Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the "World's First Tesla extension cord"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this?
Tesla ELONG™ Tesla Extension Cable

Only thread I could find is old, here (from the M3 forum):

Mostly negative thoughts on that thread, but, it appears it may still be "coming soon"...? Reposting the question I asked on that necrothread:

So, has this turned out to be vaporware...? Was just looking at their site, it now says "we expect Tesla ELONG to ship by Early 2020." That's a delay from the earlier screenshot indicating "Fall 2019"; and, I would argue, the "early 2020" ship has already sailed....

Anyone ever get to the bottom of the AWG question?

No idea if there is a lockout, but an SC compatible extension cord would be a boon for trailers.

Agreed. I'd pay a significant amount for one.

It would be useful for iced chargers too. (Superchargers are rarely iced anymore, but others regularly are. and I suspect that if you can supercharge over it, you could probably use chademo over it too (on the adapter to car side)).

But even just for this, I'd be interested. I suspect there's a way that it can tell the car or the charger not to exceed 40 amps (or whatever limit). The car can already slow the charge rate if the connector isn't fully plugged in or otherwise isn't making a good connection.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen this?
Tesla ELONG™ Tesla Extension Cable

Only thread I could find is old, here (from the M3 forum):

Mostly negative thoughts on that thread, but, it appears it may still be "coming soon"...? Reposting the question I asked on that necrothread:

So, has this turned out to be vaporware...? Was just looking at their site, it now says "we expect Tesla ELONG to ship by Early 2020." That's a delay from the earlier screenshot indicating "Fall 2019"; and, I would argue, the "early 2020" ship has already sailed....

Anyone ever get to the bottom of the AWG question?
It now says "Sold out."

It now says "Sold out."

Good. That company is horrible. They took 4 months to ship a Jdapter after they cold called me to sell it to me. After waiting for 2 months the owner told the employee that cold called me that they couldn’t give me the free shipping that they offered me.
I have so many more stories. Because of my YouTube channel people reach out to me to tell me about their horrible experiences with them. Buyer beware.

This thread has several posts of people who bought 50A extension cables and never once used them. I’m interested to hear the cases where they came in handy.

I imagine a situation where parked overnight at a home with a dryer or oven outlet just slightly out of reach of the mobile adapter’s cable. Depending on the circumstances just one use might justify the $100 (plus the missing frunk or trunk space, since these cables aren’t compact!)

This thread has several posts of people who bought 50A extension cables and never once used them. I’m interested to hear the cases where they came in handy.

I imagine a situation where parked overnight at a home with a dryer or oven outlet just slightly out of reach of the mobile adapter’s cable. Depending on the circumstances just one use might justify the $100 (plus the missing frunk or trunk space, since these cables aren’t compact!)
I bought a CAMCO 30 ft. extension cord and used it at one of my properties since the 14-50 outlet in the garage was too far away from where the Teslas could park. Worked PERFECTLY and still received 30mph of charge via the UMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
bought a 14-50 extension cable in 2012 - used it a couple times in past 8 years... allows one to tap into a hidden 240v plug at family / friends homes or campsites when traveling and no need to position car strategically to charge. However, over the past few years, even this simple approach has become a hassle as superchargers are plentiful no matter where you go.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt