Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with EnhancedAP to receive 3k discount on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is awesome; we now only have to pay $8k for FSD rather than the $6k everyone else gets to pay! What a deal. :rolleyes:

Except for us folks who bought in the 2019 Q1 rush. $9,000 for us at the moment, going to $10,000 in August.

At least this $3k discount makes a lot of sense for EAP owners. No immediate new features, but given how specialized the HW3 computer is I'd say it's worth at least $1k on its own. And then $2k for whatever future features come out this year.

I'm flip flopping on buying this in the next few weeks. I doubt I will personally use the FSD features as my car only gets used for commuting and I actually like to drive when not commuting. That said, there's two potential uses I'm thinking about that would save and/or make me money...

1. I pay $250/month to park in a parking garage in NJ as part of my commute. If I could avoid doing that and have the car go park itself in a nearby big box store parking lot or return home, the FSD would pay for itself in a year.
2. I would consider including my car in the rideshare network on weekends or during work. I'd have to accept the car would incur increased wear with all the people in the car as it "makes money" (e.g. $100/month income).

In conjunction wtih #1 above, the return on investment for me over 3 years is ~294% (($9,400 income + parking savings - FSD cost w/tax) / $3200 FSD cost w/tax). If we had better transparency on timing of unassisted FSD, it would make the decision easier...

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Also showing $3000 for me as well. How likely am I to use FSD or include in the ride share network? Probably not likely BUT I do like the fact of having the new computer for resale value down the road. I also don't want to get in a situation where any new enhancements to my car will not be added due to having an older computer and not the latest. I almost pulled the trigger at 2k, when I saw it went up to 6k I'm like oh well so much for that. But at 3k knowing it will go up in a few weeks I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.

I pay $250/month to park in a parking garage in NJ as part of my commute. If I could avoid doing that and have the car go park itself in a nearby big box store parking lot or return home, the FSD would pay for itself in a year.

That's my main desire for FSD as well. Paying almost $3,000 a year for my commute at the moment... By my main worry is that even if the car could go park itself, city regulations might not catch up with the technology for the life of the car.

Reactions: outdoors
And, hopefully, pedestrians. They've never been clear on the car's current ability to recognize and react to pedestrians, but for obvious reasons, I always operate on the assumption that it can't.

And if their new traffic light "warning" system is any indication of the technology they're currently developing for stopping at traffic lights, they still have a long, long way to go. I use autopilot in city driving quite frequently (because I'm a rebel like that), and I think I saw the traffic light warning once, and I was far enough back at the time that my car stopped anyway for it because another car in front of it did. Just yesterday I tested it on a pretty simple intersection that had a red light that I was approaching, and nope, no warning at all (at least not by the time one would have to react to be able to stop in a reasonable manner).

Agreed. Not that I try to run red lights, but on close calls I've never gotten a warning. Being in California, having some type of pedestrian warning would be amazing because people here seem to think they are invincible because they have the right of way, even though a drive may not see them.

New discounted FSD at $3000 is also showing up on my account (EAP purchased)

I'm tempted to pull the trigger as well since I regret not purchasing when it was listed at $2000. My only concern is that EAP/FSD are not tied to an account but rather your vehicle/VIN.

If you total your car and insurance is not willing to pay for those upgrades that a instant loss of money. I know people requested to receive a receipt of purchase from Tesla for FSD but is that sufficient to ensure insurance will cover the software upgrade?

Reactions: skygraff
While some of the incremental FSD features likely to be offered over my EAP may be useful, I'm not sure that I'll still have the car in 2022 when FSD is likely to be approved or that my car can be retrofitted with HW4 and the new sensors required.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles older FSD cars that are not practical to retrofit.

you guys suck. (Thanks for giving the wife a reason to say, 'no'.)

I'm so torn, because knowing Tesla, the price will increase at a moments notice so I want to pull the trigger now before it rises in price.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how this works from an insurance standpoint. If anyone has any insight into how insuring software added to a car post-purchase works, please let us know! Maybe it varies depending on your provider. Again, totally in the dark here.

I'm so torn, because knowing Tesla, the price will increase at a moments notice so I want to pull the trigger now before it rises in price.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how this works from an insurance standpoint. If anyone has any insight into how insuring software added to a car post-purchase works, please let us know! Maybe it varies depending on your provider. Again, totally in the dark here.

We asked USAA. They would not give a straight answer on whether the value of software would be considered in the event of a loss. Best we could do was denote the addition and the value of the software on our car insurance account, and hope we don't total the car anytime soon.

Would have loved the $2k price, and I still grumble a bit
about that "sale", but I want the 3.X Hardware. I get truly
great utility out of everything Tesla's done with this car,
including the automation. Glad to see Musk living up to
the correction he promised on the price for us EAP users.
Brings the entire automation package to an acceptable $8k,
so its a no-brainer at $3k. Just gotta figure out where to pull
the money, I hope this isn't another temporary flash sale.
yup that's the price I paid in 12/2016 for "EAP" at $5k and FSD $3k.

"Back to the future"

I'm flip flopping on buying this in the next few weeks. I doubt I will personally use the FSD features as my car only gets used for commuting and I actually like to drive when not commuting. That said, there's two potential uses I'm thinking about that would save and/or make me money...

1. I pay $250/month to park in a parking garage in NJ as part of my commute. If I could avoid doing that and have the car go park itself in a nearby big box store parking lot or return home, the FSD would pay for itself in a year.
2. I would consider including my car in the rideshare network on weekends or during work. I'd have to accept the car would incur increased wear with all the people in the car as it "makes money" (e.g. $100/month income).

In conjunction wtih #1 above, the return on investment for me over 3 years is ~294% (($9,400 income + parking savings - FSD cost w/tax) / $3200 FSD cost w/tax). If we had better transparency on timing of unassisted FSD, it would make the decision easier...

Wow, the people who have never used the current level of automation have strange ideas. Some rail against it on principle or because they don't have it. But some are taking "FSD" literally because they have no experience with using NOA, or AS with lane changes on boulevards. They don't understand what a difficult road it is to reach full vehicle autonomy in an urban setting. I don't blame Musk for "simplifying the issues", nor for the scheduling over-optimism that's universal for software projects. There's no dishonesty there. Software people truly believe. They wouldn't get up in the morning if they realized that little 2 month task was going to take 10. But after say 12 months, they get there. That's how it's always been.

I wouldn't cancel any parking spaces or count my robotaxi income just yet, it's going to be a while. Get real. And I say that as someone who uses max automation every day, on say 90% of my itineraries. And as one who's a "yes" on paying an additional $3k now while adding no additional capability to my EAP. In other words I look forward to, and expect, gradual progress towards autonomy. But I don't expect to reach the promised land overnight.

Good thing I expect the car to be reliable and beautiful and fun to drive for a while too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Skione65
Would be interesting to play the middle man in this -
Offer to buy folks full FSD when available, in return you collect 2500 dollars.
Sure the price will go up, but depending on the amount of time until FSD, many folks will sell their car, crash their car, etc...

Wow, the people who have never used the current level of automation have strange ideas. Some rail against it on principle or because they don't have it. But some are taking "FSD" literally because they have no experience with using NOA, or AS with lane changes on boulevards. They don't understand what a difficult road it is to reach full vehicle autonomy in an urban setting. I don't blame Musk for "simplifying the issues", nor for the scheduling over-optimism that's universal for software projects. There's no dishonesty there. Software people truly believe. They wouldn't get up in the morning if they realized that little 2 month task was going to take 10. But after say 12 months, they get there. That's how it's always been.

I wouldn't cancel any parking spaces or count my robotaxi income just yet, it's going to be a while. Get real. And I say that as someone who uses max automation every day, on say 90% of my itineraries. And as one who's a "yes" on paying an additional $3k now while adding no additional capability to my EAP. In other words I look forward to, and expect, gradual progress towards autonomy. But I don't expect to reach the promised land overnight.

Good thing I expect the car to be reliable and beautiful and fun to drive for a while too.

I’m not sure why you’re quoting me because I have EAP and certainly use it everyday - if that’s what you’re calling automation. I’m also not thrilled with NoA and all of the phantom braking, so nowhere did I state I expected it tomorrow or next year. That said, I also am cognizant that waiting comes with risk of price increase and I’ll never buy it at $5k or more.

What I provided was purely my thinking from a financial return perspective, in other words - is it worth it to me or would I rather invest $3k in stock or elsewhere. I’m not cancelling my parking space nor making any other decisions based on something that may be 1- to some many years off.