Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ticking Noise Model 3 HVAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first start driving somewhere, typically the first 10-15 minutes or so, there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from my driver side air vent. It goes away eventually, but I notice it every time I initially start my drive somewhere. I have only noticed it the last few weeks, where it has been rather cold in my area. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with the issue, but has anybody else experienced a similar noise?

I seem to have the same thing from the right side of my dash. Happens about every 10-30 seconds for the first 5-10 minutes of a drive. If I turn climate control off, it doesn’t happen. Mine isn’t very loud, so if you weren’t paying attention or had music or something playing, you wouldn’t notice it. Did you ever figure it out or take the car in for service?

I don't have a Model 3 but if they use the same style actuators for the climate control system as the S/X, it might be those cause the ticking noise. I hear it in so many Teslas. The actuators don't outright fail, but some of the gears inside seem to wear out or get stuck. The actuator keeps trying but can't reach the position. That's causing the ticking noise. In the S/X these cost $23 and are not too difficult to replace. I just had it done on mine. Now the car is silent again.

I seem to have the same thing from the right side of my dash. Happens about every 10-30 seconds for the first 5-10 minutes of a drive. If I turn climate control off, it doesn’t happen. Mine isn’t very loud, so if you weren’t paying attention or had music or something playing, you wouldn’t notice it. Did you ever figure it out or take the car in for service?
I have a service appointment this Saturday. I can keep you posted!

Reactions: gtg465x
When I first start driving somewhere, typically the first 10-15 minutes or so, there is a ticking noise that seems to be coming from my driver side air vent. It goes away eventually, but I notice it every time I initially start my drive somewhere. I have only noticed it the last few weeks, where it has been rather cold in my area. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with the issue, but has anybody else experienced a similar noise?
same thing and it only started recently. I'm sensitive to strange new small sounds and this was not there before. I thought it was my new phone mount which is of course in the same upper left dashboard area.

Had it in service this morning. They replaced the actuator on the driver side. Issue seems resolved. Took about 30 minutes. Seems to be a common issue
I have the same issue on my MY that was built in Dec 2022. I am taking it in next week and hope that they can fix it...

Did they ask you to provide a video or anything demonstrating the noise? I had the car checked out a while back when it was in for a different service and they said they couldn't reproduce it so I'm giving it another go.

Pretty sure it’s just the expansion/contraction of the plastic components when a different temperature is introduced. I get the same thing. Stops after a few mins once the plastic has acclimated. Don’t think it’s anything to worry about.