cameras and 360 degrees of coverage. I used a couple of my local Tesla club decals on the quarter windows to conceal the camera lens, so it goes unnoticed by most people.

I don't think anyone had reported doing 2 2CH cameras before. I wished someone had given me the idea when I was running and hiding cables. Would have been more than 50% easier if I had been doing all three 20 foot cables and running power one time instead of multiple efforts. You can tuck the cable from front to left quarter window by in the headliner. On the rear - the liftgate glass, its cleaner but more difficult to run the wires through the trim and the black rubber boot into the body and over to the right side C pillar. to the right quarter window.

There's many videos and articles written to guide you for dash cam and Blackvue dash cam installation. Use them. If they don't one last thing, don't run your wires along the left C Pillar. We've learned. There's car antenna wires there. They will interfere with dash cam signals.

you are right.....I had seen a instal video last night using 2 DR900-2ch....front and rear for 4ch and the 1080 on the quarter windows on the back...I will look up the cable you listed....thanks for the very helpful information..

Very welcome. Thank you for the thank you. In all that rambling, I forgot to explain why I wish someone had told me. Its nice to have installed all the cable at one time, and have the luxury to decide later or change from single 2CH to Dual 2CH or back.

Very welcome. Thank you for the thank you. In all that rambling, I forgot to explain why I wish someone had told me. Its nice to have installed all the cable at one time, and have the luxury to decide later or change from single 2CH to Dual 2CH or back.
agreed....on the pig-tail.....you still have to solder, so do you cut the Blackvue cable and solder to that?

No, skip/ignore the Blackvue cord. Its lighter adapter on one end and 1.3mm plug on the other. Use the pigtail and the "interface cable". Solder them/clip them, then you plug the blue connector into the car's plug and the 1.3mm plug into the Blackvue. Even though that pigtail is 6 feet of cord, you only need 10-12 inches. Cut the extra.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
No, skip/ignore the Blackvue cord. Its lighter adapter on one end and 1.3mm plug on the other. Use the pigtail and the "interface cable". Solder them/clip them, then you plug the blue connector into the car's plug and the 1.3mm plug into the Blackvue. Even though that pigtail is 6 feet of cord, you only need 10-12 inches. Cut the extra.
the other end of the interface cable connects to the 2nd DR900-2ch for its power?

No, the interface cable is power from the car. You can use the T connector on the interface cable and slide the two wires from the pigtail into the interface cable. The interface cable's blue connector plugs into the four pin connector behind the speaker grille. The "steel plug" end of the pigtail plugs into the Blackvue primary/front camera.

The long cable, (Blackvue provides a 35 foot cable), I recommend a duplicate that's only 20 foot, connects the Front/Primary Blackvue to the Rear/Secondary Blackvue camera. This cable provides both power and data transfer connection back to the front camera. The front camera's SD card will contain video from both the front and the rear.

The bonus of all this is, when you go into the SC, they will unplug power to your front camera. It then removes power going to the rear camera without it having to be unplugged at the camera itself. Then when you plug power back into the front, the rear comes back up too.

Last edited: