Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on why AEB is designed to only reduce speed by 25mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like AEB reduces impact and cannot avoid it.

AEB as implemented by Mercedes and others, will apply braking (40%) without driver input and alerts driver visually and audibly. If driver touches brake while AEB is active, AEB applies 100% braking, in most cases preventing collision. AEB acts at the latest possible moment, allowing following vehicles the greatest chance to also stop or take evasive moves.
No guarantees, but I can tell you from experience, it can prevent the collision, at least at lower than highway speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
And just to add to this:

3) Liability.

If they go out saying it's going to 100% stop a car, and you smack into the back of someone, chances are you would hold Tesla liable. And given they can't even stop / move for fixed inanimate objects I would hold my breath for full stop AEB anytime soon.

Liability = units x ( failure rate x cost of failure - (1 - failure rate) x value of success ).

I think 3) Liability is redundant given 1) and 2).

AEB as implemented by Mercedes and others, will apply braking (40%) without driver input and alerts driver visually and audibly. If driver touches brake while AEB is active, AEB applies 100% braking, in most cases preventing collision. AEB acts at the latest possible moment, allowing following vehicles the greatest chance to also stop or take evasive moves.
No guarantees, but I can tell you from experience, it can prevent the collision, at least at lower than highway speeds.
For Mercedes drivers, we should note that Mercedes autonomous braking only works from 4 mph up to 65 mph according to the manual (pg 68 on the left), and if the object is stationary will work only up to 31 mph.

In the event of a partial application of the brakes, the vehicle is braked with up to 50% of the full braking pressure. (pg 73)

"Adaptive brake assist" is a totally different feature which helps with braking force up to much higher speeds but requires the driver to hit the brake.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
It seems to me this could be improved pretty easily. If the rear camera detects that there are no cars behind you, it could then opt to do a full stop with AEB, since nobody is there to rearend you.
There are still safety issues with this.
What if you have a dog in the back? What if child seats aren't secured properly? What if it's icy or wet or salt on the roads, etc etc.
AEB is not perfect and a false positive can end up doing more harm than good if it were to apply full braking force by itself.

The best thing for AEB is to apply some brake as soon as possible before the human can react, only after the human reacts to slam the brakes then vehicles with braking assist will help apply necessary braking force.

There are still safety issues with this.
What if you have a dog in the back? What if child seats aren't secured properly? What if it's icy or wet or salt on the roads, etc etc.
AEB is not perfect and a false positive can end up doing more harm than good if it were to apply full braking force by itself.

The best thing for AEB is to apply some brake as soon as possible before the human can react, only after the human reacts to slam the brakes then vehicles with braking assist will help apply necessary braking force.

Maybe it is something that can be enabled as an option (and must be actively enabled at the start of each drive). If you know your belongings/pets are secured, and your child seats are properly mounted, turn it on.

Our BMW 750 will brake at any speed, including pressing the accelerator into a car. For example, I was making a right turn onto a main street, car in front. Car in front starts moving, I assume he cleared and while I was looking left he decided to brake. I had pressed the accelerator to move forward and my BMW 750 slammed the brakes to the ground bringing us to a full abrupt stop. Scared the heck out of all of us including me because it happened so fast.

I would have rear ended the car in front of me if it was not for that.

Our BMW 750 will brake at any speed, including pressing the accelerator into a car. For example, I was making a right turn onto a main street, car in front. Car in front starts moving, I assume he cleared and while I was looking left he decided to brake. I had pressed the accelerator to move forward and my BMW 750 slammed the brakes to the ground bringing us to a full abrupt stop. Scared the heck out of all of us including me because it happened so fast.

That’s the system I expect to have.

Reactions: Pkmmte
That’s the system I expect to have.

It also keeps your from bumping a car when parallel parking, both front and back. Pressing the gas pedal gets you nowhere if you're within 4 inches of a car. You can override it by pressing a button on the center console that basically defeats all of the safety systems. It's pretty insane, I'm hoping Tesla can get to that level soon.

This is how I would have expected AEB to react in the same situation... but, what if you needed to accelerate to perform an evasive maneuver?

This is how I would have expected AEB to react in the same situation... but, what if you needed to accelerate to perform an evasive maneuver?

I’m thinking the kick down button on the BMW will override it.

BMW is famous for having a small button at the bottom of the gas pedal which will override the mode you’re in. Like if you have it on manual shift you can step on the gas all the way and it’ll stay in the selected gear. But once you press it past the “kick down” button it will put the car back in auto mode and downshift to the best gear to accelerate out of your situation.

Basically, if you're in stop and go traffic, it'll stop, just like a Tesla. If you're going highway speeds, then it will not necessarily stop the vehicle in time without driver intervention.

Yes. "Basically" a Tesla should come to a complete stop in stop-and-go traffic, but not always. :)

Why does this happen and why does AEB only slow down when traveling in excess of 29 mph? Simple: "Autopilot is not perfect."

Why doesn't AEB stop the car completely in all instances when TACC and AP are not engaged? After all, false-positives would not exist when all other driver-assist features are turned off. Right?

Why doesn't AEB stop the car completely in all instances when TACC and AP are not engaged? After all, false-positives would not exist when all other driver-assist features are turned off. Right?
False positives are a problem for all AEB systems by all car makers. The sensors used by the AEB programming are the same ones used by TACC/autosteer, so of course the same false positive problem exists. False positives can cause accidents, so some balance is required. In my opinion the technology will never be perfect, but it will continue to increase safety as it is developed.

Yes. "Basically" a Tesla should come to a complete stop in stop-and-go traffic, but not always. :)

Why does this happen and why does AEB only slow down when traveling in excess of 29 mph? Simple: "Autopilot is not perfect."

I'd argue most other cars with AEB would have the same trouble recognizing the corner of an armored truck as a "car"

Most implementations of AEB use object recognition. User manuals of many of these, including some of the ones I've linked to mention they don't work for non-cars, or in turns, or in bad weather conditions, etc.

Keep in mind AEB is a driver-assist feature

• Helpful
Reactions: DR61