Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Rear Window on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tinted the rear window on their Model 3? How does it look? (roof part too dark?)

Also, I heard the service centers are recommending you do not tint the rear window, due to the electronics in the rear. Can anyone confirm this? If so, any thoughts as to why exactly tinting the back is a problem? Is it okay to do it anyway, or is there a pretty good reason to avoid it?
Thx.

Has anyone tinted the rear window on their Model 3? How does it look? (roof part too dark?)

Also, I heard the service centers are recommending you do not tint the rear window, due to the electronics in the rear. Can anyone confirm this? If so, any thoughts as to why exactly tinting the back is a problem? Is it okay to do it anyway, or is there a pretty good reason to avoid it?
Thx.
Search “tint”. You’ll find answers to all your questions

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and Jxtheone
Thx, but of course I did a search before posting. No definitive/helpful answer I could find. Certainly nothing at all on the second question (which is really my main question, perhaps I should have asked that first or only).
With respect tot the rear, the main difficulty of tinting the back is if you want to do it all in piece of tint. If you didn’t mind doing partial, then it is really no different that any other tint job. Doing the full back is difficult since it requires a single piece of tint done on a curved piece of glass. Many of us have done it without a problem. Again, many threads discussing this topic. With respect to electronics....this is really not an issue especially if you have an experienced installer. I actually don’t think there are much electronics in the rear (I got rear ended and saw the rear of the car get disassembled), there really isn’t much back there to worry about. Hopefully that helps you.

Here is a few links that might help

Who's tinted their windows?

Learn from my tinting mistake

To tint back/top window or not

Last edited:
I've heard about service centers warning against tinting the front windshield because of electronics but not the rear.

yup...heard people having issues with the windshield but have not heard rear window. i have had my windshield tinted twice now (orig tint had ghosting issues) and as long as the shop and tinters know what they are doing ... won’t be an issue

Had OCDetailing tint the rear in 50% and no problems with reflections nor seeing outside. Dash cam also has no issue with the rear tint. The best thing is to see someone else's in person, that's how I decided on 50%. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow but again, pictures and real life are quite different.

Still happy with the rear at 50%? Assume you left the roof alone? Does it look odd not matching the rear? (From inside or outside?)

Side windows at 35%?
A month stale, but I'll answer....

I added 50% to the front roof. 35% to the rear glass. 20% to the rear sides, and 70% to the front doors. So NOTHING matches for light transmission. And I couldn't be happier. Matching them is where the problems lie. All glass has different uses, and each one deserves specific treatment. From inside the car, there's no odd difference detected. And from outside, it looks awesome. Much better than trying to do them all the same (which is what most tint shops recommend).