Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting sideswiped in a Model 3 looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have a multi-coat red Model S, so I'd likely go with something else for the M3 next time (not sure why I got MCR on both my cars).

I'm not sure if the CHP issued a ticket or if they will but I'm actually going to be handing over the dashcam footage to them in a few hours. I showed the officer the actual impact video on site and after investigating the scene, he said he wanted to see more of it. I suppose he thinks there is something that doesn't quite add up.

And I'm doing as well as can be expected I suppose, thanks for asking! Even if insurance makes me whole again and all that, it is still going to be a lot of stress and logistics to get everything sorted... and it is the 4th time in as many years one of my Teslas have been in the body shop. It is very frustrating. I got rear-ended once in my Model S.. Then my previous model S got vandalized by a gang when I was stopped at a stoplight (they started beating on my car with tire wrenches and other tools).. then some guy backed into the same car in a parking lot.. and now this.
Perhaps the truck driver gave a vehicle description for the first collision they claimed and it match something that shows up on the video the police officer will likely want to try track that down. Or the police want to try figure out if it was an imaginary description and are trying to rule out it's existence (so they can figure out whether to charge the truck driver with lying to them).

I've been thinking about what I could have done different. I was driving on autopilot and listening to a podcast, and I wasn't monitoring my blindspot constantly. Had I known for sure that my blindspot was clear, I might have been able to get out of the way in time. I've been told that it is better not to attempt any evasive maneuver unless you are 100% sure you will not cause more damage, in fact, if I had tried to get into the left lane and hit someone in my blindspot, I would probably have become partially at fault.

Not much you an do different. Something like that statistically will probably not happen again. Or if it does, its going to be 12 years from now when you've forgotten about this thread.

Can't control a rogue vehicle coming to take you out. You can only have limited movement along the x-y axis.

What you can control is being in the safest car ever tested by the NHTSA when something does happen.

One difference in all the videos we've seen where avoidance kicked in was the cars were merging into a Model 3 from the side. Where dashcam videos always showed the car within field of view. This truck came from behind and fast, you didn't see the truck until it had already sideswiped the car. Perhaps it didn't see the truck fast enough, like an avoidance blindspot.

That truck was speeding AF, that's some scary action movie crap. I would've been terrified. The Model 3 took it like it's an old school chunky Volvo geesh. The truck sideswiped the car, tried to swing its tail around and the Model 3 just said "no".

Reactions: MXWing
However the sound of screeching tires was a sign of things to come. Hate hearing that sound while I'm driving on the expressway. Once saw a horrible collision happen a bit in front of me and fortunately was able to move out of the way, not completely unscathed, something stuck in my grill I could see tumbling at me but couldn't avoid, but did better than others caught up in it.

One difference in all the videos we've seen where avoidance kicked in was the cars were merging into a Model 3 from the side. Where dashcam videos always showed the car within field of view. This truck came from behind and fast, you didn't see the truck until it had already sideswiped the car. Perhaps it didn't see the truck fast enough, like an avoidance blindspot.
The angle the truck struck the OPs car at, and from the tire squealing going on prior out of frame, is very suggestive that the truck was at a much sharper angle than normal traffic sees, so yeah that means a lot less time for sensors to note it as an object approaching from the side like that.

My car has moved sideways a few times to try to avoid collision but usually it has been when someone has been slowly drifting into my lane.
This happened way too fast I think for anyone to do anything about it. I showed CHP the footage yesterday, and they seem to think that what really happened is that he was driving way too fast, likely using his cellphone, and when he looked up and realized there was slower traffic in front of him, he tried to brake but couldn't stop fast enough so he swerved into the right lane and then lost control. Supposedly this is also what the skidmarks seems to indicate when they came back the next day to look at them. This guy must have been going really fast. I was doing 63mph at the time and there is clearly a large speed differential when he crashes into me (and that is after he has been braking for a few seconds).

This is true. I purposely ran over a paint bucket in my lane last year because the amount of time it would take to 100% assure I was not going to turn into someone else's lane was far less than the closing time of the collision with the bucket. Not worth it.
I once ran over an archery target that appeared suddenly when the car in front of me swerved to avoid it- I was fenced in my lane and no room to maneuver. Went under my MINI Countryman, taking out an axle boot and tearing up some of the undercarriage. The owner of the load took responsibility but I was cautioned by the CHP that if I filed a report, I could be cited. In California, the driver is at fault for not controlling the vehicle if it hits something. Even if it jumps out in the road in front of you, like a deer. Or an archery target. On the plus side, the weather here is fantastic.

What? No swearing or crying in the audio? You are one steely-eyed missile man @schwedisch.

Were you on autopilot? Obviously running v9. Did you hit the dashcam icon to save the video? Hope you are back on the road soon.

not dashcam footage from v9 as it does not capture audio. also, at the bottom of the footage you can read blackvue.

i hope in future iterations tesla will capture 360 video as impact is not limited to the front of the vehicle.

Since it was mentioned, CVRP has exemptions for unavoidable vehicle sale.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

The California Man said:
If a manufacturer defect or other unforeseen circumstances require the replacement of a CVRP rebated vehicle with another vehicle of the same technology type (FCEV, BEV, PHEV, etc.) or upgrade (e.g., replace PHEV with BEV), the Ad
ministrator, in conjunction with CARB, has discretion to allow updated information to be provided with no return of CVRP rebate funds.

The California Man said:
Resale of a vehicle or return of a leased vehicle to a dealer may be allowed within this 30-month period if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. To employ this provision, contact the Administrator to initiate this process.

The California Man said:
Purchasers or lessees who must resell a vehicle or return a leased vehicle to a dealer due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances such as military duty or a totaled vehicle may be exempt from returning the prorated rebate amount.

I suspect they'll be more friendly in circumstances where the collision wasn't your fault.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I was on autopilot, but I can't remember if I had disengaged it or not at the time of impact. As soon as I heard the squealing tires, I knew something was up and I wanted to move into the left lane just in case something was coming my way, so I was checking my blindspot before trying to do an evasive maneuver, but obviously it was too late.. having said that, I'm not sure whether or not the autopilot was on at the moments of impact.

I'm actually surprised myself at how calm I appear to be but I guess it just took some time for the situation to sink in.
Good work staying calm and sharing the experience.
That was kind of the hit I had in my Nissan Versa Note in 2009 and car lost traction, tires came out, steering was on rim, skid to the other side of highway, hit the boulder, came back to the middle Lane, spinned twice, smokes, radiatiator and few other things fell to the ground. Luckily traffic stopped and internal hardcore frames kept us alive.
With M3 it looks like almost nothing happened. Just Wow! Happy to get mine last month.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Almost had this happen to me this morning. Just like you previously stated about idiots using the exit lane to speed past slower traffic and cut back in at the last moment. I was fortunate that I heard his engine floored and caught him/her coming into me so I nailed the brakes at the last second and avoided the impact. I rarely hit the horn and give the finger but I reacted out of reflex more than anything else. The roadrage still is affecting my blood pressure but the morron just continued speeding away and thankfully we will probably never meet again.

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP
Since it was mentioned, CVRP has exemptions for unavoidable vehicle sale.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

I suspect they'll be more friendly in circumstances where the collision wasn't your fault.

Thanks for this information. So it looks like I'm good on CVRP, federal tax credit and PG&E credit. For me the only outstanding question then is the San Joaquin Valley Drive Clean rebate (for which I have to send yearly reports as well with my insurance information, so it would be impossible to hide, not that I would).

I did hear back from the insurance adjuster though, and as far as they can see right now (but they are going to have to start dismantle the car to see if there are any hidden damages they can't see right now) it looks like it is going to be possible to repair it.

Reactions: emorog