Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three phase smart meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a three phase supply and have thus far drawn a blank as far as smart meters are concerned. We'd obviously need one for an EV tariff.

Does anyone have any experience of smart metering on a three phase supply or any more expert info on when or whether it might happen?

Domestically, call your supplier.

In the commercial world, electricity supplies over a certain size (so not likely to be yours) have half-hourly metering. A separate contract ‘Meter Operator Agreement’ with a Meter Operator (not the Supplier). They fit and read 3-phase smart meters. About £300 per year for a MOP :eek:.

We have a three phase supply and have thus far drawn a blank as far as smart meters are concerned. We'd obviously need one for an EV tariff.

Does anyone have any experience of smart metering on a three phase supply or any more expert info on when or whether it might happen?
how have you got a 3 phase supply?...jealous!

how have you got a 3 phase supply?...jealous!

It's a new (self) build so we had the option from the grid Co to go single or three phase. A bit more than 10% cost difference between the two which I thought was well worth it for various benefits (more heat pump options, scope for more PV, faster car charging). It's also a big house plus potential outbuildings on today's technology (no other energy source even if our uses are efficient) so I thought worth a bit of extra headroom for some unforeseen change in the future.

Our supplier (E.On) around Christmas time couldn't offer a smart meter. In fact, they couldn't do a SMETS2 one on single phase either. And the other smaller ones I called wouldn't do a new build at all because they'd only take on an existing meter/connection. So we have a new but dumb meter. I figured I'd leave it a while and try again but now we have an EV I'd be keen to hurry along to an EV tariff.

It's a new (self) build so we had the option from the grid Co to go single or three phase. A bit more than 10% cost difference between the two which I thought was well worth it for various benefits (more heat pump options, scope for more PV, faster car charging). It's also a big house plus potential outbuildings on today's technology (no other energy source even if our uses are efficient) so I thought worth a bit of extra headroom for some unforeseen change in the future.

Our supplier (E.On) around Christmas time couldn't offer a smart meter. In fact, they couldn't do a SMETS2 one on single phase either. And the other smaller ones I called wouldn't do a new build at all because they'd only take on an existing meter/connection. So we have a new but dumb meter. I figured I'd leave it a while and try again but now we have an EV I'd be keen to hurry along to an EV tariff.
Be worth looking at solar as well if you haven't already

I did. My previous supplier wanted to install a smart meter. I asked them if they were sure as it’s a three phase supply. The call centre didn’t know so passed it on. I eventually got an email stating three phase consumer smart meters will not be available for the foreseeable future.

As a result I am considered changing to a single phase supply. They will apparently just remove the fuses for the unused phases.