Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Model X interior upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ArmRM7

Jul 16, 2021
Texas
So I really like the refreshed interior of the model X and I think it is a step in the right direction. And I’m fully aware that Tesla are a universe ahead in the software and performance game. That’s why I think it’s time for Tesla to pay more attention to the interior of its cars especially model X/S.

do you think items below should be added to the interior especially given the fact that Model X now easily cost $100K+:
1-Ambient lighting (LED panels around the dash and doors like what Mercedes and bmw have)
2-HUD
3-Blind spot detection on the side mirrors
4-massaging seats

Also, a perfect fit and finish and an overall premium interior/exterior build are a must for a car at that price range.

elon disagrees with you.

the only I am interested is blind spot detection, whether on the instrument cluster or on the mirror.
I think elon disagrees with *this* too - he sees a future where not only is there's no mirrors to put indicators on, there's no *driver* who even needs to know about cars in the blind spot.

Elon seems to be very reluctant to include *any* features that make life easier for a human driver (human passenger yes, driver no).

At least it seems this way for like 90% of his car design impulses. The other 10% are all about the supercar / halo car use-case where there is a driver but it's now a race car driver who can operate a yoke at 150 miles an hour. I don't know .. the whole thing is just confusing.

All I know is a regular guy like me (who actually still enjoys normal driving and does a lot of it) doesn't seem to figure into his world view either way.

I think elon disagrees with *this* too - he sees a future where not only is there's no mirrors to put indicators on, there's no *driver* who even needs to know about cars in the blind spot.

Elon seems to be very reluctant to include *any* features that make life easier for a human driver (human passenger yes, driver no).

At least it seems this way for like 90% of his car design impulses. The other 10% are all about the supercar / halo car use-case where there is a driver but it's now a race car driver who can operate a yoke at 150 miles an hour. I don't know .. the whole thing is just confusing.

All I know is a regular guy like me (who actually still enjoys normal driving and does a lot of it) doesn't seem to figure into his world view either way.

One thing I realized the other day: *we* know there's no blind spot indicator, but non-Tesla drivers do not. I let my friend drive my X and he drove it *expecting* a blindspot indicator when he was merging. That was a little hairy.

• Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger
One thing I realized the other day: *we* know there's no blind spot indicator, but non-Tesla drivers do not. I let my friend drive my X and he drove it *expecting* a blindspot indicator when he was merging. That was a little hairy.
It's not like all other vehicles have blind spot indicators, and quite frankly, you can readily see whether or not a vehicle has them since it's always visibly obvious in the mirrors (even while the indicators are off). It seems more likely your friend habitually uses his blind spot indicators instead of mirrors, which wholly serves to exemplify the problem with idiot-proofing to begin with. It's fortunate that the situation was hairy vs injurious or fatal, and hopefully your friend learned something from it, but suggesting that this implies other non-Tesla drivers think Teslas have blind spot indicators is a bit far-fetched.

It's not like all other vehicles have blind spot indicators, and quite frankly, you can readily see whether or not a vehicle has them since it's always visibly obvious in the mirrors (even while the indicators are off). It seems more likely your friend habitually uses his blind spot indicators instead of mirrors, which wholly serves to exemplify the problem with idiot-proofing to begin with. It's fortunate that the situation was hairy vs injurious or fatal, and hopefully your friend learned something from it, but suggesting that this implies other non-Tesla drivers think Teslas have blind spot indicators is a bit far-fetched.
No, but every modern econobox I've driven has it. You'd expect *any* luxury car to have it. Anecdotally, 100% of the people are surprised when I tell them Tesla does *not* have a blind spot monitoring system. So, I wouldn't say it's a reach.

No, but every modern econobox I've driven has it. You'd expect *any* luxury car to have it. Anecdotally, 100% of the people are surprised when I tell them Tesla does *not* have a blind spot monitoring system. So, I wouldn't say it's a reach.
Yet somehow I've been fortunate enough to never have to own a vehicle with that feature and even seldom be stuck driving one. In case that doesn't make my opinion of the feature clear, to re-iterate, I'm glad my Tesla doesn't have that feature. Considering that, I can't quite figure where you get attributing expectations to me. Perhaps people are surprised because of how you present the fact to them. Most people that own vehicles with TACC probably aren't surprised that Tesla doesn't offer the option to run standard cruise, but that'd be because they don't realize their vehicles with TACC can also do standard cruise. So, if Tesla is wrong to go without blind spot indicators because most people are surprised they did, then Tesla must be right to not offer standard cruise, and by that same logic, Tesla was absolutely right to remove the passenger lumbar, because most people don't look for it to begin with. Also, Tesla is a premium brand, definitely not a luxury brand, but that's a whole separate conversation.

Yet somehow I've been fortunate enough to never have to own a vehicle with that feature and even seldom be stuck driving one. In case that doesn't make my opinion of the feature clear, to re-iterate, I'm glad my Tesla doesn't have that feature. Considering that, I can't quite figure where you get attributing expectations to me. Perhaps people are surprised because of how you present the fact to them. Most people that own vehicles with TACC probably aren't surprised that Tesla doesn't offer the option to run standard cruise, but that'd be because they don't realize their vehicles with TACC can also do standard cruise. So, if Tesla is wrong to go without blind spot indicators because most people are surprised they did, then Tesla must be right to not offer standard cruise, and by that same logic, Tesla was absolutely right to remove the passenger lumbar, because most people don't look for it to begin with. Also, Tesla is a premium brand, definitely not a luxury brand, but that's a whole separate conversation.
👍

Reactions: mxnym
So I really like the refreshed interior of the model X and I think it is a step in the right direction. And I’m fully aware that Tesla are a universe ahead in the software and performance game. That’s why I think it’s time for Tesla to pay more attention to the interior of its cars especially model X/S.

do you think items below should be added to the interior especially given the fact that Model X now easily cost $100K+:
1-Ambient lighting (LED panels around the dash and doors like what Mercedes and bmw have)
2-HUD
3-Blind spot detection on the side mirrors
4-massaging seats

Also, a perfect fit and finish and an overall premium interior/exterior build are a must for a car at that price range.
Absolutely.

Definitely a step in the right direction. The Model X is priced comparably to the new Range Rover and the Model S comparably to the new S Class and check out their interiors and features.

Once Tesla gets past all this pent up demand and is churning out 2 to 3 million vehicles a year they will have to compete on the substance rather than merely relying on the bramd
strength.