Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timing of when to receive updates based on how often the car is used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you should sell the car since you bought a "half car".

The factory firmware is the "most recent stable built" hence why your car and the new model 3 I picked on August 9th shipped with it. You will receive updates soon, when I picked up my long range model Y in May of this (built in April), I received update 2021.4.18 which enabled lane departure warning. Last week I received 2021.4.21.3 which further improves lane departure warning and affords me to have a minimum following distance of 2.

Now, back to the model 3 that I picked up on August 9th which came with 2021.3.106. This version has object obstacle avoidance enable by default and it has a minimum following distance of 3 which you can use the right scroll wheel to change said number up to 7. I would suggest you spend some times reading the manual.

Your car the following driver assistance features enabled with firmware version 2021.3.106
1 - Lane departure (You can have the car assist or beep)
2 - Autopilot or TACC following distance has a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7
3 - Obstacle avoidance is also enabled by default.
I do not agree with the suggestion to sell the car because I would have to disclose what I know what isn't working the way it was advertised.

I do agree however on your assessment that I should have certain driver assistance features but my point is that I don't have them.

Lane departure warning doesn't work at all.
No option to set the distance to car in front.
Obstacle avoidance is enabled in settings but I don't dare to test if it actually works.

Well, I have a house call with Tesla mobile service on Friday.
Maybe I actually get some information out of that.

Also, im going to put the mod hat on for a second even though this isnt my section. There are some recent posts in this thread that are really not appropriate in that they are "very" close to personal attacks, which are not allowed here on TMC.

Disagreement IS allowed, personal attacks are not, nor is making fun of someone, etc. I dont think the posts have risen quite to the level of me needing to ping a mod for this particular subforum to do something with them, but I am making a reminder to not ridicule or attack a person. If you disagree with the how people communicate their displeasure with the update process, thats fine, but do it respectfully.

@CyberGuard this isnt directed at you, btw. I do understand your frustration. I will say what you are dealing with as a response, is because dozens and dozens of people post daily about this particular topic so there is some blowback there, especially since the answers (that you basically have to wait) have been repeatedly posted.

So, you are catching a bit of blowback there, but some of it is out of bounds. I am posting this as a mod to warn others about that behavior and hopefully return to discussing the issue vs attacking a person.

I do not agree with the suggestion to sell the car because I would have to disclose what I know what isn't working the way it was advertised.

I do agree however on your assessment that I should have certain driver assistance features but my point is that I don't have them.

Obstacle avoidance is enabled in settings but I don't dare to test if it actually works.

May I ask how you're trying to set "the distance to car in front"?

Also, incase you haven't already. You can find all the Information you're looking for here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

TACC and Autopilot informations are on page 82 and beyond.

• Helpful
Reactions: CyberGuard
Thank you @with_raiden for posting a link to the owners manual.

I have studied that document and I hold an extra degree in "how to search a PDF for ,,,,"

So yes, I was aware of that.
As with the lane departure warning that isn't working I just have to buy my time until the Tesla guy gets here on Friday.
Hopefully I get some answers then.

Well, if Tesla is concerned about their servers being hammered with over the air updates maybe they should allow offline updates

Tesla isn't concerned about their servers being hammered, because they stagger updates rather than letting everyone download them at once. Apple makes updates available to everyone at the same time (more or less), but they don't support offline updates either (for consumers, not developers).

Tesla isn't concerned about their servers being hammered, because they stagger updates rather than letting everyone download them at once. Apple makes updates available to everyone at the same time (more or less), but they don't support offline updates either (for consumers, not developers).
Several other people here said that Tesla is concerned about their servers being hammered. I merely said if that is the case ...

So apple doesn't support offline updates but google does.

Most of this country's critical IT infrastructure gets their updates OFFLINE - and there is a really good reason for that.

So I am not sure what it is that drives people up the wall when someone asks a simple question.

So apple doesn't support offline updates but google does.

Most of this country's critical IT infrastructure gets their updates OFFLINE - and there is a really good reason for that.
What kind of offline updates does Google provide? Earlier you used offline updates to mean downloading the update to a USB (for example) and then installing it from there.

In any case, whether you install the update via Tesla’s infrastructure or download it and install it manually, you’re still downloading the update from a server, so how does that help the Tesla servers?

Thank you @with_raiden for posting a link to the owners manual.

I have studied that document and I hold an extra degree in "how to search a PDF for ,,,,"

So yes, I was aware of that.
As with the lane departure warning that isn't working I just have to buy my time until the Tesla guy gets here on Friday.
Hopefully I get some answers then.
any update on this ? from the Mobile service?