Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All -

I just recently tinted my car from the front two windows back with Marathon - Automotive | Johnson Window Films They told me to go with 30% because of the White Interior. I am glad I went with the 30% because I think 35% may have turned out too light. My car is Jet Black exterior.

One issue that came up is the front windows don't exactly match the back at some viewing angles. The back windows are darker. The installer brought it up right when I was noticing it. He explained the reason the back is a littler darker is due to the fact I didn't tint the front windshield. They never brought it up when I talked to them in the beginning. I guess it does make sense that the front would be brining in more light and because of the white trim along the dash therefore the front windows are a lighter than the back. I just want the window to match perfectly.

Questions:

• Has any fellow OCD TESLA owners come across the same issue?
  • Did tinting the front windshield help and if so, what percentage tint?
  • Did this negatively impact visibility?

Thanks,

Mark

posting pictures might help

I have white on white and tinting darker than you want is a must. I went from 30% side windows and opted to have it redone at 15%.
Now the windshield is a different beast. I went with 70% 3M crystalline and wish I went darker. I honestly don't believe the white trim/dash has any effect. The fact is the windshield is much larger and extends much lower than any other car which allows a ton more light in.

If I could redo the windshield, I would do 50% but the most popular I've seen around the forums and in person are 70% 3m cryst and llumar air 80%.

Hi All -

I just recently tinted my car from the front two windows back with Marathon - Automotive | Johnson Window Films They told me to go with 30% because of the White Interior. I am glad I went with the 30% because I think 35% may have turned out too light. My car is Jet Black exterior.

One issue that came up is the front windows don't exactly match the back at some viewing angles. The back windows are darker. The installer brought it up right when I was noticing it. He explained the reason the back is a littler darker is due to the fact I didn't tint the front windshield. They never brought it up when I talked to them in the beginning. I guess it does make sense that the front would be brining in more light and because of the white trim along the dash therefore the front windows are a lighter than the back. I just want the window to match perfectly.

Questions:

• Has any fellow OCD TESLA owners come across the same issue?
  • Did tinting the front windshield help and if so, what percentage tint?
  • Did this negatively impact visibility?

Thanks,

Mark

The back windows are typically always darker than the front 2 because you tinted your back window, so less light is coming in the from the back in general versus the front. If you don't tint the back window then your sides will look more uniform since you'll have light coming in from both ends.

You'd have to tint the front windshield relatively dark if you want to make the front windows match the back. For most people (and laws) this really isn't practical.

If you go limo tint (5%) it'll be so dark you probably won't notice the uneven shades :D

Reactions: 03DSG
Here's an idea of what the windows look like if you DON'T tint the back window and the front windshield.

Photosync 35%

56472518_10157443653053338_2000233155272900608_o.jpg

Ok - this all makes sense. Now I am considering just removing the tint on the rear windshield. I wonder what percentage tint on the front windshield would make the side windows match better. From what I have read on here, it's not advisable to got anything below 70%. I'll ask the installer and see what he says. Thanks - guys.

For reference, here is Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint (15% all all 5 windows + 15% on both roof panels + 50% Ceramic on the windshield) I also have the factory Tesla sunshades installed on both the front and rear windshields. I was worried about it being TOO dark, but I'm glad I went with what I did. At night, it's definitely a little on the dark side, but during the day I don't really even need to wear sunglasses unless I'm driving into direct sunlight. it makes a huge huge difference in ambient interior temps during the day.
IMG_0751.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_6931.JPG

For reference, here is Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint (15% all all 5 windows + 15% on both roof panels + 50% Ceramic on the windshield) I also have the factory Tesla sunshades installed on both the front and rear windshields. I was worried about it being TOO dark, but I'm glad I went with what I did. At night, it's definitely a little on the dark side, but during the day I don't really even need to wear sunglasses unless I'm driving into direct sunlight. it makes a huge huge difference in ambient interior temps during the day. View attachment 395120 View attachment 395121 View attachment 395123 View attachment 395129
Wow - that looks amazing! Thanks for the feedback.

I was worried about it being TOO dark, but I'm glad I went with what I did. At night, it's definitely a little on the dark side, but during the day I don't really even need to wear sunglasses unless I'm driving into direct sunlight. it makes a huge huge difference in ambient interior temps during the day.

Your 3 looks awesome !! I got a ticket for tint on the front side windows, so I'm a little gun shy on going that dark. Looks perfect on your car though.

Wow, that looks awesome but if I did this in my state, I would be stopped by every cop until I removed the tint.

I will say that the tint looks a little less dark in real-life, it was pretty overcast when I took the photos, but that being said - around here (SoCal) it's a pretty big car culture area, so the cops don't really bother with window tint and front plate tickets... if they were looking for those violators, they could find a guy in his/her Lambo or Porsche every 60 seconds to ticket.

That’s not an OEM rear spoiler, i like this one better.
Where did you get it?
Thx

I got it on eBay. $149. PM me if you want more info.

For reference, here is Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Window Tint (15% all all 5 windows + 15% on both roof panels + 50% Ceramic on the windshield) I also have the factory Tesla sunshades installed on both the front and rear windshields. I was worried about it being TOO dark, but I'm glad I went with what I did. At night, it's definitely a little on the dark side, but during the day I don't really even need to wear sunglasses unless I'm driving into direct sunlight. it makes a huge huge difference in ambient interior temps during the day. View attachment 395120 View attachment 395121 View attachment 395123 View attachment 395129

This looks amazing but I wouldnt pass the annual inspection here in Texas as its 30% I think. Though it feels like we live on the sun in the summer and this dark tint would help!

Beautiful car.

I will say that the tint looks a little less dark in real-life, it was pretty overcast when I took the photos, but that being said - around here (SoCal) it's a pretty big car culture area, so the cops don't really bother with window tint and front plate tickets... if they were looking for those violators, they could find a guy in his/her Lambo or Porsche every 60 seconds to ticket.

I wanted to compliment you one more time -- I have found myself coming back to this post just to look at your car few times. I think it looks amazing!

Can you guys take a picture of your rear window on the inside? I'm curious how tinters are doing the tint around the 2 heat wiring sensors? There's 1 on each side. Are they tinting over it or cutting around it?