Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting 2016 MS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently inquired a local business to tiny my brand new 2016 MS that should be here late may. Here is the quote that gave me... 1500 plus tax? is that a good deal or no?

Prestige Spectra PhotoSync Tint

Here's your quote:
- sides and rear $750+tax
- windshield $395+tax
- panoramic roof $350+tax

You don't need the pano roof or windshield tinted.
The cost/benefit of photosync doesn't justify it, in my opinion. I had 3M Crystalline 70 done on the sides and rear for about $550. I'm very happy with it, and the sun is a lot hotter here in Texas than in California. I didn't want the "tinted look", just great heat rejection, which is what 3M Crystalline gives.

I recently inquired a local business to tiny my brand new 2016 MS that should be here late may. Here is the quote that gave me... 1500 plus tax? is that a good deal or no?

Prestige Spectra PhotoSync Tint

Here's your quote:
- sides and rear $750+tax
- windshield $395+tax
- panoramic roof $350+tax

Uhhh, I did the 35 tint on both Model S' and it was 450 for ceramic tint on every glass surface except the windshield and sunroof. So, all the door windows, corners, and rear hatch. I can't think of a reason why good quality tint would be three times more than that. Someone enlighten me as to what exactly are the benefits to a $1500 tint job.

Uhhh, I did the 35 tint on both Model S' and it was 450 for ceramic tint on every glass surface except the windshield and sunroof. So, all the door windows, corners, and rear hatch. I can't think of a reason why good quality tint would be three times more than that. Someone enlighten me as to what exactly are the benefits to a $1500 tint job.
I agree! If its a lot better then of course ill pay 1,500 to tint a 100k car. I just want to make sure they are not trying to screw me over. I know the specific tint they quoted me is the best stuff just wondering why....

They are definitely trying to screw you over. This job should be well south of 800, even with top tier film and professional inatall. Try closer to 650-700 if you insist on doing the Pano, which doesn't need it. I believe I paid $600 to do my entire 2015 85D (sans the Pano and windshield) with Huper Optik Ceramic, which is a better film than PS or 3M Crystaline IMO.

my quote was about $1300 for PS, pano not included. I don't think your quote was that far off. Just take a few minutes and call a few other authorized installers and you'll find out pretty fast if they are taking you for a ride. Regarding PS vs other tints: tough to wade through the marketing BS, but the general consensus is that ceramic based tints are far superior to any other tint.

That's pretty much what Photosync will cost, yep. Offer cash and see if you can at least save the sales tax.

And the windshield is definitely worth getting done with Photosync 75. The heat reduction (50%) is nice, but the glare reduction is particularly noticeable.

I regret not getting the front pano panel done, but there's time yet before travel starts again next month. My low-tech solution is a baseball cap.

Yes, windshield tint is subject to laws in your particular geopolitical designation.

Yes, paying cash shouldn't matter, and yet go figure, sometimes it does.

Yes, there are pano screens (see Tesla Accessories at the TM site); sadly, they don't work worth a tinker's damn except perhaps as a bug deterrent.

And finally, if you search for this subject, you'll find more than a few points of reference from numerous states.

Added: Oh, and the reason it's worth considering the high end films is because you get superior performance with a lighter tint. That's why the majority of Teslas that have Photosync will have 35, else 45. With 75 on the windshield for those that get the windshield done since it is just about invisible.