Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for new tires on my dual motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a bunch of threads along the lines of tires but none really help me a whole lot.

I’m at 32k miles and I think I’ll be hitting treadbars on fronts and backs at around 35-36k on my oem tires.

OEM tires are really expensive and I’m not all that amazed by them.
I am looking at two tires to replace with
1. Continental Pro Contact Sport A/S
2. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus

Both are about $750 after taxes and installed

Does anybody have experience with either of these? Reason I should avoid one?

I know there are a bunch of threads along the lines of tires but none really help me a whole lot.

I’m at 32k miles and I think I’ll be hitting treadbars on fronts and backs at around 35-36k on my oem tires.

Thanks for creating this thread as many will soon need new tires as well! Look forward to reading what other's have experienced with different tires and inflation pressures.

Reactions: golfpilot
I ordered these for my Chevy Volt, Michelin Energy Saver A/S through Costco, $708.00 installed out the door after the $70.00 instant rebate. Will see how these perform as they are rated high on the LRR. I might go with these on my model 3.

Fred

Best all season tire for the car hands down is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 +. Take a look at tire rack's rating of ultrahigh performance all season tires here. You have an amazing drivetrain, but you haven't experienced anything approaching its full capability until you've tried something like these.

Even better if you don't need winter capability is of course the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which is probably the best street tire you can put on a vehicle. But it's pricey. So that's probably out of your budget.

I had the Pirelli P Zero Nero's - not sure if they're the same All Season Plus you refer to above. Performance and price were excellent, however they are very soft and I was only able to drive 18K on them before I had to replace them with the Michelin Primacy MXV4's

Best all season tire for the car hands down is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 +. Take a look at tire rack's rating of ultrahigh performance all season tires here. You have an amazing drivetrain, but you haven't experienced anything approaching its full capability until you've tried something like these.

Even better if you don't need winter capability is of course the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which is probably the best street tire you can put on a vehicle. But it's pricey. So that's probably out of your budget.

I do a lot of driving. Going to be about 35k in 1 year. Most of it is on the freeway. I’m specifically looking for tires with longer warranties. Both the ones I have listed have 50,000 mile warranties. The pilot sport 4S’ go 30,000. If it said it was a better tire and lasted just as long I’d be willing to pay more.
Shorter life might not be an issue for someone who drives less. But for me it’s a hassle.

Agreed. The Pilot Sport A/S3+s are great all around tire. I may switch to them when the 4Ss need replacing.

Reactions: SgtTortuga
I do a lot of driving. Going to be about 35k in 1 year. Most of it is on the freeway. I’m specifically looking for tires with longer warranties. Both the ones I have listed have 50,000 mile warranties. The pilot sport 4S’ go 30,000. If it said it was a better tire and lasted just as long I’d be willing to pay more.
Shorter life might not be an issue for someone who drives less. But for me it’s a hassle.

I think I understand your logic. But for me the more I drive the more valuable the truly class-leading excellent Tire becomes. It's literally a lifeline. And if the car is more enjoyable to drive with a better tire, that makes driving less of a hassle. You will get 35000 miles out of those if you don't stomp the right pedal all the time. Assuming that is your car is carefully aligned and you don't take Corners like Mario Andretti.

Reactions: golfpilot
I think I understand your logic. But for me the more I drive the more valuable the truly class-leading excellent Tire becomes. It's literally a lifeline. And if the car is more enjoyable to drive with a better tire, that makes driving less of a hassle. You will get 35000 miles out of those if you don't stomp the right pedal all the time. Assuming that is your car is carefully aligned and you don't take Corners like Mario Andretti.
I went onto america's tire. I typed in model 3, 18 inch wheels, all season, Y speed rating, and "best" category. Only two tires popped up. If I also hit the "performance" category a couple others pop up including the Pilot Sports. Looking at the specs the only difference seems to be the Pilot Sports use a softer rubber. This does translate to a slightly better ride but also faster wear. The difference might not even be noticeable to someone like me who spends 95% of my time on the freeway with AP engaged. I'll be keeping the Performance mark ticked now though, I didn't realize those were "all-season" too.
Apparently Michelin is coming out with a Pilot Sport 4 all season. It's going to be standard equipment on the new mid-engine Corvette.
I may be waiting just long enough to actually see these come out.

The primacies I am replacing are an all around lower quality tire than all 3.

Update here. I have been dragging my feat getting new tires. I am now at 45k miles on the stock ones. There is a little bit of life left but there is beginning give me a little bit of slipping and I am noticing the traction control kicking in a little more. My tire shopping has restarted.
I'm still really interested in the Pirelli All-Seasons. But the AS Sport 3+ and the Yokahoma Advan Sports are also on my short list. Anyone change tires recently can give some input.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ only come in the stock 235/45 18 in the V-speed rated version(High Performance All Season). The Y-speed rated version(Ultra High Performance All Season) closest size is 245/45 18. Is the V-speed rated version as good as the Y-speed rated version? I don't think anyone will be going over 149 mph.

I called Michelin and they said the V and Y speed rated tires are the same compounds and should perform the same. The only difference was the speed rating. Officially they could only recommend the Y speed rated ones, even though the Model 3 top speed is 145 mph, because that is what their specs said. Tire Rack said that I could use either speed rating but that the Y version would be better on the track and very aggressive driving. Also would have a little firmer handling due to the higher speed rating. Decisions, decisions.