Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for Tesla to Show Some Proof for the Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s solar business got some shine last week when the company reported an increase in deployments and the launch of a new version of its solar roof. “So all in all, the roadmap for energy products from solar, Solar Roof, Powerwall to Megapack is super exciting, and I expect Tesla Energy to become a larger...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/10/31/time-for-tesla-to-show-some-proof-for-the-roof/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Good article.

I would add the timeline for installations. Per the Tesla Solar Roof FAQ:

We are first installing Solar Roof in the US and then will expand internationally. Below is when you can expect Solar Roof to come to your state.

November 2019
  • Installs in California commence
December 2019
  • Expansion to Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Hawaii and Florida
  • Expansion to additional states
Tesla will coordinate the entire Solar Roof process, including initial design, removal of your current roof, installation of your new Solar Roof, permitting and ongoing support.

Reactions: jboy210
Oh - boy
A "Musk" time line ..... let me get my check book ....
i wonder . . . which time lune will be shorter ... the start of 'real' autopilot' 1st discussed nearly 3yrs ago (yet AP2 was not even REMOTELY on par w/AP1 - when it was released in 2016)? ... or the length of time it took for the SC to admit our ½shaft shudder was not normal .... vs the time to actually get it fixed.
pass.
:rolleyes:

Good article.

I would add the timeline for installations. Per the Tesla Solar Roof FAQ:

Have to say that we currently have a leased 10 KW Solar City/Tesla system from 2015.
Hopefully upon the next hail storm, if our house loses our roof (we are overdue; we have lost 2 over the last 10 years),
we will try to switch to Tesla roof.
Seems to be the smart way to go.
If not, then a metal roof with the panels.

I had to have a new roof installed last summer. I also signed up with Tesla for solar panels and powerwall. I wanted to wait for the solar roof but a tree in front of my house had different ideas. It fell on my 26yo roof and punched half a dozen holes in it. I had to move to get the roof done and the panels are getting done next week.

I just priced the solar roof and it came out to 10k over the job with the panels and the power wall. The amount of energy estimated for the solar roof comes out to 2.3x my estimated annual production for the panels I'm getting. The powerwall is 3x what I'm getting so it's a much better system than what I am getting done and I think it's probably worth it for the quality and the wider margin of usage.

I really wish I could have waited. Same feeling I get with the model S I've already bought and the model 3. If I waited for my 4yo model S I could have gotten 370 miles range instead of 270 at the same price and If I had waited for my 1yo model 3 I could have paid 10k less for the same config. Of course on the mod3 it was just my own impetuousness that forced my move as I really didn't need the second Tesla.

Elon is always a day late and leaving me a dollar short.

I had to have a new roof installed last summer. I also signed up with Tesla for solar panels and powerwall. I wanted to wait for the solar roof but a tree in front of my house had different ideas. It fell on my 26yo roof and punched half a dozen holes in it. I had to move to get the roof done and the panels are getting done next week.

I just priced the solar roof and it came out to 10k over the job with the panels and the power wall. The amount of energy estimated for the solar roof comes out to 2.3x my estimated annual production for the panels I'm getting. The powerwall is 3x what I'm getting so it's a much better system than what I am getting done and I think it's probably worth it for the quality and the wider margin of usage.

I really wish I could have waited. Same feeling I get with the model S I've already bought and the model 3. If I waited for my 4yo model S I could have gotten 370 miles range instead of 270 at the same price and If I had waited for my 1yo model 3 I could have paid 10k less for the same config. Of course on the mod3 it was just my own impetuousness that forced my move as I really didn't need the second Tesla.

Elon is always a day late and leaving me a dollar short.

Maybe learn from your mistakes and just keep waiting for the next greatest thing. Unfortunately, that results in you having nothing as the pace of innovation is rapid and relentless.

Reactions: Compton
This summer I got a quote for a Tesla Solar Roof. They said is was supposed to be the V3 tiles. The quote was around $165K for around 8 kw of power and 2 Powerwalls. My roof is over 4000 sqft with many different roof planes, but still. The 8kw was less than half of the project use for my house. I don't know what happened between last summer and this fall, but I'm glad the price was so out of whack that I couldn't even entertain the idea of "going for it." Now I had my roof replaced and standard panels on the way (not Tesla.) I why the cost was sooo high.

This summer I got a quote for a Tesla Solar Roof. They said is was supposed to be the V3 tiles. The quote was around $165K for around 8 kw of power and 2 Powerwalls. My roof is over 4000 sqft with many different roof planes, but still. The 8kw was less than half of the project use for my house. I don't know what happened between last summer and this fall, but I'm glad the price was so out of whack that I couldn't even entertain the idea of "going for it." Now I had my roof replaced and standard panels on the way (not Tesla.) I why the cost was sooo high.

8 kW? That's it? Tesla's site is currently listing the default installation as 10 to 15 kW depending on what address I put in. It might be worth getting a fresh quote from Tesla.