Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always felt like there is more heat coming through my windshield than the roof in my Model 3. I think the windshield on the 3/Y are quite raked and they bring in a lot of light but may also contribute to it getting hit with more road debris than other cars.

I have had multiple cracks in my M3 windshield and am hesitant to get the MY windshield tinted since I'm afraid I'll have to replace it eventually based on my experience so far. How much does windshield tint typically cost?

I have always felt like there is more heat coming through my windshield than the roof in my Model 3. I think the windshield on the 3/Y are quite raked and they bring in a lot of light but may also contribute to it getting hit with more road debris than other cars.

I have had multiple cracks in my M3 windshield and am hesitant to get the MY windshield tinted since I'm afraid I'll have to replace it eventually based on my experience so far. How much does windshield tint typically cost?
$250 or so

Reactions: PNWLeccy
The roof was the most expensive as it is difficult for them to do. But with the right film it is highly effective.

We haven't done the windshield yet on the Y. I have 80% transparency on the windshield on the S. My wife, who drives the Y wants to see if it is needed. Currently she puts up a reflector board.

You can get different tint levels all with IR block in the 90's. Privacy was less concern for us than heat blockage.

The problem with going too dark is the local regulations. Every state is different. So be careful you are street legal in your state. Most places that are certified won't tint that is illegal in your state.

They do make a film that goes on the outside of the windshield now that protects against rock chips like PPF. From what my installer told me, they have to replace it yearly at a cost of $400. Windshield wipers wear it down. We carry a rider on our insurance for $0 glass so I don’t really care. We have had our Ys windshield replaced once. Also, our insurance reimburses for tint so we didn’t have to pay to get it tinted again. Might check what your insurance covers. Might negate the issue of tinting if you only have to pay once.

They do make a film that goes on the outside of the windshield now that protects against rock chips like PPF. From what my installer told me, they have to replace it yearly at a cost of $400. Windshield wipers wear it down. We carry a rider on our insurance for $0 glass so I don’t really care. We have had our Ys windshield replaced once. Also, our insurance reimburses for tint so we didn’t have to pay to get it tinted again. Might check what your insurance covers. Might negate the issue of tinting if you only have to pay once.
I also have a $0 glass deductible. Do you pay for additional insurance to cover aftermarket parts (i.e. Tint) because I didn't expect that they would cover that when replacing a windshield?

I also have a $0 glass deductible. Do you pay for additional insurance to cover aftermarket parts (i.e. Tint) because I didn't expect that they would cover that when replacing a windshield?
No additional coverage. Tint is generally included with glass replacement. I have SafeCo now which covers it. Geico did as well as Shelter when I had them. Just check with your agent.

If your state law requires it you should have zero deductible for windshield breakage. Has to be a crack that is longer than about an inch diameter.

My Honda got smacked by a stone flying off a flat bed truck and that was $1800 due to the Nav camera being mounted on the windshield. Allstate covered it 100%. I didn't have the tint film on the Honda so I don't know if that is also covered.

I have a scanning thermometer and can't wait to test the heat transmission on a sunny day. I had the 30 put on the roof but they only did XR Plus 70 for the hatch back. It's supposed to be 94% IR rejection as opposed to 97%. Not sure I can measure that difference. I think they did that for better visibility, if not some state law compliance.

Did you guys know that one of the parameters you can read off the OBD2 port using the TesLax app is roof temperature? Just discovered it last week myself. Pretty cool!

E549BA45-082C-4D95-80A1-FD04B42D07C5.png

• Informative
Reactions: zpaul
Nice! I use a laser scanning thermometer.
I recently purchased a hand held infrared thermometer (they have become dirt cheap and available for under $20) I never understood exactly how the these thermometers worked until I purchased one. One misconception I had is that the laser light beam is involved in measuring the surface temperature of the target, it is not. The laser light is merely a pointing aid to aim the thermometer and can be turned off when desired.

Infrared thermometer - Wikipedia

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XG3P7R9/

Reactions: TravelFree
In my state (Georgia) the LEO's routinely ignore illegally tinted side glass. Other than the occasional Barney Fife local cop, the only times I've seen side tint get written is as an add-on to a more serious stop or if it was a suspicious car and they used it as PC for the stop. However, they don't have much of a sense of humor about tinted windshields. I wouldn't do that here.

In my state (Georgia) the LEO's routinely ignore illegally tinted side glass. Other than the occasional Barney Fife local cop, the only times I've seen side tint get written is as an add-on to a more serious stop or if it was a suspicious car and they used it as PC for the stop. However, they don't have much of a sense of humor about tinted windshields. I wouldn't do that here.
If you were a cop in Atlanta, you’d understand why they hate dark tinted windows.

They hate it why?

The type of officer in his quote isn't an "Atlanta" officer, but likely from a surrounding suburb... (Picture a MAGA Flag painted across an 18-wheeler parked in corn field).
I have no problem with Trump supporters so not sure why a Maga flag has anything to do with it. Cops don’t like dark tinted windows because the suspect can be reaching for a gun or trying to hide something during a stop, especially in high crime Atlanta and in city/town for that matter. I have a few friends and Family members who were/are and have been killed in the line of duty and every day is a risk. Tinting your windows just adds an hot layer of stress during a traffic stop and they deal with the worst of humankind on the daily.

Last edited:
I have no problem with Trump supporters so not sure why a Maga flag has anything to do with it. Cops don’t like dark tinted windows because the suspect can be reaching for a gun or trying to hide something during a stop, especially in high crime Atlanta and in city/town for that matter. I have a few friends and Family members who were/are and have been killed in the line of duty and every day is a risk. Tinting your windows just adds an hot layer of stress during a traffic stop and they deal with the worst of humankind on the daily.

Criminals will be criminals regardless if they have tint or not. Sorry to hear about your friends and family that were killed in the line of duty; throwing shade at tint isnt the solution.