Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This must be the silliest reason to sell a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent decades working in power plants and in refineries. Never met anyone who had leukemia in the power industry. (and there's a lot more electricity in a 1000 MW power plant than in a 100kw Tesla!) but, I did meet quite a few folks in refining that had leukemia. Seems to me that gasoline is worse for your health than electricity. But, if she's that worried, tell her to give up her cell phone and microwave.

• Love
Reactions: StarLog and CliffG
So I bought my wife a16 MS 75 a couple months ago and she absolutely loves it but after a brief conversation with one of the hockey parents my wife comes home and refuses to drive the car. She tells me she doest want it and to get her any other car but a Tesla or EV for that matter. Puzzled I ask why. She tells me that this hockey parent was also looking to switch from a Maserati but after extensive research found that the Tesla causes testicular cancer as well as Leukemia. Now i know that it's a bunch crock but how do I calm her down and keep from making what I think is a mistake by trading the Tesla? I personally think its silly but even if there's a 1% chance of it being true I cant have her driving the car as my kids(and of course my wife) spend most of their car rides in it. What do I do and how can I make her feel safe in it? Anyone?

Ask if the pseudo science “Maserati Hockey Parent” vaccinated her children.

If not, well, I you have your answer on how to handle it.

So I bought my wife a16 MS 75 a couple months ago and she absolutely loves it but after a brief conversation with one of the hockey parents my wife comes home and refuses to drive the car. She tells me she doest want it and to get her any other car but a Tesla or EV for that matter. Puzzled I ask why. She tells me that this hockey parent was also looking to switch from a Maserati but after extensive research found that the Tesla causes testicular cancer as well as Leukemia. Now i know that it's a bunch crock but how do I calm her down and keep from making what I think is a mistake by trading the Tesla? I personally think its silly but even if there's a 1% chance of it being true I cant have her driving the car as my kids(and of course my wife) spend most of their car rides in it. What do I do and how can I make her feel safe in it? Anyone?

I am not joking but if you want to minimize your chances of Prostate cancer, research does show ,having sex twice a week reduces your chance of Prostate cancer by 20 %

Reactions: StarLog
I have a dual motor M3, so I'm in real trouble ...
Flying in planes is bad for your health due to radiation. you're closer to the sun and its cosmic rays!!
This was my wifi baked brain's contribution to this discussion :). Time to call it a day!

So I know this is all a bit fun, laughing at the flat earth folks, but I am not at all surprised how widespread misinformation propagates in society. Especially when it comes to something people can't see or feel and need a degree in calculus to even begin to understand.

EMF exists, yes it can cause cancer, yes non-ionizing radiation is a health issue (if adequate safety precautions are not followed). But what your wife, and others should know, is that these health risks are known, studied, designed out, remediated, eliminated, studied again, designs improved, patented, new risks found and eliminated. To the point safety regulations are an encyclopedia size book set.

Yes, cars, planes, tanks, busses, fire engines, all get tested. I couldn't find the picture of a Tesla, I'm sure it's on these forums somewhere. Basically this is what a real test looks like.

mira.jpg

With gasoline cars, EMF safety regulations required coiled spark plug wires to replace the solid core. The average customer only noticed the AM radio interference was gone, not that cancer risk improved. Then some companies saw that coil over plug designs would reduce that EMF even farther, as well as a slight MPG improvement. The vehicles 12v battery was changed from positive ground, to negative ground, reducing ionization of the frame. People barely noticed that they rust less quickly. The cancer risk from electric ignition was for all realistic purposes eliminated without anyone really noticing. Cars began to use special glass with minerals that reflect or absorb outside radiation, such as IR, UV and cosmic rays. Cancer risks are lower in the car, than standing outside it.

EV's like Tesla specifically design their high voltage batteries to be shielded against EMF. Wires of specific metals, sizes, designs, strands, gauge, length and the route around the chassis. Motors have specific controllers, capacitors, sensors, shielding, etc. The CAN bus wires are routed to be a specific distance from passengers, the FSD cameras are designed to have low emissions. Even the cellular modules and passenger side mirror antennas are tested and certified to some cancer safety spec. Taken to the extreme Tesla uses H.265 video compression, and neural network trigger before ever sending any video footage over the cellular data plan. I'm sure they thought more about data costs than cancer, but it does reduce that risk from 1 in a billion to 1 in a trillion.

Out of interest I tested my Tesla with an EMF meter and it was fine

I spent decades working in power plants and in refineries. Never met anyone who had leukemia in the power industry. (and there's a lot more electricity in a 1000 MW power plant than in a 100kw Tesla!) but, I did meet quite a few folks in refining that had leukemia. Seems to me that gasoline is worse for your health than electricity. But, if she's that worried, tell her to give up her cell phone and microwave.

And hair dryer and curling iron. That will REALLY make her pause.