Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal gapless playback?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have the Tidal update for a few days now (2021.40.6). Sounds awesome! Unfortunately, it seems that Tidal does not support gapless playback. This is especially annoying with continuous mixes or seamless intros on albums. Now there is an unwanted silence in between every song.

Does anyone else has this issue, or know when/if this will be fixed?

I just switched to Tidal too and was disappointed to find it's not gapless on the Model S. I mostly listen to mixes so it's a deal breaker for me. Guess I'll have to just use the iOS app instead. Maybe we should all report this as a bug ;)

I did and they already know about it. They say they are working on a fix.

But Tidal is missing features that are a deal breaker anyways.

1) You can't play your playlists on Amazon's Echo via voice.
2) You can't use the app to cast your music to external speakers like Echos, AVRs, etc. i.e. with Spotify connect, I can throw the music out to any Spotifiy connect compatible device locally or remotely. I have 30+ external speaker devices. When I'm listening to Spotify in the garage and I get in the Tesla, the music transfers at the exact same spot in the song into the Tesla.

But because of #2, I still can't play my playlists on any external device outside the app.

Tidal says they're aware of these issues but have no plans currently to implement them. I'm guessing Spotify may have patents on all of this.

Reactions: Maric
I must say I do miss being able to cast to my Alexa. It's funny Tidal use the same icon that Spotify use for that, and it got my hopes up. You know you can connect to an echo over Bluetooth to play right? It's not as seamless but it does work ok. You do have too many external speaker devices ;)

I must say I do miss being able to cast to my Alexa. It's funny Tidal use the same icon that Spotify use for that, and it got my hopes up. You know you can connect to an echo over Bluetooth to play right? It's not as seamless but it does work ok. You do have too many external speaker devices ;)

Not in my case. The 8 zones of speakers inside and outside the house are homerun back to a central server cabinet to amps that auto switch between echo inputs and airplays. The echo inputs (which should be named echo outputs) are paired with with individual echos throughout the has matched to the echo inputs for each zone.

For example, when I'm in the garage, the Alexa on the wall takes my voice command to play music but the music comes out of the echo input in the server cabinet and then out through the in-ceiling speakers and sub in the garage. The music isn't played through the Alexa that took the voice command.

Reactions: Clover
It’s inexcusable that Tidal that sells itself as a premium music streaming platform does not have gapless playback. Mind boggling stupid. I have both Tidal and Spotify and Tidal definitely sounds better. No contest, but annoying as hell to hear all those silent gaps. I asked them why they didn’t have it, their reply was “we polled our customer base and it wasn’t important to them “ Hard to believe….

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
It’s inexcusable that Tidal that sells itself as a premium music streaming platform does not have gapless playback. Mind boggling stupid. I have both Tidal and Spotify and Tidal definitely sounds better. No contest, but annoying as hell to hear all those silent gaps. I asked them why they didn’t have it, their reply was “we polled our customer base and it wasn’t important to them “ Hard to believe….
I canceled tidal last month because of lack of gapless. When I first signed up a year ago, I contacted support over gapless. They assured me that it was a high priority request and would be implemented soon.

I'm on a 3 month trial of Tidal Hifi now and have not been too impressed. Maybe I'm not using it correctly, but when feeding my Chord TT2 DAC, my DAC is not picking it up as actually being higher resolution than Spotify which goes in the face of what I was expecting and what should be. My wife blind tested me on my setup which is over $10K and I picked Tidal 3 out of 5 songs, but I'm not sure I'm really telling a difference to be honest. I kind of want to ask her to help me do it again before I cancel Tidal but she only has so much patience. I know people say Tidal over Spotify, but on limited listening, I'm just not hearing a big difference to be honest. The gapless bugs me too. Maybe it would be different if I had a MQA capable DAC, but I'm currently feeling like Tidal is overhyped.

My experience is that it varies album to album. When comparing some albums there is a large difference, Tidal has no hiss , lower noise floor and much fuller sound. Spotify his noise artifacts hiss and brittle sound, harsh on the ears. Other times there’s less of a difference but Tidal to me always sounds better. I’m a musician and love listening to music in my car so I have both , but just inexcusable that Tidal is not delivering a true premium service as long as it’s lacking gapless playback.