Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tidal vs Spotify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you are 18yrs old your ears can't even hear 20,000 Hz anymore. But not going to head down that rabbit hole.

I'm a bit mystified by Tidal. The interface on some songs show in Blue HiFi...hmmm...so what, I'm only getting the poor quality of Spotify if it doesn't say HiFi on some of their tracks? A few tracks on Tidal also have clicking/popping etc..they have several versions of an Artists's songs on albums, some work fine, some sound like garbage.

Last, who knows, with the garbage LTE the car has, spotty Cell coverage, you won't really know what bitrate your are actually getting on this car. I can slightly tell a difference on some music that Tidal is better...the poor non-reference quality speakers in the Tesla are part of the problem...but again, rabbit hole when it comes to audio/speakers/quality etc. Yet some music sounds exactly the same on Spotify and Tidal, I will go back/forth on the same song and can't tell a difference.

I would say that my .mp3 that are 320kpbs even though lossy...sound better than anything streaming on this car even with the so-so speakers/sound system the car has.

IDK...as others have suggested. FLAC on a USB if you have it will be best, but just marginal...then the road noise alone will kill half of that quality you thought you just had over streaming anyway...so yeah....

Anyone else getting the HiFi icon on Spotify music? Assuming this means Spotify's full 320kb data rate?

1644253816655.png

Last edited:
Unless you are 18yrs old your ears can't even hear 20,000 Hz anymore. But not going to head down that rabbit hole.

No but long after we're 12, we can hear the initial *ring* and then the *decay*, when a real (not computer synthesized) cymbal or a high hat gets struck, or a real string gets plucked, in a real room... the way a room *rings*... something with real (complex) harmonics. And a lot of (most? all?) flavors of lossy don't do *as well* at capturing and properly reproducing that, when listened to on a quality HiFi rig in a quiet space with low background noise...

Now our cars aren't actually "quality HiFi rigs," and I only listen to music in it when I'm driving (high road noise levels), so whether or not any of that actually matters in our cars is another matter... just pointing out that the difference between lossy and lossless isn't simply a truncating of higher frequencies, is all....

No but long after we're 12, we can hear the initial *ring* and then the *decay*, when a real (not computer synthesized) cymbal or a high hat gets struck, or a real string gets plucked, in a real room... the way a room *rings*... something with real (complex) harmonics. And a lot of (most? all?) flavors of lossy don't do *as well* at capturing and properly reproducing that, when listened to on a quality HiFi rig in a quiet space with low background noise...

Now our cars aren't actually "quality HiFi rigs," and I only listen to music in it when I'm driving (high road noise levels), so whether or not any of that actually matters in our cars is another matter... just pointing out that the difference between lossy and lossless isn't simply a truncating of higher frequencies, is all....
I think this is what makes the higher bitrates just sound right vs. lossy formats. It creates the "presence" in music that I always found MP3 lacks, and that leads to listener fatigue. You hear the sound but something is missing, and your brain doesn't like that. And when the fat lady sings you want the full impact of her voice so when a semi is passing you on the left she can still come through, otherwise what chance does she have? (A real example from a recent trip, btw)

Reactions: psuKinger