Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timing of Federal Rebate: On order or receipt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Quick question here.

My M3 is set to be delivered on Jan 2018.

That means, I'll most likely put in the order Q4 2017.

Does that mean I will qualify on my taxes, for the rebate for fiscal year 2017 or will it be 2018? That difference of 1-2 months means a difference of 1 year on the $7,500!

Errgggh! Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I hope this is helpful for others.

I was hoping for us to use it for 2017 because those in the same boat will have put down $3,500 already.

$1,000 for preorder.
$2,500 to start the official process.

Guys, you can increase your withholding during the year to claw back the $7500 or $3750 and get less refund when you file your tax.
I think you meant DECREASE your withholding in anticipation of a tax credit. I know many folks like to get a refund at tax time, but I don't see any reason to give Uncle Sam a tax free loan and always seek to withhold at about 95% of what I anticipate owing.... YMMV

There are two timing points:
- The tax year is based on the date you "put the car into service". So, once you have it and are driving it, the tax year is set.
- You can claim the credit once you become the owner by state law. That'll be the Title issue date. (Not when it arrives, but when the state has issued the title).

So, normally you'd claim the credit when you file, but _theoretically_ a long delay in the title issue could force you to file an amended return to claim the credit.

I think you meant DECREASE your withholding in anticipation of a tax credit. I know many folks like to get a refund at tax time, but I don't see any reason to give Uncle Sam a tax free loan and always seek to withhold at about 95% of what I anticipate owing.... YMMV
Yes, you decrease the withholding but you increase the number of allowance on the W4 form. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. There will be implication to your state tax due to higher allowance, consult with your tax guy.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon

That's similar to what we did when we took delivery of our Tesla in July 2015. Since our income is primarily 1099 and K-1 we simply reduced our estimated Federal income tax payments by $7,500. EASY... and eliminated waiting until March 2016 to apply our $7,500 credit to our 2015 tax return.