Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will be an unpopular view but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been in the EV industry more than 15 years.

Nice! Do you have some good products available now for purchase? What have you been up to? Do you compete with Tesla? Is there any jealousy there about what Tesla has accomplished in only the last 10 years?

I can tell you that those ratings were based on early adopters, EV fans and others. In addition it does not include more mainstream buyers and the reflection of more recent Tesla issues. This rating is as valid as the CR rating to not recommend the car anymore. Tesla will not have this rating in the future it they keep on the same track as they have recently.

I predict Tesla will keep a much higher consumer satisfaction rating than the industry average due to the advanced nature and continued desirability of their products. I will add, they are engineered and built to a very high standard. No doubt as Tesla ramped production of the Model 3 some growing pains were clearly evident. This is to be expected with companies that grow production/customer base, service network at the astounding rate that Tesla did last year. It makes me wonder if you even understand what Tesla just accomplished and how difficult that is?

Most astounding, the most serious problems with the Model 3 is not a melt-down of the battery packs, failure of the high power transistors that modulate all that HP, a disintegration of the motors that turn at 18,000 RPM's, or the software that makes it all work, it's minor misalignment or gap variation of a few body panels, or maybe some scratches or dust specks in the paint.

I love watching people who are not known as famous entrepreneurs, innovators, industrialists and visionary leaders, criticize the running of a business by those who are famous for exactly that, particularly when that business is growing by leaps and bounds, and in such a difficult field to break into (auto manufacturing). This is exactly the kind of person the world needs more of if we are to improve the day to day lives of the common person and yet the peanut gallery loves to be critical of his companies every move (as if they themselves could do better). I would like to see Tesla's critics out there making the decisions at Tesla, the decisions that brought us the first mass-market EV, the Tesla Model 3. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L
Nice! Do you have some good products available now for purchase? What have you been up to? Do you compete with Tesla? Is there any jealousy there about what Tesla has accomplished in only the last 10 years?

I predict Tesla will keep a much higher consumer satisfaction rating than the industry average due to the advanced nature and continued desirability of their products. I will add, they are engineered and built to a very high standard. No doubt as Tesla ramped production of the Model 3 some growing pains were clearly evident. This is to be expected with companies that grow production/customer base, service network at the astounding rate that Tesla did last year. It makes me wonder if you even understand what Tesla just accomplished and how difficult that is?

Most astounding, the most serious problems with the Model 3 is not a melt-down of the battery packs, failure of the high power transistors that modulate all that HP, a disintegration of the motors that turn at 18,000 RPM's, or the software that makes it all work, it's minor misalignment or gap variation of a few body panels, or maybe some scratches or dust specks in the paint.

I love watching people who are not known as famous entrepreneurs, innovators, industrialists and visionary leaders, criticize the running of a business by those who are famous for exactly that, particularly when that business is growing by leaps and bounds, and in such a difficult field to break into (auto manufacturing). This is exactly the kind of person the world needs more of if we are to improve the day to day lives of the common person and yet the peanut gallery loves to be critical of his companies every move (as if they themselves could do better). I would like to see Tesla's critics out there making the decisions at Tesla, the decisions that brought us the first mass-market EV, the Tesla Model 3. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

One of my businesses has done technical consulting work for them on hardware and the other serves tens of thousands of EV drivers. I do not have jealousy for Tesla as I stated long ago I am a significant share holder and have other relationships with them that are non- competitive and symbiotic. I have owned multiple Tesla vehicles, rode in test cars and have friends that have developed major Tesla systems and have worked on the FSD systems. I only want Tesla do do the right thing and stop acting like a used car dealer with many of its customers. Tesla was not this overt previously and they need to refrain because these foolish low-cost mistakes will reap long term substantial damage if not resolved. It is beyond frustrating to see a great company make ignorant and avoidable mistakes. Perhaps you have some insight beyond Elon's tweets or shareholder notes.

Representing pure financial interests I would say everyone should buy the $2000 upgrade and every option available. I prefer Tesla be more transparent and take measures to sustain a good image while balancing their corporate goals. The Tesla customers are key to their early success and they are not valuing that basic business principal as they should. I hope and expect this to change.

The Tesla customers are key to their early success and they are not valuing that basic business principal as they should. I hope and expect this to change.

It's good to see that you expect the problems you noted to only be a short-term issue. I guess that wasn't the impression I received from your original comment that "Tesla will not have this rating in the future it they keep on the same track as they have recently."

I think it's pretty apparent this is the direct result of overwhelming growth, cash constraints and pressures from financial analysts and shareholders to stop spending other peoples money and start making a profit. No doubt it's a difficult time for Tesla on multiple fronts. I guess that's why I'm always so surprised to see so much criticism by people who think they could have done it better themselves.

Last edited:
It's good to see that you expect the problems you noted to only be a short-term issue. I guess that wasn't the impression I received from your original comment that "Tesla will not have this rating in the future it they keep on the same track as they have recently."

I think it's pretty apparent this is the direct result of overwhelming growth, cash constraints and pressures from financial analysts and shareholders to stop spending other peoples money and start making a profit. No doubt it's a difficult time for Tesla on multiple fronts. I guess that's why I'm always so surprised to see so much criticism by people who think they could have done it better.

Tesla's learning curve is reactive and slow, they have poor long term planing. I expect changes after more damage and pain. Much of Tesla's customer issues are self-inflicted not just growing pains. They need to stop doing dart board management, that's what got them into this hole. My guess is it gets worse before better and the MY pep rally will be a tool that they will use to temper things but it would have had more impact if it was preceded with so much FUD and self-inflicted negativity. Hopefully Elon uses this as an opportunity to put some new optics in his delivery.

I think people should stop demanding things that we didn’t pay for.

For those of you not paying attention, Tesla isn’t exactly the most healthy of companies. It’s in an extremely risky phase of growth where they are trying to balance rampup, decreasing demand, and margins.

I’ve struggled to think of another customer base that feels entitled to more capability than they purchased. Smart phones are the closest.

Yet, we still expect them to meet all the traditional expectations of legacy car manufacturers. I say that this is an impossible equation for them to solve. Something will need to give.

There have been many innovative car companies go out of business in the last 100 years...I really hope Tesla isn’t the next.

I would offer we have an important role in that. Something to think about the next time you think Tesla owes you something.

• Love
Reactions: Brando

I think it's pretty apparent this is the direct result of overwhelming growth, cash constraints and pressures from financial analysts and shareholders to stop spending other peoples money and start making a profit. No doubt it's a difficult time for Tesla on multiple fronts. I guess that's why I'm always so surprised to see so much criticism by people who think they could have done it better themselves.

I love the car, love the company, and would gladly pay for any improvements that become available. Software enhancements and upgrades should be a profit center for them.

Reactions: StealthP3D
As the master of unpopular opinions around here, I can say that although I understand the reason for Tesla to be constantly upselling us, I do not like it. Case in point - the pearl white paint that my 3 LR RWD was made with cost me $1000 last May, and now it is $2000. What changed in the paint, or did Tesla just realize they could grab more money from people who did not want an ugly black car?
Look at the bright side, for some, not you...now pearl white is included. And I think I have an idea why...

Yes, I agree with some partners that Tesla is similar to technology products. Although I am just a newcomer, I have seen a lot of things I would like to see in this forum, not as bad arguments as other media sites.

I am very lucky that after I bought my P3D- that they offered the $5k refund in exchange for no more lifetime super charging. I took that and invested it along with a bit more in TSLA. It was $240/share then...

I'm still a little annoyed that the car dropped in price about 10-15k in less than 2 years, as it really negatively impacts resale value, but I also don't plan to resell for quite a while anyway. I think that trend will continue for quite some time as the battery production costs fall.

I am very lucky that after I bought my P3D- that they offered the $5k refund in exchange for no more lifetime super charging. I took that and invested it along with a bit more in TSLA. It was $240/share then...

I'm still a little annoyed that the car dropped in price about 10-15k in less than 2 years, as it really negatively impacts resale value, but I also don't plan to resell for quite a while anyway. I think that trend will continue for quite some time as the battery production costs fall.
you are correct
buying a car as an investment has always been high risk

Cars always go down in value since time began, nothing changes there. However the price of the cars may be on sale for a while but FSD keeps on going up. So the gap of having a fully autonomous car will be only for the wealthy it seems so far. Which is a strange kind of vision when making the roads safer is priority... Forgive me for my warped vision but maybe in the future when its copied to hell or you buy a comma.ai autonomy will be standard for all one day like it should be. You see if it arrives by the end of 2020 like 2019 or it arrives by 2025. This is a profit making endeavour not necessarily for the benefit for mankind / environment in a lot of ways unless the plan is to release the source. I am on board and I want to see cheaper Tesla's so more people uptake EV's, the company does well but its a shame as FSD prices rise more and more people will be driving around with wasted features that could save life's.