Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This will be an unpopular view but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am more upset that we did not know they were changing the pricing structure on the Auto Pilot features. I know I messed up when I did not buy it for 5k with the car new, but was saving the 7k to buy it. Now i need 11k to buy it, i would have moved money around to make it happen. I wish there had been some pre-knowing about that price change, now auto-pilot is out of my price range.

The self driving features will get cut up in a number of ways in the future. My guess is that you'll have other opportunities to buy parts of it for less money, and for the reasons given being too much. So don't give up just yet.

I bought the car for FSD, and that was before we knew we were getting the new AI computer. For me, it was a way to keep my car relevant as technology advanced - stays new, huge value proposition here. Tesla respects it's early investors for the most part but is in growth hell right now so I can understand the changes. (The store closings, then change in direction is an indication that this is a very dynamic environment).

If you like what they offer and wondering if you should buy it someday, that day may never come again.

I think people should stop demanding things that we didn’t pay for.

For those of you not paying attention, Tesla isn’t exactly the most healthy of companies. It’s in an extremely risky phase of growth where they are trying to balance rampup, decreasing demand, and margins.

I’ve struggled to think of another customer base that feels entitled to more capability than they purchased. Smart phones are the closest.

Yet, we still expect them to meet all the traditional expectations of legacy car manufacturers. I say that this is an impossible equation for them to solve. Something will need to give.

There have been many innovative car companies go out of business in the last 100 years...I really hope Tesla isn’t the next.

I would offer we have an important role in that. Something to think about the next time you think Tesla owes you something.
For me personally I don't see it as demanding something I never paid for. I have never complained about the price I paid for my car. What I do complain about is being sold something I didn't receive or lied to by sales people that the car was going to have a feature it actually didn't.

We can all argue the rights and wrongs of price drops. My issue with price drops is their lack of responsibility when they do it. For a company that prides itself on being unlike other car companies they sure do act like a typical car company when it suits them. Most other industries offer price match and buyback guarantees so that customers don't get caught in a bad deal. Tesla doesn't the same way no other car company does either. The difference being that with any other car a good negotiator can talk their way to the best price.

So Tesla wants to be treated like a tech company but they don't treat customers like a tech company does and they don't want to be treated like a car company because they don't want to allow customers to bargain like a car company does. It's a lose lose for the consumer no matter how you cut it.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
they don't want to be treated like a car company because they don't want to allow customers to bargain like a car company does
Having every car sold at a different price, the way the so-called bargaining system works, is a big lose for the consumer. It's the worst thing about purchasing a car. It's not a bargaining system, it's a rip-off system. Almost every other item we buy has a fixed price. If we, as consumers, don't like the price, we don't buy or we purchase elsewhere.

Having every car sold at a different price, the way the so-called bargaining system works, is a big lose for the consumer. It's the worst thing about purchasing a car. It's not a bargaining system, it's a rip-off system. Almost every other item we buy has a fixed price. If we, as consumers, don't like the price, we don't buy or we purchase elsewhere.
I didnt say it was a good system. I'm merely pointing out that without a proper price protection system for fixed prices your going to piss off a lot of people just like Tesla does. When the system is bargaining based the company will always have the "well you should have negotiated a better deal" argument to fend off the angry mob.

Tesla doesn't have either which puts them in a worse position than other car companies. It's their fault, not ours.

• Disagree
I didnt say it was a good system. I'm merely pointing out that without a proper price protection system for fixed prices your going to piss off a lot of people just like Tesla does. When the system is bargaining based the company will always have the "well you should have negotiated a better deal" argument to fend off the angry mob.

Tesla doesn't have either which puts them in a worse position than other car companies. It's their fault, not ours.
Seems to me there is proper price protection. Anyone who thinks the price is too high, doesn't buy or buys something else. The difference is that the price is clear. It might change later, but on the day you purchase you know the price you are going to pay and there are no additional add-ons.

• Love
Seems to me there is proper price protection. Anyone who thinks the price is too high, doesn't buy or buys something else. The difference is that the price is clear. It might change later, but on the day you purchase you know the price you are going to pay and there are no additional add-ons.
Even if that's legally true it doesn't make it right or fair when you're the guy who overpaid 20% by buying the day before a price drop. You're still going to be upset.

I think people should stop demanding things that we didn’t pay for.

For those of you not paying attention, Tesla isn’t exactly the most healthy of companies. It’s in an extremely risky phase of growth where they are trying to balance rampup, decreasing demand, and margins.

I’ve struggled to think of another customer base that feels entitled to more capability than they purchased. Smart phones are the closest.

Yet, we still expect them to meet all the traditional expectations of legacy car manufacturers. I say that this is an impossible equation for them to solve. Something will need to give.

There have been many innovative car companies go out of business in the last 100 years...I really hope Tesla isn’t the next.

I would offer we have an important role in that. Something to think about the next time you think Tesla owes you something.

Well, companies that are trying to grow and attract new customers should focus on customer service and meeting customer expectations. After all, aren't they trying to lure customers away from those legacy car manufacturers? You can't do it by constantly disappointing your customers and prospective customers.

Well, companies that are trying to grow and attract new customers should focus on customer service and meeting customer expectations. After all, aren't they trying to lure customers away from those legacy car manufacturers? You can't do it by constantly disappointing your customers and prospective customers.

With Tesla having the enviable position of the highest customer satisfaction in the auto business, I don't think Tesla is "Constantly dissappointing" their customers. On the contrary, they are delighting their customers, at least relative to the competition.

And the release of the Model 3 saw Tesla's customer satisfaction numbers go up, not down. You don'y get the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry by not meeting your customers expectations (relative to the competition).

Of course these ratings do not measure the satisfaction/dissappointment levels of prospective customers, only those who have been using the products. So I'll give you that.

With Tesla having the enviable position of the highest customer satisfaction in the auto business, I don't think Tesla is "Constantly dissappointing" their customers. On the contrary, they are delighting their customers, at least relative to the competition.

And the release of the Model 3 saw Tesla's customer satisfaction numbers go up, not down. You don'y get the highest customer satisfaction ratings in the industry by not meeting your customers expectations (relative to the competition).

Of course these ratings do not measure the satisfaction/dissappointment levels of prospective customers, only those who have been using the products. So I'll give you that.

The ratings are also heavily skewed in Tesla's favor since most owners are fan boys and EV enthusiasts. You should expect their ratings to steadily drop as they enter the mainstream market.

The ratings are also heavily skewed in Tesla's favor since most owners are fan boys and EV enthusiasts. You should expect their ratings to steadily drop as they enter the mainstream market.

What is a Tesla "fan boy"?

Someone who is delighted with their products. I rest my case. All car manufacturers wish they could have more "fan boys".

This is a good thing and yet you try to paint it as a negative.

Reactions: Runt8 and EinSV

You do realize that these surveys were conducted before the pricing fiasco, right? I know not everyone understands this logic, but the true impact will not be measured until a survey is completed after the current pricing debacle. We shall see!

Reactions: caskater47
What is a Tesla "fan boy"?

Someone who is delighted with their products. I rest my case. All car manufacturers wish they could have more "fan boys".

This is a good thing and yet you try to paint it as a negative.
Fan boys are people whom love products to such an unusually high level the they are irrational decision makers. Typically willing to overlook issues that most people wouldn't put up with. That can include bad customer service, poor build quality, price fluctuations and so on.

Fan boys are a good thing for any brand but you must be careful not to assume all your customers will be equally irrational. As a company grows in popularity they will have to work harder to attract new customers, they will have to have a stronger sales pitch, better customer service. This is just how business works.

Reactions: SunCharged
You do realize that these surveys were conducted before the pricing fiasco, right? I know not everyone understands this logic, but the true impact will not be measured until a survey is completed after the current pricing debacle. We shall see!

Now I've heard everything! Do you really think Tesla has never dropped the price of their cars before?

I love the way Tesla detractors squirm and twist logic to try to explain the highest consumer satisfaction ratings in the entire auto industry!:p

Yeah, they may have had the highest consumer satisfaction ratings last month but that was before they lowered their prices, LOL! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
With Tesla having the enviable position of the highest customer satisfaction in the auto business, I don't think Tesla is "Constantly dissappointing" their customers. On the contrary, they are delighting their customers, at least relative to the competition..

FWIW they have delighted me with their product

And constantly disappointed me with their utter incompetence at actually running the company or providing customer service

They're not mutually exclusive things, and some companies are actually good at both.

Ex

And constantly disappointed me with their utter incompetence at actually running the company or providing customer service

They're not mutually exclusive things, and some companies are actually good at both.
Exactly. Surveys may not also take into account these two realities. A survey that focuses only on satisfaction of the product itself will skew unusually higher than a survey which balances both of these factors. The reality with statistics is its easy to skew in your favor based on the testing method you choose. As a smart consumer you have to look deeper if you want to understand the accuracy of such claims.

Reactions: SunCharged

Yeah, like Volkswagen. Not only do you get "farfegnugen" but you get great warranty service and customer support, LOL!

I hear Audi and BMW are really good too. That explains why Tesla has higher consumer satisfaction ratings (by a huge margin).

Ford is really good too. Which is why the cab of our 9 year old F-150 has leaked water from day 1. And Ford claims they can't "replicate" it. All we have to do is park it on the street in the rain and the water drips in. We can't even tell where the point of entry is and Ford doesn't care enough to do anything about it.

You don't get the highest consumer satisfaction rating in the industry by sucking at what you do. I can't speak to their service, neither of our two Tesla's have needed anything. We just drive them.

When the customer service people were fired 12 months ago, then hired, again, then fired 3 months, ago, then hired again - can you really expect much?

Reactions: caskater47
I agree with that...but I would also argue that they can’t bend to a vocal minority with an amazing sense of entitlement.

When the customer service people were fired 12 months ago, then hired, again, then fired 3 months, ago, then hired again - can you really expect much?

That's a good question. The data shows that over that same time period, Tesla's customer satisfaction rating improved.

The only way one might be able to explain this is if new customer service reps provide a better experience than ones that have been stuck in the same job for years.