Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed reduced to 130 for LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like (and appears to me via many pokings around, including service mode) there is no way to check what the software limit to speed is via the interface, is that folks' understanding as well? I'm not going to the track to check my top speed, but I did get a late '23, whose top speed was advertised at 150, and I'd like to think it's still there, but have no easy way to check. 🤔
You can always place your car on a dyno to find out

It looks like this change was made simply because of a tire change. Previously Tesla was using Continental ProContact 104W Front 107W Rear. W speed rating is for 168 mph. New tires shipped on the '24 MSLR I recently demo'd are ProContact 104V 107V. V speed rating is 149 mph. I don't know why they changed the tire, but they are probably trying to squeeze out every mile of range they can, as this is Tesla's longest range model in their lineup. I imagine this tire has a different compound and possibly less weight.

View attachment 1016920
This is precisely the reason I suspected. Thanks for posting.

149 is not 130…

It appears that 149 is nineteen more than 130.
Yes, so this 19 mph difference is a bit more conservative than their previous level of conservatism. I can't verify what the change is on the 21" Goodyear Eagles used on the optional Arachnids. Maybe someone else will see a '24 MSLR with Arachnids in the wild. Plaid tires were not changed it appears, and they just took the big range de-rating on Plaid, though the whole discussion is really about the rating, as the cars are the same. Here on MSLR they are trying to preserve as much range as possible, I imagine in part because MSLR on 19" wheels was/is their biggest range vehicle.

Reactions: Beandoc
I honestly can't understand why someone would care about the top speed of only 130 mph on a long range Model S in the US anyway. It's not a car people will track often if ever. Anyone seriously considering that would get a Plaid.

Reactions: Jagular
Why are you assuming Tesla is going to limit top speed via a software update? There’s absolutely no evidence of that.

Relax everyone… Tesla adjusts all sorts of things on *new* cars (top speed, max power, software features like regen toggle, etc) without forcing changes on existing vehicles.
I have a 2021 that was advertised and sold to have a top speed of 155.
They installed a update that now lowers that to 149.
I'm sure there is 130 update coming, but we will see!

Test drove a 2024 MSLR; took it out on I-78 here in SoCali. Not only is it capped @130 mph, but after ~120 mph it starts to slow down -- being modulated :/. So the quarter mile is in no way in the the high 10's now.
Makes me EXTREMELY happy to have the non nerfed 2022 model year. I’ll be curious what it runs now. It’s a good chance it’s still a high 10 car. It traps 130 so it would have to slow down a LOT starting at 120 to bump it from a 10.7-10.8 to an 11 flat

I agree. I'm looking at a demoed 2023 model (149 mph cap) or just waiting for a 2024 M3 'Ludicrous' @ 618 HP (461 kW supposedly). I'm going to take
my draggy with me and demo the car again I reckon ... get @ least a time on it. Yeah the 2022 can hit 10.7 - 10.8s no problem.

Reactions: cptnslo