Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on UP’s efficiency upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Lowering a car will definitely improve efficiency, but with trade-offs for hitting things/scraping. Rear spoilers can definitely improve efficiency by reducing/redirecting the low pressure zone directly behind the car as well.

drag.jpg

I'd like to see some real world testing results before I bite. The lowering springs probably won't work for my driveway, but the lid spoiler looks relatively modest. If that and the rear spoiler can really add up to a nearly 13% drag reduction that could be 30 highway miles on a LR car. At $1,400 it'd be a lot cheaper than 10% more battery and a heck of a lot lighter. My concern is that their CFD might be a little generous. I'd love to see two otherwise identical Model 3s drive side by side for a few miles and see the rates of consumption.

While there looks like a lot of decent scientific research going on, it's only speculation. And there also can be some unanticipated side effects with modifying the airflow. An example of this is the replacement of light bulbs in traffic lights with LED. Better light, less changing bulbs, and lower energy cost. Everything is great isn't it. Well, in winter, it seems that snow started building on the lights and obscuring the light, which had never occurred before. Cause? The old inefficient bulbs generated enough heat to keep the light warm and melt the snow. Solution was to add a thermostatically controlled heat strip to do the same thing.

Is the additional range that important? Are you doing other things, like larger wheels, removing aero covers, that is already decreasing range?

A little more real world testing would be nice.

Er, well carbon fiber is more what I meant.

So did I, they have plans to essentially make a full carbon car eventually (if you want to go that way). Check out their sister company Bulletproof Automotive to see some work they've done on GT-Rs (which are super similar Model 3 if you think about it...both are ~4000 pounds, AWD and lots of power!)

Also see the S-Apex they made: https://electrek.co/2018/10/30/unplugged-performance-tesla-model-s-p100d-s-apex-modified/

Reactions: e-FTW
GT-Rs (which are super similar Model 3 if you think about it...both are ~4000 pounds, AWD and lots of power!)
Funny you should say that: I saw a GT-R today, and thought to myself: “Hey, I used to dream of that car, and now I drive a car with extremely similar specs to the 2007-2011 Godzilla. Neat!”
With much less risk of grenading a transmission... ;-)

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea