Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after 6 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having the X for 6 weeks, I thought I would take the time to share my thoughts on our family's experience. I should start with saying it took many sleepless nights trying to decide if we were going through with purchasing the X. Most of my life I have driven cheap cars and really had a hard time justifying spending all most as much as my first condo. I am also been a gadget guy most of my life too, so these two forces made making the decision to buy extremely difficult. :) Lists were made, cost of ownership analyzed, and then I got so tired of thinking about it, that we just bought the car. Over the last 6 weeks, I have been overjoyed with my decision. The car does everything I wanted it to, plus at least once a week it surprises me. There are a few oddities, but overall I have zero regrets in buying the car. Below are some of the highlights and very few low lights I have found.

Highlights
  • Autopilot in stop and go traffic. My commute home, when i don't take my bicycle is on a road that ends up being stop and go traffic for 2 or so miles. It is awesome to get into the right lane, turn on autopilot, and allow myself so decompress time from work.
  • My son's reaction to the car. He loves "his" blue car. Anytime he knows I am driving, it is baba take the black car, Caleb and mama take Caleb's blue car. When he talks about it, which he does often, he will say the doors go ... and make a movement with his hands like the doors opening. Seeing him so happy and excited is probably the biggest unexpected highlight.
  • No thinking speed limits. Two cases just surprised me. On a recent trip to Canada, I thought I was going to do something smart. I switched the car to KM, so that i didn't have to think about the signs and translate. Turns out the car is smarter than me, and when i switched it back to miles, it does the math for you. Another place i didn't expect it to be right was when you have traffic sensitive speed limits. Turns out the car knows those too.
  • Always having a full tank. On our everyday driving, we never worry about if we have enough power to do our daily driving. And on the few trips we take, there are super chargers on the way with plenty of spare power.
  • Ease of getting our two kids out of the car. These exceeded my expectations on how nice it is to just put the kids in their car seats.
  • Summon into a narrow garage. I can't get in and out of the car if it is parked in the garage, but summon works like a champ. Still don't park in the garage often, but at least i know I can park in there if needed.
  • Trunk opens with my bike rack on the hitch. This may seem silly, but the X replaced a Ford Edge and if i bumped the key to open the trunk, it will hit the bike rack.
  • Acceleration. I got the 90D because i didn't need to be crazy fast, but to me, this car still is. It is great to push the "gas" pedal at any time, and have it just go.
  • Windshield. I don't think i can describe it, but it brings a smile to my face when i drive. :)
Low lights
  • Windshield. The double vision is mostly just annoying, and if i wear my polarized sunglasses, it goes away. However I live in Seattle, so I don't wear the sunglasses all of the time. :)
  • Front door windows. I have had it happen about 4 times, but sometimes the window gets out of the track and either ends up outside the door, or just does not go all the way up. Opening and closing the door fixes it, but it is still a little annoying
  • Self presenting front door. When i drive by myself, this feature is awesome. If i am taking two kids out of the car, it is a bit annoying as the door opens and closes a lot going between the two kids.
I should mention for the first two low lights, the service center offered to look at them, possibly replace the molding on the doors for the second, but it is so minor that I would rather be driving the car than worry about those minor inconveniences. I hope a majority of my fellow X owners are also having a similar great experience with their cars. :)

I'm in Seattle too. Just ordered my blue 75D on 5/22. No vin or delivery date yet. I enjoyed your post very much, because I had the same trepidations about the price and am a gadget guy. I was also a little leery in light of all the "bugs" I have been reading about, so I'm glad to see so many positives. Thanks.

Reactions: xkwizit
You mentioned needing 4 bikes loaded (same here). Does 1-UP make a 4 bike rack or extension?
Looking at Kuat, but as stated by @Ritalyn, it does look very long, thus increasing the tongue weight to "nervous" amount.

I use the Thule T2 Pro and Add-On and it is fantastic. Yes, it's super long but an absolute joy to use. Using it on an ICE SUV though, don't have a tow hitch on my Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: jason1466
You mentioned needing 4 bikes loaded (same here). Does 1-UP make a 4 bike rack or extension?
Looking at Kuat, but as stated by @Ritalyn, it does look very long, thus increasing the tongue weight to "nervous" amount.
Yes. The 1 Up can be expanded to hold 4 bikes and can handle bikes up to 50 lbs per spot unless you get the super duty version then you can put bikes up to 75 lbs on the two spots closest to the vehicle.

The 2 bike rack itself weighs 46 lbs, and the add ons each weigh 18 lbs.

All of which is on their website.

Thanks for all that! The only thing I couldn't find is a definitive source for the weight the accessory hitch on the X is rated for - in the manual it says 120#, but that is for the old smaller hitch...others are saying 200# or even 3000# but no source for their info

I recall seeing pictures of the bosal adapter for both the accessory hitch and tow package in other threads here. The label on it says 3500/5000 lbs capacity for 22/20 inch wheels, with 10% tongue weights. So if I read that correctly, it means load capacity is whatever causes less than 350/500 lbs at the hitch connection. Maybe someone else knows how to better read weight limits based on tongue weight, but I would never come close to 500 lbs with my 20 in wheels using a bike rack or a cargo tray.

I recall seeing pictures of the bosal adapter for both the accessory hitch and tow package in other threads here. The label on it says 3500/5000 lbs capacity for 22/20 inch wheels, with 10% tongue weights. So if I read that correctly, it means load capacity is whatever causes less than 350/500 lbs at the hitch connection. Maybe someone else knows how to better read weight limits based on tongue weight, but I would never come close to 500 lbs with my 20 in wheels using a bike rack or a cargo tray.
Neither would I. Even if my bikes weighed 50lbs each which they don't.

Tesla representatives have said the Accessory Hitch has a much lower tongue weight limit but since it doesn't exist yet I see no reason to worry about it.

Going back to bike racks, I also have a Thule T2. Mine is a few years older, I think they call this model the T2 Classic now since the Pro model seems to have a re-designed wheel basket section and some other changes. While I have not tried it on the Model X just yet, plan to do so real soon, I use it with the extension to hold 4 bikes. It's been great on SUV's like the Ford Explorer or larger Expedition. I think the X will handle it just fine and I'm betting I can open the rear trunk hatch just fine with bikes on the rack. It does stick out kinda far and is heavy with 4 bikes on there, but this still seems to be the best option going for something that holds 4 bikes without additional hangers or adapters for bikes that don't have a horizontal frame section, as many of the less substantial curved tube style bike racks require.

Anyway, this bike rack with 4 adult bikes is not going to exceed, or even come close to the rated tongue weight of the tow hitch on the X. The accessory hitch might be a different story, not sure what the rated weight is there.

Reactions: goneskiian