Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a little 3rd party wrap and touches of bondo (e.g. on the peak angularities), I'd bet this device can satisfy a lot of functions and aesthetics. Any reason people wouldn't customize it like all the other vehicles on the road? Watch it morph all kinds of ways by the time they are delivering.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing 146K orders. And didn't the Model 3 get more than that in the first day alone?

Based on your OP, you probably wouldn't even believe 1,046 orders.

Cybertruck is going to be for a MUCH SMALLER market segment than the Model 3.

Also, people were thinking they could get a Model 3 for under $30,000 with the 7500 tax credit. As low as $25,000 in some states.

With no illusions for any federal tax credit, 146,000 going in is pretty nuts (and awesome).

I thought it was ugly at first glance... but just ordered one. I like it more and more over time. I mean, is the F-150 nice looking? Seems very boring and ugly to me. The cybertruck will be awesome for contractors - more fun to drive, Autopilot for long trips, tons of storage, built in power and air compressor, etc. But it does not need to be appealing to everyone! Tesla can't possibly make a million of these a year. So if you don't like it, go ahead and stick with your F-150. There will be a huge market for this thing, some truck lovers, but also many new buyers like me who would never have considered a truck in the past.

Agreed....

I disagree. That's a bit like saying if people wanted electric cars the big automakers would have already made them. We know that's not true. Someone has to stick their neck out for (design) progress to be made. Having said that, I wish they would have gone a little more mainstream with the design, just because I also want this company to be a smashing success. But maybe Cybertruck will get them there in ways only Elon can see.

Reactions: SSonnentag
It’s so strange. I guess I am not the only one. It looked so ugly and pretty sure it was a joke when I first saw it. But more I look at the photos and videos, I am in love with this truck. I mean.. other regular trucks now look so ugly and boring. (except H1).

If you don’t like it than Please don’t buy it. I don’t want to see too many on the road, like M3s. M3s are everywhere now. I want my truck to be unique and stand out.

I know there's a lot of "disagreement" on the styling, but it reminds me of a vehicle I owned in 1973. It even had flat panel styling and a "charge port" high up on the body near a wheel well, just like the Cybertruck.

00w0w_8IuuncfFdil_600x450.jpg

VW called it the THING - seemed appropriate at the time. In case you think I'm being overly negative, I placed a deposit for the Thing's offspring on the Tesla website. Somehow THING 2 seems like an appropriate name instead of CYBRTRK

I disagree. That's a bit like saying if people wanted electric cars the big automakers would have already made them.
We know that's not true. Someone has to stick their neck out for (design) progress to be made.
Having said that, I wish they would have gone a little more mainstream with the design,
just because I also want this company to be a smashing success.
But maybe Cybertruck will get them there in ways only Elon can see.
I try to imagine how was the reaction of the crowd in 1955 at the Paris Autoshow
with the announcement of the Citroen DS to replace the Citroen Traction Avant (meaning Front Wheel Drive).

1954 CITROEN TRACTION AVANT BN11

image-thumb

1955 Citroën DS 19 - Paris Motor Show

2012-343958-citroen-ds-at-1955-paris-motor-show1.jpg

5159090.jpg

6034008.jpg

1955 Paris Motor Show
The DS made its first, stunning public appearance at a crowded Paris Motor Show in 1955.
Thousands of people squeezed on to Citroen’s stand, eager to catch a glimpse of the futuristic new car.
What they saw when the covers were removed was a model that instantly made all others look prehistoric.

Paris, 1 October 1955 – At the Grand Palais exhibition centre in Paris, a new car explodes
onto the automotive scene and is hailed as a sensation by the contemporary press.
The DS has arrived. The DS made its world debut at the Paris Motor Show on 6 October 1955.
Within 45 minutes, 749 orders had been taken, and by the end of the day, 12,000.

Visitors and journalists from around the world look on in total amazement.
A worthy successor to the Traction, the DS was revolutionary both by its aerodynamic styling and its range of new technologies.
It almost made all the other cars on show look outdated.
The unveiling of the DS was an event that made an impression on all those who were present.
Fifty years on, people are still talking about it.

The DS was far more than just a stylistic choice.
Its lines were dictated by the technical solutions adopted, while its design reflected a close fit between utility and harmony,
functional convenience and visual appeal. Comfort and safety were already key values for Citroën and remain so today.

At the heart of the DS’s many innovations was the high-pressure system made necessary by the hydropneumatic suspension.
This system drove the power steering and disc brakes – also used by Jaguar at the time for the Le Mans 24 hour event – as well
as the transmission with its automatic clutch, which prefigured the automated gearboxes of today.
The DS also used avant-garde materials in its construction, including aluminium for the bonnet and plastic for the roof.

Citroën officially took part in its first international motor sports events with the DS, and quickly built up an impressive track record.
Its favourite disciplines were rallies and long-distance raids

This marvel of automotive design was created by two men and their staff teams.
Both were originally recruited by André Citroën and designed the Traction in 1934.
André Lefèvre was an engineer, while Flaminio Bertoni was a draftsman and sculptor.
To create and sculpt the sensual lines of the DS, Flaminio Bertoni worked in close cooperation with engineer André Lefèvre,
whose main concern was the aerodynamics.

The DS is unique not only for its exterior styling but also for its distinctive interior.
The dashboard is a sculpted work of art. Drivers can access the perfectly integrated controls without taking their hands off the wheel.

The naturally sloping shape lets the light in and accentuates the impression of space.
The whole cabin reflects stylists’ efforts to make the car exceptionally ergonomic.
The interior door handle, for example, was of totally new design.
No need to fumble around to unlock and open the door, the two actions are performed in one smooth movement.

The DS was produced for nearly 20 years and 1,456,115 units were made, with the last unit rolling off the production line in 24 April 1975.
A car of revolutionary design, the DS drove the whole automotive industry forward.
By making avant-garde technology widely available, it set the tone for a generation of modern vehicles.
The DS opened the way to progress and, for this reason alone, it gained universal recognition.
Half a century after its birth, the DS stands as a monument of global design.

I live in Northern Arizona - BIG truck country. None of the truck owners I know would ever be caught dead in that thing. A Tesla could have the raw speed and power to compensate for the lack of deafening engine roar that these people seem to love so much.

Bit of a myopic view no? 7.1M people in Arizona and 40M CA, the state that sells more trucks than any other, with Texas in second. So Big Truck Country? Maybe. But with 330M people in the US let alone the world, this post may not matter too much.

Some rules to live by:

1. Don't write down predictions. They often are wrong and come back to haunt you. See iPhone and Model 3 pontificators.

2. Disruption doesn't happen through copying what's already out there. You can design for what people already accept or you can design something for what you think people will desire.

3. Try to see the forest for the trees. Tesla just announced they can build and sell a 500 mile range vehicle for less than $70k. That tells us what their battery prices look like in two years.

None of these are predictions, just a point that you shouldn't do #1.