Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed reduced to 130 for LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw an article from another site and double checked on Tesla's website that the top Speed for Long Range is now 130. Is this just for new orders or are current owners of refresh LRs also going to be reduced through software updates? Not that I am going 130+ often, but still.

Thanks.

Can you post the article

1000005722.png

1000005723.png

Just about any other car in Tesla’s line up including the MYLR and model 3 SR has a higher top speed. Even though most people don’t hit that it’s a joke to limit a 670hp super car to 130 mph. If you do so at least enable a track mode top speed unlock. Some PM bureaucrat messed up. Maybe they want to sell more Plaids.

Reactions: kopo and Evee
Wait I might have misunderstood then. So this will be for model s going forward? This isn’t going to be a software update that all encompasses.
That's what I was trying to figure out. I guess one way to figure out if any of these "new specs" will impact existing owners (besides someone testing top speed) is if a Plaid owner checks their range estimate after the most recent software update.

Reactions: cptnslo
I question the legality of Tesla reducing the top speed of your car after you have taken ownership.
No, they can't do that... the top speed limit (I think) is written within the car spec's. I think 2021-2023 model years will continue to have the full original speed limit.
It's possible that the new lower speed limit is related to new tires limit.... I would gladly use those tires next time I change my tires if they are more efficient. I don't see why I would ever exceed 90 MPH on the US anyway. I drive the car with passion but I never ever exceed speed limits by more than 10 MPH, and I never ever take my car to tracks. 150-130 MPH is just useless for me and hence I would gladly take a more efficient tire. I hope that this is the reason for the lower speed limit really

Reactions: dsm363
No, they can't do that... the top speed limit (I think) is written within the car spec's. I think 2021-2023 model years will continue to have the full original speed limit.
It's possible that the new lower speed limit is related to new tires limit.... I would gladly use those tires next time I change my tires if they are more efficient. I don't see why I would ever exceed 90 MPH on the US anyway. I drive the car with passion but I never ever exceed speed limits by more than 10 MPH, and I never ever take my car to tracks. 150-130 MPH is just useless for me and hence I would gladly take a more efficient tire. I hope that this is the reason for the lower speed limit really
It means future software updates will be year specific which I can’t see them wanting to deal with. You’d have to be very careful you don’t accidentally install an update that nerfs your top speed