Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Safety Trick—Good Idea or Bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd been taught to put the wheel under the car when changing a spare so that if the jack fails, it will drop onto the wheel and not the ground.

The M3's wheel doesn't fit under the side of the car. I put it here:

markedspare-jpg.504532

Good idea or bad?

Thanks.

Good practice but I don’t know if there’s enough structure behind the rear tire for that wheel on the floor to do anything. Once you jack the car high enough it should fit under the car between the front & rear wheels though which is where I’ve always put the wheel.

Personally I hate scissor jacks, an actual floor jack (for use at home) is a better option. But on the road you use what you’ve got.

Is the attached tire off the ground yet? Are you just playing with your new spare or what’s up? Have roadside assistance do this if they’re not going to take 3hrs to get to you that is...

I think it's just barely off the ground in that photo.

Yes, playing with the spare, or as wife asked as she walked through the garage, "Playing with your new toys?"

I wanted to make sure it works (it does) and I have all I need to put it on in an emergency (I do).

Reactions: Matsayz