Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with EnhancedAP to receive 3k discount on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter

A little hope for those who had issues/didn't purchase FSD when it was on a fire sale at 2k.

Hmmm. I'd consider it again at $3k.

And I just got through writing a post saying to wait until FSD got cheaper...

Obviously this makes a lot more sense than $6k or whatever. Tempting, I guess. But I'm holding out for $1500 or $2k. It'll get there eventually. FSD is going down in price, no matter what Elon says. As a level 2 system (which it obviously is going to be) it's not going to be worth that much!

At least wait for a slow quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex2
I still think it's bull turd that someone can get my exact car for less than I paid AND get dual motors AND autopilot upgrades for free.

So my enthusiasm for Tesla and FSD is...low.
You're telling me. I'm also upset that my 4K television cost me thousands of dollars when I bought it but now anyone can buy one for a few hundred dollars brand new. I may or may not be upset at LG for this.

/s

Elon Musk on Twitter

A little hope for those who had issues/didn't purchase FSD when it was on a fire sale at 2k.

Looks like they are really going to try to boost profits as much as possible this quarter, assuming this change rolls out soon. Combined with the “super cheap” P3D, they really want to improve their margin mix. Just need to wait for the opportune time, for the really big price drop.

$3k upgrade price is worth it if he puts his money where his mouth is and contractually guarantees that prices will continue to increase and early adopters will benefit. He'd have my money today if he did that. Otherwise, history tells us otherwise and all we can do is make the best decision we can based on the information currently available. Statements from Tesla about future prices have proved to be meaningless, so given that upgrading from EAP to FSD today does not give me any additional features and the only reason to do so is a statement about the future price that Tesla is not bound to and that is inconsistent with their prior pricing strategies...no thanks.

Interesting. That would mean that EAP is considered a $3k credit toward FSD...which begs the question, how about a $1,500 AP upgrade for non AP-equipped cars with the option to upgrade to FSD for another $4,500 down the road (or whatever the new, high price is less $1500). Didn't bite at the $2k cost during the "sale" - but $1,500 somehow feels right for basic AP - especially if it serves as a downpayment of sorts on FSD.

Interesting. That would mean that EAP is considered a $3k credit toward FSD...which begs the question, how about a $1,500 AP upgrade for non AP-equipped cars with the option to upgrade to FSD for another $4,500 down the road (or whatever the new, high price is less $1500). Didn't bite at the $2k cost during the "sale" - but $1,500 somehow feels right for basic AP - especially if it serves as a downpayment of sorts on FSD.

I guess the question is: how much is too much to pay for just software? Here are all the combinations I can think of so far:

fsd_choices.png

Looks like the minimum someone could have purchased FSD for in total was $5,000 during the March fire sale, tied only with those who bought only EAP during the fire sale and can pick up FSD for $3k sometime soon (was that even possible?).

At most, someone could have paid $11,000 for both if they bought full priced EAP and full priced FSD.

Looks like they are really going to try to boost profits as much as possible this quarter, assuming this change rolls out soon. Combined with the “super cheap” P3D, they really want to improve their margin mix. Just need to wait for the opportune time, for the really big price drop.

From an accounting standpoint, selling FSD does not do much to 'boost profits'. Since FSD doesn't exist yet and requires a computer upgrade, most of the cash gained from selling FSD now (or end of quarter) goes onto the Balance Sheet as a liability. While it will boost cash on hand, it won't help profits.

At most, someone could have paid $11,000 for both if they bought full priced EAP and full priced FSD.
Post-delivery EAP was supposed to be $7k (but can't verify that, but that was what it said when I bought mine), so if that's the case, the most might be $13k. Someone who quickly had buyer's remorse and added on EAP after taking delivery but before FSD was announced as an option ($7k), and then bought the upgrade from EAP to FSD for $6k.

So, $3000 just for auto city driving, because it can recognize lights and stop signs?
And, hopefully, pedestrians. They've never been clear on the car's current ability to recognize and react to pedestrians, but for obvious reasons, I always operate on the assumption that it can't.

And if their new traffic light "warning" system is any indication of the technology they're currently developing for stopping at traffic lights, they still have a long, long way to go. I use autopilot in city driving quite frequently (because I'm a rebel like that), and I think I saw the traffic light warning once, and I was far enough back at the time that my car stopped anyway for it because another car in front of it did. Just yesterday I tested it on a pretty simple intersection that had a red light that I was approaching, and nope, no warning at all (at least not by the time one would have to react to be able to stop in a reasonable manner).

Just yesterday I tested it on a pretty simple intersection that had a red light that I was approaching, and nope, no warning at all (at least not by the time one would have to react to be able to stop in a reasonable manner).
I'm pretty sure the warning is currently set to go off at a distance for either stopping in an unreasonable manner, or at least reacting in a way to reduce damage done because you won't fully stop in time. It is a last-ditch backstop, not something to rely on. As such it is hard to judge where they are at with it.

Someone with a hacked S did look at it a couple months back and Elon's "80% of the time it works every time" assessment seemed about right. I haven't followed that, though, so don't know if there's been any progress and ultimately there is very likely to be marked difference between in capability between hardware old enough to be hackable and the version 3.0 hardware coming up.