Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those who switched from a muscle, sports, or performance car to a Tesla...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model S 85D just nine days ago and my only regret is not getting one sooner.

For the last 14 years I drove a BMW 330 ci convertible that was the best car I could imagine. Every time I test drove new cars over the years -- BMW, Audi, Lexus -- I always turned back to the one I already had. It was the best driving car (except in the snow!).

That said, my Model S is just amazing and blows every other car away. I think it's the best car for sale today. I thought I'd miss my manual transmission, but I really don't at all.

My husband has an E63 AMG Mercedes which he got around the same time I got my first MS. After driving a P85+ loaner car for the first time (right before his car came in), he wished he had gotten a Tesla instead but it was too late. He wouldn't even race me off the line when I had my 40/60 since he knew I would win..lol.

Came from a 335d, which has tons of torque (425lb-ft vs my P85's 443), and quite a bit of top end power as well and my P85 is just BETTER. The Model S is just ridiculous from an acceleration perspective. Have friends who own real performance cars (MB C63, Pontiac G8 GXP, BMW M5, Challenger Scat Pack) who have all exclaimed that my car is ranging from "this makes me sick" to "WOW". The ONLY complaint anyone has had is around the sound... I love the "spaceship" sound, but others find it hard to deal with the acceleration without any real noise.

I came from a 2014 BMW M3 that I chipped and modified to about 450hp. That car was totaled by an ignorant driver and in turn I bought an Aston Martin V8 Vantage roadster. THAT car was a blast, but was also quite expensive to maintain. The clutch was nearing the end of its life and would've been about $6-8k to replace/improve. I loved that car, but the Tesla is nearly as fast. I do sometimes miss the roar of that engine.

We also have an 04 911C4S cabriolet that I can hop into if I want the full go kart experience. That car's a blast and I don't see us getting rid of that anytime soon. I'm looking forward to getting a 3 in a couple years, fully loaded, and save on the car payment that I'm used to with the S.

I have a Roadster and it is blazing fast. I had the fun of going to the local drag strip share I watched 3 different Corvettes, a Shelby Cobra and Sport BMW fade in the rear view mirror. It is fun to silently launch into the lead as they never hear it coming.

My husband has an E63 AMG Mercedes which he got around the same time I got my first MS. After driving a P85+ loaner car for the first time (right before his car came in), he wished he had gotten a Tesla instead but it was too late. He wouldn't even race me off the line when I had my 40/60 since he knew I would win..lol.

If you had a 40/60/ or even a 85 and he had a 2011-2013 E63 Bi turbo..... sorry he would have crushed you in a race of at least 1/8 or 1/4 mile. It would be close in a P85+ as the AMG cars are very quick.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. You might also briefly miss rowing your own gears, if you like that sort of thing. Technically, they could make a multi-speed gearbox for an EV, but probably won't see that anytime soon.

High five to mrjedistud! I had a 2011 Mustang GT (manual transmission) and now have a CPO 2014 Model S P85. If I try to put my bias for Tesla aside and just think car vs car, they are both charming beasts, but I still favor the S.

My last few ICE were: Porsche 911 c2 and c4; Maserati (one Coupe and two Convertibles), Ferrari 360, Morgan +8, BMW M5 and M3 convertible and a bunch if others.

I now have 21,000 miles on my P85D. I never expect to have another ICE car. I drove BMW i3 and i8 and found them not competitive. Nothing has been as much fun as my S. All the technology and updates help a lot, as does the spectacular responsiveness. The near-perfect balance makes the others all seem crude by comparison, not to mention all the odd vibrations and quirks caused by all those explosions. I thought I'd miss the Iralian sounds. I now find them irritatingly old fashioned. I really like not being around all those gasoline smells.

BTW, it seems to me the people who talk about gasoline price as being a major influencer probably are missing the point fir almost all Tesla buyers. All those great features are the deal makers almost all the time IMHO. I know not one S driver who wants to go back to ICE. A year from now we can find out what X drivers think, many of whom seem to have some pretty hot machinery in their garages too.

I went from a BMW X6M (550 hp, 505 ft pounds of torque)... best car I ever owned until...

Mine is a CPO 2013 P85 and the only thing I miss is AWD. The main annoyance is range and subsequent range anxiety.

No looking back as I absolutely love this vehicle. The CPO program is the way to go!

Yep....
Not much to add to the above.
Still like driving 3K lbs / 600 hp a few times a week but otherwise have not looked back.
I would say I enjoy my PD more than the P+ which makes me an AWD fan (as opposed to the TWD advice above). Different strokes I guess.

I would never choose the p85d over Mclaren or Lambo however for a DD it's the best thing going.

I just got a ms p90dLudi 5 weeks ago. I have no interest in driving my mclaren 12C around. Maybe the next track day, but around town the Tesla is faster and nicer to drive. I feel weird saying that, as I have had an exotic sports car for sometime now. 997GT2, R8V10 manual, Ferrari Scuderia, and now 12C. Have had many sporty luxury family cars also and the Tesla is just better in just about every way. That is my experience.

Anyone want to buy my 12C for what I owe on it:rolleyes:o_O

My 2009 Corvette feels like an old, slow and noisy dog. Those who miss the exhaust racket are kidding themselves.

In the not too distant future it will become undesirable for most if not all. It was one thing if you are loud and fast. It is quite another to be loud and slow (or slower). The noise will become superfluous. Besides, who would want to bring attention to themselves for driving old and slow technology? Exhaust noise is going out-of-favor.

Many years ago, one would feel proud or be envious of cities with the most belching smokestacks. It was a sign of progress, wealth and jobs. Now of course, smoking chimneys are undesirable as will be the inherent racket generated by ICE propelled automobiles.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
First forum post and new Model S owner. Picked up a spectacular MS Signature Performance with every option available. Transitioned from an Aston Martin DB9 to the MS. The Aston has the cool British lineage and a throaty V12, but the MS blows the DB9 away from an acceleration, reliability and overall performance standpoint. The best part of the switch, no astronomical maintenance costs. Seriously... $480 for an oil change and another $400 for the annual brake flush. If you hit a bump ( or fart for that matter), off to the dealer you go and you better bring your checkbook.

The one piece I miss is the Aston body lines. Truly a beautiful car.