Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for new tires on my dual motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a set of DWS on an E500 4matic wagon - LOVED them. If you don't need tires for snow (GA?) I would maybe get the DW and skip the S. Thread on here about the DWS tires.

I've been running DWS 06 on my 18" aeros for the last 4 months and 2.5k miles. The handling is noticeably better than the MXM4s, even in a low speed maneuver like a lane change. Efficiency didn't go down as much as I'd feared it would. I'm getting 243Wh/mi. now vs. 233Wh/mi. on the MXM4s over 22k miles, although I've been running the heater (typically 55F outside during commute and 72F inside). The negligible degradation is likely because I ran the MXM4s at 39psi to make the ride softer and I'm running the DWS 06 at 42psi. At 42psi, the DWS 06 still has a better/softer ride than the MXM4s. My main complaint and the reason I won't get the DWS 06 again is that they're louder at all speeds. There's a low frequency rumble. I have to bump the volume up 2 notches at 70mph and I still can't hear the low/mid. frequencies as clearly as before.

I've been running DWS 06 on my 18" aeros for the last 4 months and 2.5k miles. The handling is noticeably better than the MXM4s, even in a low speed maneuver like a lane change. Efficiency didn't go down as much as I'd feared it would. I'm getting 243Wh/mi. now vs. 233Wh/mi. on the MXM4s over 22k miles, although I've been running the heater (typically 55F outside during commute and 72F inside). The negligible degradation is likely because I ran the MXM4s at 39psi to make the ride softer and I'm running the DWS 06 at 42psi. At 42psi, the DWS 06 still has a better/softer ride than the MXM4s. My main complaint and the reason I won't get the DWS 06 again is that they're louder at all speeds. There's a low frequency rumble. I have to bump the volume up 2 notches at 70mph and I still can't hear the low/mid. frequencies as clearly as before.

Thank you for this review. Very informative.

I haven't received my LR AWD M3 yet (@6 weeks from order date), but am looking at getting aftermarket wheels & tires from the start. Playing around with some configurations... 265/35/R19 x 9.5 , 265/30/R20 x 9.0 , or maybe staggered.

so DWS06s: handle better, softer ride, slight (~4%) reduced range, louder. The loudness does concern me.... possibly due to the tread pattern, or higher psi? I know that the Michelin Primacys have been rated as one of the quieter tires on the market.

Has your research led you toward any other tires? I'm curious if the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (DW, no 'S'now) are noticeably quieter. Have you looked at the Pirelli Cinturato Strada Sport?

I replaced my Pirellis last year with the Michelins. They are both phenomenal tires (high performance all seasons is the sweet spot for tires). Both are great in snow and ice. The difference is largely in feel. The Pirellis just feel better. They have more comfort, quieter, and get better mileage. The Michelins by contrast are all business. They have more grip and a more progressive breakaway at the limit.

These differences of course are all quite minimal. I love both. But I do have a slight preference for the Pirelli.

Also, the Michelin is noticeably wider. With same size tires, the Pirelli looked slightly stretched, while the Michelin looks square.

I replaced my Pirellis last year with the Michelins. They are both phenomenal tires (high performance all seasons is the sweet spot for tires). Both are great in snow and ice. The difference is largely in feel. The Pirellis just feel better. They have more comfort, quieter, and get better mileage. The Michelins by contrast are all business. They have more grip and a more progressive breakaway at the limit.

These differences of course are all quite minimal. I love both. But I do have a slight preference for the Pirelli.

Also, the Michelin is noticeably wider. With same size tires, the Pirelli looked slightly stretched, while the Michelin looks square.

which Pirelli’s are those? Model and size?

Fred

Even better if you don't need winter capability is of course the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which is probably the best street tire you can put on a vehicle. But it's pricey. So that's probably out of your budget.

I just priced these out today at Costco. $885 plus tax, including installation and disposal fees. The MXM4’s were about $200 more expensive.

Reactions: dfwatt
I know there are a bunch of threads along the lines of tires but none really help me a whole lot.

I’m at 32k miles and I think I’ll be hitting treadbars on fronts and backs at around 35-36k on my oem tires.

OEM tires are really expensive and I’m not all that amazed by them.
I am looking at two tires to replace with
1. Continental Pro Contact Sport A/S
2. Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus

Both are about $750 after taxes and installed

Does anybody have experience with either of these? Reason I should avoid one?
Sigh. 18’s are so much cheaper.. Have you considered DWS06 or Michelin AS3+?

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Thank you for this review. Very informative.

I haven't received my LR AWD M3 yet (@6 weeks from order date), but am looking at getting aftermarket wheels & tires from the start. Playing around with some configurations... 265/35/R19 x 9.5 , 265/30/R20 x 9.0 , or maybe staggered.

so DWS06s: handle better, softer ride, slight (~4%) reduced range, louder. The loudness does concern me.... possibly due to the tread pattern, or higher psi? I know that the Michelin Primacys have been rated as one of the quieter tires on the market.

Has your research led you toward any other tires? I'm curious if the Continental Extreme Contact Sport (DW, no 'S'now) are noticeably quieter. Have you looked at the Pirelli Cinturato Strada Sport?
I have those conti, just as loud as ps4s which are louder than stock mxm4

Thanks, I definitely prefer the squared look, if not slightly bubbled (for better rim protection). I'll likely be running 19x9.5 wheels (or maybe 9.0), so it seems other brands get the nod over Pirelli then. tho Pirelli have much higher rated treadwear. ugh.

I wont need any kind of snow / cold weather tire, so looking at max performance / summer tires. The Michelins pilots are pricey, so i'm leaning toward the Continental extreme contact sport (both rated top in class).

The deciding factors will probably be noise and range (i.e. rolling resistance)... both of which are difficult to accurately measure. From what I've gathered, tires with less aggressive and more asymmetrical tread patterns will do better for both.

I just priced these out today at Costco. $885 plus tax, including installation and disposal fees. The MXM4’s were about $200 more expensive.

One Costco technician mentioned a cheaper Michelin option by going with the 18” pilot sport 3+ a/s. $776 installed, $833 total with tax. But, this requires dropping a speed rating to V.

Does anyone happen to know if there are significant downsides or safety concerns of V speed rating (vs W)? This would be for ordinary SoCal commuting (18” LR RWD).

One Costco technician mentioned a cheaper Michelin option by going with the 18” pilot sport 3+ a/s. $776 installed, $833 total with tax. But, this requires dropping a speed rating to V.

Does anyone happen to know if there are significant downsides or safety concerns of V speed rating (vs W)? This would be for ordinary SoCal commuting (18” LR RWD).
Unless you’re cruising at over 149mph I don’t see a problem. Just make sure they’re XL rated...

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110
Sigh. 18’s are so much cheaper.. Have you considered DWS06 or Michelin AS3+?
I ruled out the DWS06 because I heard to much about how loud they are. The AS3+ is 4 pounds heavier and has a much lower speed rating (Compared to the Pirelli All-Seasons) I realize these are just specs but there is nothing, on paper, the AS3+ does better than Pirelli's new all-season. Let alone warrant a higher cost. I am not loyal to any particular tire brand. I just want a great tire I won't need to swap out for another 40-50k more miles.

Had the DWS06 on a non-Tesla recently and they got loud after about 5k miles. Tried rotating - no difference. No unusual wear.

I wish there was a clear winner for being the lowest noise. tire noise on the 3 is really bad with stock tires. anything that improves it is what I plan to go for, when its tire buying time for me. I could not care less about top speed, I JUST want the lowest noise tire I can get, even at the sake of range. noise is brutal on my commute (road is not helping, but I need a road friendly low noise tire).