Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Medusa Black wheel covers for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a set of Medusa Black wheels for my Model Y. Unfortunately, they're currently back-ordered for two weeks. I wanted to gather some opinions before making the purchase. Also, does anyone know if there are any promo codes available for rimetrix.com?

Not trying to be a jackass, but just want to make sure you know these are wheel covers and not an actual set of new wheels?

Other than that, I also purchased black wheel covers from Taslem for my Model Y. My opinion is that the Medusa's look better. In hindsight, I probably should have just bought a few cans of plastidip and sprayed the stock wheels to save the $$$.

I have the Rimetrix Laminars, I’m assuming the Medusa are the same two piece design. If so, it’s a pain to remove the separate center cap. I did a review with them in case it helps comparing them to the LASFIT one piece design wheel cover.

Finally have the Medusas on. Literally put them on 10 minutes ago so I don't know what efficiency is like yet. Gotta say I like them even more in-person than in photos. I also like how it makes the wheels look bigger. For the price, I wish the foam strips came pre-applied. Takes about half an hour to put on all 28 strips of foam.

20230913_150318.jpg
20230913_150306.jpg
20230913_144920.jpg

Yes, the caps are separate. I don't like how you're instructed to use a screwdriver and towel to pry them off. I plan to test with suctions cups, like the ones below, to see if they're strong enough to remove the Rimetrix center cap. The suction cups work great for moving regular Tesla center caps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XWPNRY8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I don’t think it will work, it was discussed in the wheel cover thread somewhere buried in this forum. People tried a lot of different options and the only thing that worked was the pry method. One person drilled small holes in their center caps and used a pick to remove them. That worked, but seems like a lot of work and you still have holes.
I just wish Rimetrix would go to a one piece design. They make nice wheels covers, I just wouldn’t buy another set due to the center cap design.

I don’t think it will work, it was discussed in the wheel cover thread somewhere buried in this forum. People tried a lot of different options and the only thing that worked was the pry method. One person drilled small holes in their center caps and used a pick to remove them. That worked, but seems like a lot of work and you still have holes.
I just wish Rimetrix would go to a one piece design. They make nice wheels covers, I just wouldn’t buy another set due to the center cap design.
You're right, as strong as the suction is it gave away without budging the center cap. This sucks.

I have a set of plastic trim tools that I use to safely pry off the tow hitch cover. Hopefully they will work on the center caps without scratches or gouges. Can I just pull off the whole cover with the center caps attached? Seems they only attach to the Medusas themselves, right? I really only care about removing the whole cover before tire rotations or to replace a tire.

You're right, as strong as the suction is it gave away without budging the center cap. This sucks.

I have a set of plastic trim tools that I use to safely pry off the tow hitch cover. Hopefully they will work on the center caps without scratches or gouges. Can I just pull off the whole cover with the center caps attached? Seems they only attach to the Medusas themselves, right? I really only care about removing the whole cover before tire rotations or to replace a tire.
I tried numerous plastic trim tools I had laying around and they were not thin enough, or strong enough to pry the center caps off.
You can’t pull the wheel covers off with the center caps attached. The center caps lock the wheel covers on. They are really hard to get off, even with a flat head screw driver. So pulling the wheel covers off with the center caps attached is impossible.

I don't notice a huge difference in efficiency. On my normal morning commute the Medusas were 1% worse than stock aero covers, but that could just be margin of error. Overall I don't think the Medusas are any better nor worse than the OEM aero covers.

Ran over a nail so will need to patch or get the tire replaced tomorrow (damage is close to the sidewall). Figured I should practice removing the Medusa covers.

I tried avoiding a screwdriver but in the end that's really your best option. I managed not to scratch the center caps at all but left a small scratch where the center cap attaches. It won't be visible once the center cap is replaced. I can now remove the caps in 30 seconds and managed to remove the other three center caps cleanly without any damage to the cap nor the Medusa cover itself.

One cover was secured really tight and very difficult to pull off and I scuffed the edge when it made contact with the driveway. I recommend laying down a towel in front of the tire to avoid this when attempting to pull the Medusa covers off.
20230924_090744.jpg
20230924_092233.jpg
20230924_092338.jpg

Reactions: Kairide
When it comes to upgrading your Tesla Model Y wheels, why not consider Tesery's hub caps. They not only add a touch of elegance to your wheels but are also designed with durability and style in mind.

Here's the link to check them out: Tesery Tesla Hubcap . You can enter discount code “JULIET9890” to get 15% off.

Tesery is known for its quality aftermarket accessories, and these hub caps could be the perfect addition to enhance the overall look of your Model Y.Designed using the original car 1:1 mold opening, fully covered Tesla wheel cap kit seamlessly connects, revealing your original car calipers without any incongruity. Say goodbye to those white corners and elevate your car's sporty appearance. The turbine-inspired design not only adds style but also reduces wind resistance.

Feel free to explore this option, and if you have any specific questions or need further assistance, just let me know. Happy upgrading!

Reactions: Daekwan
I had the Rimetrix (overpriced in my opinion) on my M3 and went with Lasfit for my MY. The locking center cap is not necessarily a bad option, but now you have to trust that anybody that works on your wheels will know how to remove them and even if they do, will do it carefully so as not to scratch them.

The Lasfit has a nice tight fit without being too hard to remove if you need to do it.

When it comes to upgrading your Tesla Model Y wheels, why not consider Tesery's hub caps.
Those hub caps are designed for unidirectional rotation but then all 4 look the same. This mean, on one side of the car, they will be rotating in the wrong direction and create turbulence. This causes range loss. I had a similar set but then I replaced them with a set that has mirror imaged left and right sets.

About Style 3 of Tesery hubcap, the 19-inch model Y and the 18-inch Model 3 are both mirrored left and right collections, only the 20-inch Model Y isunidirectional rotating design.

The hubcap unidirectional rotating design means that all hubcaps look the same when installed and there is no left or right. This design is often used to simplify the manufacturing and installation process and make hubcaps more versatile.

With regard to the issue of turbulence and range loss, it is generally unlikely that a properly installed hubcap will result in significant turbulence or range loss. Hubcaps are often designed and tested to ensure that they do not have a significant adverse effect on air flow while the vehicle is in motion.

As far as comparing the hubcaps to a mirrored left-right collection, the difference may be cosmetic and aesthetic. Some owners may prefer a symmetrical look, while others may prefer a mirrored look. In most cases, this is unlikely to have a significant impact on the performance of the vehicle.

Overall, if hubcaps are installed correctly, they usually do not cause significant turbulence or range loss. Choosing unidirectional rotating design or a symmetrical design is usually a matter of personal preference and aesthetic opinion.