TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Three phase smart meters

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by LukeT, Sep 22, 2019.

1. LukeT

LukeT Member

We have a three phase supply and have thus far drawn a blank as far as smart meters are concerned. We'd obviously need one for an EV tariff.

Does anyone have any experience of smart metering on a three phase supply or any more expert info on when or whether it might happen?

2. NewbieT

NewbieT Member

Domestically, call your supplier.

In the commercial world, electricity supplies over a certain size (so not likely to be yours) have half-hourly metering. A separate contract ‘Meter Operator Agreement’ with a Meter Operator (not the Supplier). They fit and read 3-phase smart meters. About £300 per year for a MOP :eek:.

3. ScottishRosco

ScottishRosco Member

I got told it isn’t going to happen any time soon...

Probably as they can’t get them rolled out fast enough anyway!

4. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

how have you got a 3 phase supply?...jealous!

5. LukeT

LukeT Member

It's a new (self) build so we had the option from the grid Co to go single or three phase. A bit more than 10% cost difference between the two which I thought was well worth it for various benefits (more heat pump options, scope for more PV, faster car charging). It's also a big house plus potential outbuildings on today's technology (no other energy source even if our uses are efficient) so I thought worth a bit of extra headroom for some unforeseen change in the future.

Our supplier (E.On) around Christmas time couldn't offer a smart meter. In fact, they couldn't do a SMETS2 one on single phase either. And the other smaller ones I called wouldn't do a new build at all because they'd only take on an existing meter/connection. So we have a new but dumb meter. I figured I'd leave it a while and try again but now we have an EV I'd be keen to hurry along to an EV tariff.

• Like x 3
  6. LukeT

LukeT Member

I get the same impression but only really from an Internet trawl. But did you get that first hand from eg a supplier?

7. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Be worth looking at solar as well if you haven't already

8. LukeT

LukeT Member

That's very much my plan. It's a slow process building a house though (for me anyway). I intend a PV/Zappi/EV/immersion heaters arrangement and hope I'll have room for well over the normal domestic PV kW limit, hence three phase.

9. ScottishRosco

ScottishRosco Member

I did. My previous supplier wanted to install a smart meter. I asked them if they were sure as it’s a three phase supply. The call centre didn’t know so passed it on. I eventually got an email stating three phase consumer smart meters will not be available for the foreseeable future.

As a result I am considered changing to a single phase supply. They will apparently just remove the fuses for the unused phases.