TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time to close Tesla Model X Falcon Wing door: 5-6 secs

Discussion in 'Model X' started by scottf200, Oct 1, 2015.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#1 scottf200, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    A video for you folks to spread around when people are complaining about the time it takes for the doors to close. I read 10+ seconds.

Title: Time to close Tesla Model X Falcon Wing door: 5-6 secs
    Link: youtu.be/JqNwJQ_2A4Q

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

#2 3s-a-charm, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Plus you can drive away while they are closing.

I was surprised to find out by accident I can drive off in my Model S with the trunk hatch open. Normally in an ICE I can hear the exhaust but with the S I had no idea until I was already driving.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Never owned a minivan so don't know how fast those auto-closing doors go, but this seems reasonable. Granted, it's still much longer than it would take to simply close a normal door by hand, but for the FWD, it's acceptable. Any faster than say 4 seconds would be dangerous IMO

4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

It's comparable to any minivan with auto opening and closing doors which they all have now. If anything it's a bit faster depending on which model of minivan you own.

Jeff

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Though, seems to me if you start driving while a sliding door is closing, the risk of whacking something is low.

6. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

It is apparently a function of possible obstacles. For instance, during the presentation when the Model X was parked between two other SUVs, the opening time was roughly 18 seconds. The closing time was about 15 seconds. Without obstacles, the opening was about 6 seconds, and the closing time was about 6.5 seconds. The minivan's door closed in about 5-6 seconds.

7. Rob Fairman

Rob Fairman Member

8. Iowa92x

Iowa92x Member

A regular door takes .19 seconds.

9. hawaiikaiguy

hawaiikaiguy Member

Things I noticed from this video:
    1) VIN was 84 -- meaning there are at least 78 more production Model X videos beyond the five plus Elon's that were delivered 9/29. Of those, many are test/demo cars presumably, but surely some must be going out for delivery soon.
    2) The car software doesn't have Flash 10.1 or above :)

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

It takes a while to close in that case, too, even though the guy isn't all that close. My guess is that best case full clearance it'll be 5-6 seconds. Most realistic cases it'll take longer, up to the 15-18 seconds in the "tight spaces" demo on stage. In my tight garage, I would expect in that latter range, which isn't trivial but not a solitary deal-killer.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

12. MX458Dave

MX458Dave Member

That video from cnet is great. It shows the black and white in much better light. The white is growing on me again. In pictures it all blends together and looks bland, but in person and video, you can see some awesome design lines. I am also leaning towards losing the middle seat. The footroom is not there for an adult, and it allows long stuff to slide in if one back row seat is down. That would mean 5 adults, loads of stuff including skis inside the vehicle.

13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

A horse takes 0.0 seconds. Your point?

14. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

#14 Oyvind.H, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    I would say closing a regular door takes about a second. The same for opening. So fwd doors takes about 5-6 times longer, if no obstacle is detected.

However, it`s not closing the door that I fear will annoy me (fear, but do not know!). It`s the slow opening. In regular cars i would be in the process of buckling seat belt before the FWD has opened.... The solution for me is the ability to remotely open the fwd from the key.

15. flar

flar Member

With respect to the opening speed when there are obstacles, it takes me quite a number of seconds to open and navigate out of a regular door when there is an obstacle nearby (unless I'm in a rental. ;)) and it is effort intensive.

With a Falcon Wind Door, I'd just press a button, let the car do the careful dirty work, gather my stuff while I wait, and then step out with my stuff in both hands if need be.

Regular doors, though, don't have to deal with obstructions (usually) when closing. On the other hand, closing usually happens as you walk away and so you aren't delayed, and if they are closing while you are getting ready to drive away, most of the time would be absorbed in getting seat belts fastened and checking the surroundings before moving off.

16. moemoke

moemoke Member

What happens in the real world when a child runs up to a model X as the fwings are closing? Are there sensors that
    will stop the door or does the child hit!

17. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

In tight spots the FWD will be amazing when putting children in their seats. As long as there`s ample room above the car.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

In PEV owner terms, the falcon wing doors might take however long it takes to press the button. Because the question is "How much extra time will it take for you to enter and drive off, or to exit and walk away? That would depend on how you use the vehicle.

19. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I saw a post yesterday saying that there were capacitance sensors on the inside that would prevent it from closing on anyone. Not a lot of details so far.

20. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I hope it's more than that, cold weather clothing and rain could throw that off super easily.