Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tick marks on kw meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I often wonder about this as well. Having two ticks doesn't seem quite right.

I imagine the major tick (the first one) is the 'halfway' point on the scale. So between 20kW and 40kW it represents 30kW. It seems to fit logarithmically. I would think the other minor tick is 35kW, but why wouldn't you also put a 25kW tick on there.

I imagine the major tick (the first one) is the 'halfway' point on the scale. So between 20kW and 40kW it represents 30kW. It seems to fit logarithmically. I would think the other minor tick is 35kW, but why wouldn't you also put a 25kW tick on there.
I think they were trying to emphasize that the scale is logarithmic. That said, I'm pretty sure the major tick (in bold) is the halfway point at 30kW. Note that the halfway point between the speeds on the speedometer use the bold ticks. I think the minor (lighter) 1/4 tick below it IS the 25kW mark. There's no 35kW 1/4 tick because with the display's resolution it'd be difficult to discern between the 40kW line and the 30kW bold tick.

That said, I could definitely be wrong, but that was my reading of how the thing worked. I agree with you that the lighter tick is closer to where the midpoint *should* be on a straight logarithmic scale, but I kind of think they set it up as above.

Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
I've often wondered if anyone has asked Tesla if they could put in a digital display of kW in addition to the meter, like they do with speed. Obviously it wouldn't have to be as big, maybe they could sneak it underneath the circular display.

What's even more strange is that the initial scale appears to be linear. From 0kW to the first major marker (20kW) is 20kW. And from that first major marker (20kW) to the second major marker (40kW) is also 20kW. It's then logarithmic from there. The same is true on the re-gen side.

What's even more strange is that the initial scale appears to be linear. From 0kW to the first major marker (20kW) is 20kW. And from that first major marker (20kW) to the second major marker (40kW) is also 20kW. It's then logarithmic from there. The same is true on the re-gen side.
Optical illusion. "Early" parts of an exponential scale often look linear compared to "later" parts.

It probably is linear. It can't be logarithmic all the way to zero. Zero is infinitely far down on a logarithmic scale.