Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting sideswiped in a Model 3 looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you are ok. Did it feel like collision avoidance kicked in at all? there seems to be a very slight swerve to the left just before he hits, was that you or the car?

I only ask because I've had collision avoidance move more aggressively (at least, it felt pretty aggressive at the time, but it's had to say given the circumstances) to avoid someone coming into my lane from the front passenger side.

Glad you are ok. Did it feel like collision avoidance kicked in at all? there seems to be a very slight swerve to the left just before he hits, was that you or the car?

I only ask because I've had collision avoidance move more aggressively (at least, it felt pretty aggressive at the time, but it's had to say given the circumstances) to avoid someone coming into my lane from the front passenger side.

Side collision avoidance didn't happen. Listen to the video with sound. AP disengaged once the hit happen.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I've been thinking about what I could have done different. I was driving on autopilot and listening to a podcast, and I wasn't monitoring my blindspot constantly. Had I known for sure that my blindspot was clear, I might have been able to get out of the way in time. I've been told that it is better not to attempt any evasive maneuver unless you are 100% sure you will not cause more damage, in fact, if I had tried to get into the left lane and hit someone in my blindspot, I would probably have become partially at fault.

Looks like you handled it well from the video. Too bad the rear cam wasn't working. I have a 2-CH Blackvue set up too and don't think much about the rear cam. Clearly shows you're not at fault, though, and glad the car protected you.

That being said (and not criticizing you at all) but I think EAP allows us to let our guard down thinking the car is handling the driving. It obviously can't compensate for something unexpected like this. If I'm driving normally, I'm constantly scanning the side and rear view mirrors while monitoring my speed and keeping my blind spots clear. When I have Autosteer engaged, I'm probably not as defensive as I could be and seeing something like this happens scares me.

Reactions: JeffnReno
70% chance it began by looking at a cell phone. Then the over corrections began.

The right lane in the video is an exit lane. It is very common for people who are sick and tired of having been stuck in traffic to floor it in the exit lane. Traffic wasn't particularly heavy at this point in time. The driver of the pickup claims that another car hit him first (I guess maybe nudged the back of his truck so it started fish tailing) and after that he clearly overcorrected and lost control. I have dash cam video that was cut out of this short video though that doesn't show the supposed car that hit him passing us (and he supposedly fled the scene), and listening to the audio I hear no crunching/crashing sound prior to the tire squealing. That doesn't mean he isn't telling the truth, just seems a bit odd.

Reactions: emorog
The pickup truck was completely mangled and un-drivable. I took them half an hour just getting it up on the flatbed. The driver walked away with no injuries at all though so good news all around on that front. I'm actually surprised he managed to get out of the cab on his own.
Not surprising the pick-up was entirely trashed. Besides peeling up the side against your car you can hear it smuck into the concrete barrier just after leaving your camera's field of vision.

Last edited:
More like later that night. Mostly swearing though since I'm concerned they will total the car, and it will mess up all the tax credits and other rebates that I will have to pay back (and likely not be eligible for again).

As was mentioned and what we were told by our accountant - if you buy an EV not for the purpose of resale, you are eligible for the tax credit regardless of whether circumstances change ie if the car is totaled or if like in my case, you sell it to go from RWD to P3D. Be sure to check with someone locally though..

I don't know what Ca does since we didn't apply for it, preferring car pool stickers instead but I've not heard of having car smashed as impacting your rebate. Ditto for PG&E for that matter, feels like a loop hole but I'll take it - every car registered was eligible for the $500 rebate for charging at home.

PS I didn't want to 'like' the original post because ouch but am glad you and the car seemed to handle the hit and remain in control and no injury to you and yours..

Reactions: MXWing

I think that was me. The way I remember it was that I had just cleared my blindspot and pulled on the steering wheel to move over to the left (and basically disengaging auto steer) right before he hit. But that's just the way I remember it and brains suck at remembering these things (for example, I thought I was in the second lane until I watched the video).

Reactions: ThreeDX and emorog
As was mentioned and what we were told by our accountant - if you buy an EV not for the purpose of resale, you are eligible for the tax credit regardless of whether circumstances change ie if the car is totaled or if like in my case, you sell it to go from RWD to P3D. Be sure to check with someone locally though..

I don't know what Ca does since we didn't apply for it, preferring car pool stickers instead but I've not heard of having car smashed as impacting your rebate. Ditto for PG&E for that matter, feels like a loop hole but I'll take it - every car registered was eligible for the $500 rebate for charging at home.

PS I didn't want to 'like' the original post because ouch but am glad you and the car seemed to handle the hit and remain in control and no injury to you and yours..

I voted informative on the OP.

It's a Federal Tax credit so it doesn't matter what state though OP is in California just like us anyway.

I would have no qualms at all going for any and all rebates. It's legally valid and don't see a moral issue either. OP's car was taken from him through no fault.

Reactions: P85_DA
Any pictures of the damage to your car?

It was pitch black and traffic rushing by at high speed, so it wasn't a good environment for taking pictures, but I did take one,

IMG_0046.jpg

That was the scariest video I've seen in a while. Knew from the title what was going to happen but seeing it happen like that still had my mouth drop open. So glad you were OK and after getting pushed over two lanes of traffic glad no one else got caught up in this. Thank you for sharing the video and photo and the experience with us. Man sorry it likely cost you the vehicle you likely waited a long time to get. On the positive side for you and all of us, with that kind of hit it was good to see that you were okay and well protected. How well the Model 3 was going to do in an accident was one of my main concerns when reserving it as the crash reports hadn't come out at that point. Will you get another MCR assuming they total it?

Interesting point you made about not seeing in the Blackvue footage any other car who might have been involved in the accident pass you by. Does make you wonder if the truck's driver was lying. I can't stand when people lie about accepting responsibility in situations like this. Too bad about the rear camera that would have settled it likely. Did the police come and issue him a ticket and ask for your video?

Best of luck. How are you feeling today?

That was the scariest video I've seen in a while. Knew from the title what was going to happen but seeing it happen like that still had my mouth drop open. So glad you were OK and after getting pushed over two lanes of traffic glad no one else got caught up in this. Thank you for sharing the video and photo and the experience with us. Man sorry it likely cost you the vehicle you likely waited a long time to get. On the positive side for you and all of us, with that kind of hit it was good to see that you were okay and well protected. How well the Model 3 was going to do in an accident was one of my main concerns when reserving it as the crash reports hadn't come out at that point. Will you get another MCR assuming they total it?

Interesting point you made about not seeing in the Blackvue footage any other car who might have been involved in the accident pass you by. Does make you wonder if the truck's driver was lying. I can't stand when people lie about accepting responsibility in situations like this. Too bad about the rear camera that would have settled it likely. Did the police come and issue him a ticket and ask for your video?

Best of luck. How are you feeling today?

I already have a multi-coat red Model S, so I'd likely go with something else for the M3 next time (not sure why I got MCR on both my cars).

I'm not sure if the CHP issued a ticket or if they will but I'm actually going to be handing over the dashcam footage to them in a few hours. I showed the officer the actual impact video on site and after investigating the scene, he said he wanted to see more of it. I suppose he thinks there is something that doesn't quite add up.

And I'm doing as well as can be expected I suppose, thanks for asking! Even if insurance makes me whole again and all that, it is still going to be a lot of stress and logistics to get everything sorted... and it is the 4th time in as many years one of my Teslas have been in the body shop. It is very frustrating. I got rear-ended once in my Model S.. Then my previous model S got vandalized by a gang when I was stopped at a stoplight (they started beating on my car with tire wrenches and other tools).. then some guy backed into the same car in a parking lot.. and now this.

I've been told that it is better not to attempt any evasive maneuver unless you are 100% sure you will not cause more damage, in fact, if I had tried to get into the left lane and hit someone in my blindspot, I would probably have become partially at fault.
This is true. I purposely ran over a paint bucket in my lane last year because the amount of time it would take to 100% assure I was not going to turn into someone else's lane was far less than the closing time of the collision with the bucket. Not worth it.