Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting and issues with overhead glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting some tinting for preparing to the Texas summer. Have talked to a few "Tesla" expert tinting places and gotten different opinions. Here are my questions. 1. have been told tinting glass over driver (moon glass) will cause it to crack. 2. Also told that tinting only back window looks funny if you don't do the over head glass. 3. Related to #2, was considering just getting a heat barrier tint that is clear for over head glass. Opinions, thoughts, experiences? Also, one place told me they had to take parts of car apart (like side columns) to tint side and back windows in order to protect electronics. Sounds odd.

I live in Southern California, and where I live it gets up to 100-110 during the summer. I have had my car for 2 summers so far, and I have all the glass tinted (including the back window, top glass and windshield, as well as the rest of it).

I have not had any issues with the "glass roof" being tinted, but I have heard people say that here. Havent experienced it myself though, everything has been fine here.

Are there really issues with having the glass over the driver tinted? Surely it wouldn't damage the roof.

I have heard that said before, but not seen any proof of any issues. Like most tint install things however, its likely important it be installed properly.

For example, I have also read here of people getting their windshield tinted, and the installer using too much water and having that go behind the dashboard and cause some computer issue. I have my windshield tinted (3m crystalline, 70%) and went to a long standing shop that has done other cars I have had over the past 15 years, and no issues.

I have heard that said before, but not seen any proof of any issues. Like most tint install things however, its likely important it be installed properly.

For example, I have also read here of people getting their windshield tinted, and the installer using too much water and having that go behind the dashboard and cause some computer issue. I have my windshield tinted (3m crystalline, 70%) and went to a long standing shop that has done other cars I have had over the past 15 years, and no issues.

Mind PMing their details to me? I'm down that way with some regularity and not willing to pay the bay area premium for the work, so knowing someone competent in the IE would be a boon.

Looking at getting some tinting for preparing to the Texas summer. Have talked to a few "Tesla" expert tinting places and gotten different opinions. Here are my questions. 1. have been told tinting glass over driver (moon glass) will cause it to crack. 2. Also told that tinting only back window looks funny if you don't do the over head glass. 3. Related to #2, was considering just getting a heat barrier tint that is clear for over head glass. Opinions, thoughts, experiences? Also, one place told me they had to take parts of car apart (like side columns) to tint side and back windows in order to protect electronics. Sounds odd.
hey where and what are the names of the "Tesla" expert tinting places that you referred to? I also live in Texas and am looking in to getting my windows tinted before the summer but I am not sure where to go?

I don't know if my 2 cents is relative here only because I just had all the windows including the roof glass and windshield tinted just three weeks ago. I was getting ready to move from Georgia to Texas and tinting the windows was something I put off for a year until I decided to make the move so I went ahead and did it. This is the first time I heard about cracking the roof glass and I know quit a few people who has tinted their roofs as well. So I don't think its an issue but will see.

Reactions: ShonuffTX

Which shop did ya go to? Getting my Y this weekend and wasnt happy with my last Crystalline job on my Prime.

I too had concerns with tint on the moon roof and back window potentially causing long-story short a crack. I opted buying sun shades from amazon. I thought I could use them during the summer and take them off during winter. But I figured I just left them all year round no issues so far.

I got the whole roof tinted. First time I heard of anything about cracking. If heat from the film application causes your roof to crack, it sounds like the tempered glass in your roof was faulty from the start. Better to discover it now and replace it than find out in a downpour or some other emergency imo.

Fully tinted roof looks amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I got the whole roof tinted. First time I heard of anything about cracking. If heat from the film application causes your roof to crack, it sounds like the tempered glass in your roof was faulty from the start. Better to discover it now and replace it than find out in a downpour or some other emergency imo.

Fully tinted roof looks amazing. I wouldn't have it any other way.
What tint and how dark did ya go?
Im doing 3m Crystalline or IR and i want it to block heat but not be crazy dark. Doing Crystalline 70 on windshield, IR 5 on the backs, and probably IR 25 on fronts( last car had Crystalline 40 in front and that was too light). Im thinking IR 15 on the sunroof.

So the tint actually helps on the glass roof? I was told it's already extremely heat rejecting and tint won't really help. I still notice the heat from the glass though so I'm considering the options that don't require me to just block the sunroof visibility entirely since that defeats the purpose of having it.

The tint shop I went to when I bought the car (Sept 2018) wouldn’t do the overhead glass. I got every other glass panel including the windshield tinted but that. I have to say, I had forgotten about it. Can’t tell the difference from the inside or outside, unless you’re really looking for it. And even then…

Reactions: ZapCarM3