Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thought on FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla went to a model where FSD was included with every vehicle with a $5k price, would that accelerate the advancement of the software?

Just an idea that could possibly increase safety of the feature while lowering the cost of FSD per purchase. I'm still in the camp that feels that FSD is a software license and should follow your account, but this other option would possibly help some. Thoughts?

Autopilot (name) works, and does more than the name suggests (stop and go to be specific). A boat autopilot will not change speed. OK.

Full Self Driving - is not a thing, just an idea. A plan.

If every hotel room charged extra for the Moon Hotel of The Future, would the Moon Hotel happen sooner? No. It would only make the current rooms more costly and fewer sold.

Reactions: momo3605
Autopilot (name) works, and does more than the name suggests (stop and go to be specific). A boat autopilot will not change speed. OK.

Full Self Driving - is not a thing, just an idea. A plan.

If every hotel room charged extra for the Moon Hotel of The Future, would the Moon Hotel happen sooner? No. It would only make the current rooms more costly and fewer sold.
Paying extra for features that are standard happens all the time, it just requires them being standard.

Your moon example is an apples to oranges comparison. The software required for FSD needs a ton of data to become more useable.

Interesting, was not aware of that.
Search this forums for Shadow Mode, that's what they use. It basically compares driver's actions with the car's predictions. Data is beamed up based on "campaigns", meaning today they might ignore the fact that you made a right on red, but tomorrow the same scenario might be relevant to optimize something about the Neural Network. I hope that makes sense!

Which is to say: No, more FSD-enabled cars on the road do not expedite the development of FSD itself. Another proof is Dojo. Dojo being built means that Tesla can't handle all the data they are receiving right now.

Last edited:
Search this forums for Shadow Mode, that's what they use. It basically compares driver's actions with the car's predictions. Data is beamed up based on "campaigns", meaning today they might ignore the fact that you made a right on red, but tomorrow the same scenario might be relevant to optimize something about the Neural Network. I hope that makes sense!

Which is to say: No, more FSD-enabled cars on the road do not expedite the development of FSD itself. Another proof is Dojo. Dojo being build means that Tesla can't handle all the data they are receiving right now.
This is the first I've heard of Dojo, I'll have to look into that as well, thanks!

Reactions: helvio
I think Tesla includes FSD for 3 months as a free trial for all new purchases.

Just about every software vendor out there has or is going to a subscription model to guarantee regular revenue. I think Tesla is going to follow and things will start moving quickly if/when FSD gets deployed.

Example: S/X used to get free supercharging for life. That's long gone and I don't believe it will be available ever again.

If Tesla went to a model where FSD was included with every vehicle with a $5k price, would that accelerate the advancement of the software?

Just an idea that could possibly increase safety of the feature while lowering the cost of FSD per purchase. I'm still in the camp that feels that FSD is a software license and should follow your account, but this other option would possibly help some. Thoughts?

I think Tesla includes FSD for 3 months as a free trial for all new purchases.

Just about every software vendor out there has or is going to a subscription model to guarantee regular revenue. I think Tesla is going to follow and things will start moving quickly if/when FSD gets deployed.

Example: S/X used to get free supercharging for life. That's long gone and I don't believe it will be available ever again.
If it's not too expensive I'd do a subscription to FSD. I don't necessarily believe that it would be cheaper to buy it outright as that would potentially limit a constant revenue stream. But, it's Tesla so who knows.

Reactions: helvio
I would be perfectly happy with Autopilot + lane change.

FSD is a pipe dream.

Auto lane change is not that great anyway. It'll take you out of carpool lanes for no reason and then go back in it later. It gets nervous sometimes and alway change lanes behind a way slower car than going in front of it. It made small improvements since it was introduced, but only useful in no or little traffic.

Auto lane change is not that great anyway. It'll take you out of carpool lanes for no reason and then go back in it later. It gets nervous sometimes and alway change lanes behind a way slower car than going in front of it. It made small improvements since it was introduced, but only useful in no or little traffic.
You know you can turn that off? I usually drive with speed-based lane changes turned off. So it will auto-change to exit or change freeways, but I can decide which lane to "cruise" in with the blinker.

I do agree the HOV lanes are wonky - it will get out, then right back in. Or be in the carpool lane and signal like it wanted to go into a non-existent lane on the left

I’m not looking for auto-lane change. I just want it to change lanes when I engage the turn signal.

I agree the auto-lane change function included with NoA is not worth it.

Not sure if this has been posted. Mercedes is coming out level 3 autopilot.

I am underwhelmed as it’s only on geofenced highway up to 60km/hr with all the expensive equipments.
I think Tesla’s FSD beats this hand dow. What do you all think?

Appears similar to the L3 system Audi claimed they were releasing several years ago (traffic jam pilot) and then never actually released

I am underwhelmed as it’s only on geofenced highway up to 60km/hr with all the expensive equipments.
I think Tesla’s FSD beats this hand dow. What do you all think?
I'd prefer nothing to FSD beta so I guess I think the Mercedes system is superior even though it doesn't exist. haha. Mercedes doesn't currently charge for their system which is also a big plus.
Being able to play video games while in a traffic jam does sounds pretty cool though. Still waiting for one these promised systems to be released.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I'd prefer nothing to FSD beta so I guess I think the Mercedes system is superior even though it doesn't exist. haha. Mercedes doesn't currently charge for their system which is also a big plus.
Being able to play video games while in a traffic jam does sounds pretty cool though. Still waiting for one these promised systems to be released.
Think how it would do on the Autobahn. :eek: J/K