Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinted Windshield Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking at doing the clearest possible 3M Crystalline tint on the windshield for thermal reasons*, but what you've done just seems bonkers to me.

*Didn't end up doing it because I wear polarized sunglasses and I think the rainbow effect would drive me nuts.

Love it.

Mine has 18% with 50% on the windshield.

No issues at night, and I love the heat resistance and privacy.

7A73C154-8CDB-4B2F-A487-0276C3D874A7.jpeg

CBF74DE7-F532-4507-9FE1-BA05E90810CB.jpeg

Last edited:
*Didn't end up doing it because I wear polarized sunglasses and I think the rainbow effect would drive me nuts.
I did Crystalline 70, where Maui Jims and I can't remember the brand for the prescription glasses, both are polarized though.

Rarely notice "rainbow", although close by black vehicles, tires, and black tar on the road looks slightly purple. That might be an effect due to my wrap's color?

On a very clear blue, sunny sky I can see wide bands of color in the sky if I tilt my head to the side. Otherwise I see only maybe part of the sky slightly lighter blue than to the sides. It is pretty noticeable against scattered white clouds though, if you're looking for it, as they are exempt from any shift in the hue and it kinda pops out if you're rotating your head side to side while staring with you eyes locked. I only really see it though when I'm on mind numbing flat, straight, horizon drives. So a little visual spice is probably a good thing.

No "rainbow" on went roads, or anything. Which is a little out of character for the Maui Jims, there might actually be a little cancelation there?

Did you try out sitting in a vehicle with the film you were looking at using? Driving around in it in a few different conditions?

Last edited:
Wish I could get away with tinting the windshield in Texas...but DPS down here has zero sense of humor.
Yeah, I doubt I'd be able to keep a film like that for the month without a ginned up medical exemption, and I'm not doing that. :p Plus I wouldn't want to drive with it, anyway. I went lighter on the sides for night visibly, as it is.

I went Crystalline 70 all the way around, and happy with that. Legit film is actually still really good for heat blocking. Spectra Photosync 75 is even a bit better yet.

I need an exemption.

Everyone can get one. Plenty of doctors will write you one for a tip under the table. Might be able to ask the original poster.

Similar example: My officemate paid a out of state doc off to write her a note for support animal for less than it would cost in fees to fly her cat on the plane round trip. Now she can fly that cat for free for the rest of that cats life. What a way to raise kids now. No wonder society is shot.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I keep reading this and just shake my head. What medical exemption required you to have dark tint on your windshield? It’s like all those people with pencil whipped Handicap hang tags....and they get out and dance and jog to the store from their front parking space.

Ski

I keep reading this and just shake my head. What medical exemption required you to have dark tint on your windshield? It’s like all those people with pencil whipped Handicap hang tags....and they get out and dance and jog to the store from their front parking space.

Ski

Maybe their handicap requires them to dance and jog everywhere. That'd be exhausting, you'd want to park close.