Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed reduced to 130 for LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It means future software updates will be year specific which I can’t see them wanting to deal with. You’d have to be very careful you don’t accidentally install an update that nerfs your top speed

Why are you assuming Tesla is going to limit top speed via a software update? There’s absolutely no evidence of that.

Relax everyone… Tesla adjusts all sorts of things on *new* cars (top speed, max power, software features like regen toggle, etc) without forcing changes on existing vehicles.

Why are you assuming Tesla is going to limit top speed via a software update? There’s absolutely no evidence of that.

Relax everyone… Tesla adjusts all sorts of things on *new* cars (top speed, max power, software features like regen toggle, etc) without forcing changes on existing vehicles.
Because the traditional limits to top speed, minus software limiters, is gearing (not the same in an EV), drag and aero both of which aren’t the contributing factors because the car went faster prior to this “nerf” that would basically leave software as the only way this would be done.

It means future software updates will be year specific which I can’t see them wanting to deal with. You’d have to be very careful you don’t accidentally install an update that nerfs your top speed
That’s not how software is written. An operating system like Linux and Windows is the same software that can be run on a multitude of hardware configurations. Same with Tesla’s so called “firmware”. It knows the car’s hardware configuration, including down to electronic component identifiers and time of make.

There’s close to 0 chance future updates will nerf the 2021-2023 models internationally (not-withstanding unintentional bugs). Don’t skip update s fearing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: terranx
Because the traditional limits to top speed, minus software limiters, is gearing (not the same in an EV), drag and aero both of which aren’t the contributing factors because the car went faster prior to this “nerf” that would basically leave software as the only way this would be done.
I guess this perspective depends upon your view of what "traditional" means. I know for certain working with software calibrations for certain other ICE US vehicles have a software vehicle speed limiter built it. It will automatically cut fueling to limit vehicle speed to the manufacturer defined limit. That feature was independent of an engine speed limiter which would prevent over-speed related failures for the engine.

This vehicle speed limit would again go back to the OEM tire spec which the car has been developed/supplied to use.

Now back in the days before electronic engine controls, I agree, max vehicle speed was limited by factors such as vehicle gearing, etc., but that's not necessarily held for many vehicles for quite some time.

Reactions: Yelobird

Limited charging speeds, limited battery capacity, removed the functions of radar............ Tesla did all of those things after the cars were purchased, they have a history of nerfing cars with software updates.

The top speed is advertised on their sales page and front page car specs. The radar and battery capacity - not so much, just the estimated range. I am willing to bet you have legal case if they limp your top speed after the fact. "I bought the car because I read it had radar or I read it had a 95 kwh battery but turns out car doesn't use these to their full potential" is a weak argument, but "I bought the car because you said it can do 155mphs and you nerfed to 130 after" - if I were a lawyer I'd advertise signing up on class action for this.

The top speed is advertised on their sales page and front page car specs. The radar and battery capacity - not so much, just the estimated range. I am willing to bet you have legal case if they limp your top speed after the fact. "I bought the car because I read it had radar or I read it had a 95 kwh battery but turns out car doesn't use these to their full potential" is a weak argument, but "I bought the car because you said it can do 155mphs and you nerfed to 130 after" - if I were a lawyer I'd advertise signing up on class action for this.
Problem is you’d need an image showing where it says that since now it says 130

Once something has been up on the internet there is a record of it, but I am sure Tesla has internal specs they submit to regulators, top speed is government-regulated so there is a record of the 155mph and 149mph entries somewhere. The chance of this ever being a valid argument (show us where it says X mph) is 0.

They can still try to nerf the top speed and the order agreement has some vague language about the buyer agreeing to have software updates that can "impact" existing features, but I don't think it holds well in a real dispute. If it did, Tesla would not be asking for these 2024 order re-confirmations and offering deposit refunds. It's also not that complex to avoid pissing off existing customers and avoid disputes by checking the car's year and version and do it on the "right" configurations only.

Once something has been up on the internet there is a record of it, but I am sure Tesla has internal specs they submit to regulators, top speed is government-regulated so there is a record of the 155mph and 149mph entries somewhere. The chance of this ever being a valid argument (show us where it says X mph) is 0.

They can still try to nerf the top speed and the order agreement has some vague language about the buyer agreeing to have software updates that can "impact" existing features, but I don't think it holds well in a real dispute. If it did, Tesla would not be asking for these 2024 order re-confirmations and offering deposit refunds. It's also not that complex to avoid pissing off existing customers and avoid disputes by checking the car's year and version and do it on the "right" configurations only.
Why are you arguing about something that hasn’t happened?

What exactly hasn't happened? The question was if Tesla would lower top speed in pre-2023 model S and some concern was expressed earlier in this thread they would. I am just "arguing" they won't, but mostly guessing.
Because in your previous responses you’re calling for class action lawyers for something that hasn’t happened. They have not “nerfed” anything nor said they would.

• Disagree
Reactions: Milan Djabirov

It sounds like (and appears to me via many pokings around, including service mode) there is no way to check what the software limit to speed is via the interface, is that folks' understanding as well? I'm not going to the track to check my top speed, but I did get a late '23, whose top speed was advertised at 150, and I'd like to think it's still there, but have no easy way to check. 🤔

It looks like this change was made simply because of a tire change. Previously Tesla was using Continental ProContact 104W Front 107W Rear. W speed rating is for 168 mph. New tires shipped on the '24 MSLR I recently demo'd are ProContact 104V 107V. V speed rating is 149 mph. I don't know why they changed the tire, but they are probably trying to squeeze out every mile of range they can, as this is Tesla's longest range model in their lineup. I imagine this tire has a different compound and possibly less weight.

1707503517950.png

• Informative
Reactions: MarkinArch