Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for repairs have made Tesla a laughing stock in my family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took me months to get an appointment after my car was hit when someone changed lanes into me. But the damage wasn't bad so I was fortunate parts were not needed. It was only in 5 days for the actual repair.

But I don't see this as an issue with the Model 3 since it's not aluminum so you won't have to go to an approved and specialized body shop and parts should be much more plentiful unlike the Model S/X.

Hang in there @artsci . I always enjoy reading your posts and we need to keep you around for the Model 3. If my family ridiculed me over it, I'd just say that there's no going back to the old horse & buggy when you've moved on to the future, and ridicule back. That's no excuse for Tesla but for me the baby is worth keeping even though we seem to get a lot of bad bathwater along with it.

Hopefully, the diminished value / accelerated depreciation settlement funds will cheer you up a bit.

I want to be a Tesla "lifer" but they have to earn my business.

I have a soft spot for Tesla because of their mission to bring EVs to the masses, but at heart I'm a consumer whore who can be bought by any company that offers me something better than Tesla, which must include a fast charging network. I just don't see it happening anytime soon though, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
The day I have to wait 3+ months for a repair on my car is the day I sell my car and move on.

Well then you're probably best to sell now. Otherwise, you will have to sell it while it is in for repairs and that's tough to do. I guess you could wait until you get it back, but then what's the point? You have it back, undamaged, just like you have your car now. So it only makes sense to sell now. ;)

What I really can’t comprehend is, as long as the MS has been around, they still haven’t been able to have enough spare parts to cover repairs. It’s good business sense to have more parts than you thought you needed. Reports of people waiting for several months to have their car fixed had been posted for quite sometimes.

My guess is they either don’t have enough manufacturing capacity to make body parts or they just concentrate on building new cars to try to meet their quotas. Either way, it’s not good for either Tesla or their loyal customers.

My guess is they either don’t have enough manufacturing capacity to make body parts or they just concentrate on building new cars to try to meet their quotas.

It's probably a combination of the two plus add into that "approved" shops are fewer and backlogged in some places even with available parts.

Either way, it’s not good for either Tesla or their loyal customers.

Yes, and potential customers too. But I think the Model 3 is being built much simpler with far less variation in much higher capacity and no requirement for specialized repair shops. The front end of a Tesla S has pre-AP parking sensor, then parking sensors, then AP1.0, then facelift, then facelift AP2.0, -- that's a lot of different parts for one of the most common areas to be hit -- but that's no excuse.

It's probably a combination of the two plus add into that "approved" shops are fewer and backlogged in some places even with available parts.

Yes, and potential customers too. But I think the Model 3 is being built much simpler with far less variation in much higher capacity and no requirement for specialized repair shops. The front end of a Tesla S has pre-AP parking sensor, then parking sensors, then AP1.0, then facelift, then facelift AP2.0, -- that's a lot of different parts for one of the most common areas to be hit -- but that's no excuse.

I think Tesla thought by now all the vehicles would be self driving and talk to each other which equals no accidents :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Lodo1000
@JonMc

The whole thing is a shambles and an embarrassment.

I live in the the UK, have yet to even receive my model S, and am already terrified at the prospect of ever dinging my car or being involved in an accident.

What consequences does this have on the insurance we pay? How long is it going to take before insurance underwriters notice that Tesla claims are massively inflated due to loaners being required for months on end, wrong parts being sent causing delays etc.

I absolutely love Tesla, Elon and everything they stand for but they need to sort this out. I really, really hope they do. And fast. Once battery range increases significantly, thereby reducing Tesla’s advantage of having a fast charging network, other manufacturers are going to catch up pretty quick.

@artsci I really hope it gets resolved for you soon. It would be a nice gesture for senior management to get involved and ensure your situation is resolved as quickly as possible.

Reactions: GreenT and David99
Always so sad to see threads like this. Tesla and the bodyshops really need to step up their game. I know they can do it, because I've had fast repairs, but it seems like that is the minority. Got rear ended and bodyshop got parts from Tesla quickly, and had other required parts in stock. Repair took 2 days (most of that was paint drying/baking? time). Windshield was replaced same day on drop in (no appointment, and had them in stock at service center, and they called mobile glass guy to do install).

Once battery range increases significantly, thereby reducing Tesla’s advantage of having a fast charging network, other manufacturers are going to catch up pretty quick.

There's no skipping fast charging like you think, at least in my view. If you travel, you know you often require multiple fill ups during a day of travel. Do you really expect batteries to become even more dense with energy than gas so no fill ups are needed? That won't happen anytime soon -- or even within our lifetimes. Charging will get faster, and batteries will charge to higher capacity, but fast charger banks will be needed for the foreseeable future and beyond, at least in my view. In fact, destination chargers will be less frequent if i can get a fast charge in 5 minutes -- but I need a place to get that fast charge. We need more fast chargers from other automobile companies -- not excuses for them to build none at all.

Always so sad to see threads like this. Tesla and the bodyshops really need to step up their game. I know they can do it, because I've had fast repairs, but it seems like that is the minority. Got rear ended and bodyshop got parts from Tesla quickly, and had other required parts in stock. Repair took 2 days (most of that was paint drying/baking? time). Windshield was replaced same day on drop in (no appointment, and had them in stock at service center, and they called mobile glass guy to do install).

There's a lot more people like you out there but few people come to the internet to post "no problems". Again, no excuse for Tesla, since I had to wait too for repairs but just offering some other perspective.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like body shop and your specific damage led to sub standard repair times. My car has been in two relatively minor accidents and both times repairs were les then two weeks from accident with car in shop less then a week. Tesla isn’t perfect but as I’m set to return my Kia rental car and pick up my Tesla I find myself feeling gratitude for the amazing car Tesla has created. Come on folks we are driving cars on cel phone batteries that can almost drive themselves. (see Louis CK bit on flying and life being amazing). Tesla is the cutting edge.

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
There's no skipping fast charging like you think, at least in my view. If you travel, you know you often require multiple fill ups during a day of travel. Do you really expect batteries to become even more dense with energy than gas so no fill ups are needed? That won't happen anytime soon -- or even within our lifetimes. Charging will get faster, and batteries will charge to higher capacity, but fast charger banks will be needed for the foreseeable future and beyond, at least in my view. In fact, destination chargers will be less frequent if i can get a fast charge in 5 minutes -- but I need a place to get that fast charge. We need more fast chargers from other automobile companies -- not excuses for them to build none at all.

You seem to have misunderstood what I wrote. As battery capacity advances, fewer people will need to charge on the majority of journeys, instead choosing to charge at home, thereby reducing Tesla’s advantage of having the supercharger network.

And I fundamentally disagree with your statement regarding battery capacity: there will absolutely and undoubtedly be massive battery advances within our lifetime as more and more R&D money is invested by all the big manufacturers.

You seem to have misunderstood what I wrote. As battery capacity advances, fewer people will need to charge on the majority of journeys, instead choosing to charge at home, thereby reducing Tesla’s advantage of having the supercharger network.

And I fundamentally disagree with your statement regarding battery capacity: there will absolutely and undoubtedly be massive battery advances within our lifetime as more and more R&D money is invested by all the big manufacturers.

I believe you’ll find, if you do the math, that there will be no reduction in demand/utilization for SCs for a good long while. And by good long while, I mean up to and beyond 600-mile *median* rated range.

Remember as well that while 70% of US homes have garages, that number inverts in urban/suburban areas.

Reactions: Canuck
I believe you’ll find, if you do the math, that there will be no reduction in demand/utilization for SCs for a good long while. And by good long while, I mean up to and beyond 600-mile *median* rated range.

Remember as well that while 70% of US homes have garages, that number inverts in urban/suburban areas.

Let’s just agree to disagree so we don’t hijack this thread :)

The worst part about this is that the Model S has been out for nearly 5 years and there is still a shortage of parts. Model 3 won't do any better when it finally launches for mass ev adopters.

In the Tesla world, we have this thing called model-weeks instead of model-years. It shows.

It doesn't help that Model S has been out for 5 years, when those 5 years have been splintered into dozens and dozens of incompatible variations.

But I think the Model 3 is being built much simpler with far less variation

Wouldn't that require a philosophy change, though? Tesla's lets change things many times each quarter is generating a massive amount of variance even amongst simple products. If that continues, the amount of variance in a Model 3 is quickly much more.

All companies update parts throughout the year, of course, but most do it in a compatible manner - and larger changes spaced out over model-years and facelifts after several years. Tesla changes things in an incompatible manner all the time.

This is really hard and discouraging to read, @artsci has been one of Tesla's staunchest and enthusiastic supporters for many years and his contributions to the community are many. We cannot lose people like him.

You won’t loose me. In spite of what I’ve gone through in this repair experience I’m still an enthusiast, but my seeing what gone through my family thinks I’m crazy to put up with it.

Reactions: masamitsu
It took me months to get an appointment after my car was hit when someone changed lanes into me. But the damage wasn't bad so I was fortunate parts were not needed. It was only in 5 days for the actual repair.

My son scraped a light post hard enough the door could not be opened, required only some trim parts, a mirror assy, body work on fender and door, repainting to match (special metalflake). Parking lot accident with light pole in reverse while turning.
We dropped the car off at 7am Tuesday, and picked it up 4pm Thursday. It was done that morning, but couldn't pick it up.
It was $1080 paid out of pocket to avoid insurance charges. The mirror assy was not cheap. It was a typical brand of car made in the same quantities each year as Model S cars.

This is NORMAL for modern cars and has been for awhile.

So when I hear "only 5 days" for minor body work, or it takes days/weeks/months to get a windshield, I cannot understand it.
I call for a windshield at 8am and they come to my office and it's done by 5pm.

The Model S/X is not a first year car. They are not hand-built exotics with 3 dealers in the USA.

For those with a harem of cars, it's not a problem. But for typical folk this is a very serious issue that should have been addressed 4 years ago.

Reactions: McHoffa and David29