Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone have experience with roof cracking?
I personally think this is BS. If the main reason for it cracking is tint keeps the heat in the glass... then why is it that any other car with tinted rear windows are OK? Seriously, many cars for decades have had very low pitched roofs, tinted rear glass, and have been baked while parked in hot climates. I live in Australia where it gets as hot as 43C in my city (which is what about 110F?) and I have parked tinted cars in outdoor car parks since forever.

Back on topic, I intend to tint my Y with Suntek 35% all around including roof excluding the windscreen. Any comments about Suntek as a brand? Are they ok? I know they wouldn't be Xpel quality but as long as they're not crap I'll be happy.

Suntek has been around a long time and they'll stand behind their product. They're not a top brand like XPEL, but most people are satisfied for the price. They carry different lines like all manufacturers. I suggest looking at the tint specification sheet when comparing the options available to you in your market. Also consider how long you plan to keep your vehicle.

Reactions: spades
I just my roof tinted on Model Y. Is it normal that it requires to have this line above ? The shop said it's due to the type and size of roof.

Attachments

• 16818293349566453506492453814925.jpg
    16818293349566453506492453814925.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 184
I just my roof tinted on Model Y. Is it normal that it requires to have this line above ? The shop said it's due to the type and size of roof.
Applying a tint film to the glass roof of the Tesla Model Y can be done in one piece. This requires oversize material and more helpers while installing the tint film. If you are OK with the line and that the tint film is in two sections then no issue.

You should have paid less than if the job was done with one piece of film. (Just my opinion but the gap between the two sections of tint film is too large.)

Reactions: iTzDavid and Mr_Joe
No, that is not normal. Most of us have a single pane of window tint. Make your shop redo it...
Thank you all for your feedback. I have reached out to the shop. They advised they will look into larger film and will get back within next couple of days.

I'm going to push to get this fixed as I understand now that this is not something required, it takes away from having a full glass roof.