Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip - Cancel indicators by indicating “again”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this by accident, and think it is now my preferred way of cancelling the indicators when auto doesn’t do it.

If you’re indicating and you half push in that direction again then it cancels. (I found that weirdly hard to describe)

Seems counter intuitive but more reliable than trying to switch indicating from left to right or right to left.

So left.. left.. right.. instead of left.. right.. argh .. right .. RIGHT!

Found this by accident, and think it is now my preferred way of cancelling the indicators when auto doesn’t do it.

If you’re indicating and you half push in that direction again then it cancels. (I found that weirdly hard to describe)

Seems counter intuitive but more reliable than trying to switch indicating from left to right or right to left.

So left.. left.. right.. instead of left.. right.. argh .. right .. RIGHT!

Yes, this is particularly useful on roundabouts where you need to go from indicating right directly to indicating left. Guaranteed to get into a fankle otherwise!

The fundamental reason used to be that you will sometimes by chance cancel just after the car has already automatically cancelled. In this case the car would blink in the wrong direction, which confuses everybody.

Cancelling in the same direction at worst leads to an extra three blinkings before it stops on its own, which is not too bad.

However, the whole things changes again, now that we have the new automatic indicator cancel function. No longer does the indicator blink three times after you press the indicator lever half-way, at least not always. So we have to relearn.

I don't have complete instructions for use with the new function. I can say that it works wonderfully well most of the time and that I like it. However, it brings along a few new problems. One example is that, on a car without any autopilots extensions like FSD, if you want to change lanes on a freeway/motorway/autobahn, and if you push the indicator lever half-way, and if you delay the actual lane change by just a second, the indicator will blink three times like in the old days. So you now want to learn to push the lever all the way for a lane change, because then it always works as expected, automatically and nicely cancelling the indicator as you reach the new lane.

I am still not sure how the automatic indicator cancel works in other situations in reaction to pressing the lever half-way or all the way. What difference does it make? Please describe what you have found out.

The fundamental reason used to be that you will sometimes by chance cancel just after the car has already automatically cancelled. In this case the car would blink in the wrong direction, which confuses everybody.

Cancelling in the same direction at worst leads to an extra three blinkings before it stops on its own, which is not too bad.

However, the whole things changes again, now that we have the new automatic indicator cancel function. No longer does the indicator blink three times after you press the indicator lever half-way, at least not always. So we have to relearn.

I don't have complete instructions for use with the new function. I can say that it works wonderfully well most of the time and that I like it. However, it brings along a few new problems. One example is that, on a car without any autopilots extensions like FSD, if you want to change lanes on a freeway/motorway/autobahn, and if you push the indicator lever half-way, and if you delay the actual lane change by just a second, the indicator will blink three times like in the old days. So you now want to learn to push the lever all the way for a lane change, because then it always works as expected, automatically and nicely cancelling the indicator as you reach the new lane.

I am still not sure how the automatic indicator cancel works in other situations in reaction to pressing the lever half-way or all the way. What difference does it make? Please describe what you have found out.
It doesn’t. Halfway or full way it works as it is expected to work. It is perfect in most scenarios except the round abouts.

How is it expected to work?
I m sure the release notes or the information in manual says what it does.

You click half-way or full way when you change lane(motorways, autobahn, freeways, dual carriageways), or take the exit road, or T junctions, or first exit in round-about. The exception is third exit as it doesn’t cancel (unless you give a slight tug) - so one half-way right then cancel (same direction or opposite) then another half-way left then let the camera take over to cancel. The otherway in Europe and US.

That is quite a big exception given the UK road network.

Yes, but the rest of the thing works so well I just become a BMW driver when it comes to roundabouts!

Last edited:

All I do know about the blinker stuffup on the S with FSD (yes, I know....) is that the passenger seat is pretty damp most days.
SWMBO forbids me to plug in the autopilot because of (a) continuing - and getting worse - phantom brakings and (b) the sudden lunge when it changes lanes. Then there's the awful change of mind halfway through the return to the original lane: it starts the change and usually as it enters the new lane suddenly abandons the manoeuvre and swerves back again. Might have something to do with the blinker operation?

it starts the change and usually as it enters the new lane suddenly abandons the manoeuvre and swerves back again. Might have something to do with the blinker operation?

I think that might be related to some discussion on here around the EU / UK rules that the lane-change must be completed within X-Seconds ... and if that is exceeded the rules require that the car aborts the lane change.

Someone else can correct me if I've got that wrong (and you might be experiencing something different)

I think that might be related to some discussion on here around the EU / UK rules that the lane-change must be completed within X-Seconds ... and if that is exceeded the rules require that the car aborts the lane change.

Someone else can correct me if I've got that wrong (and you might be experiencing something different)
Perhaps, but I'm in Australia!

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Perhaps, but I'm in Australia!

Sorry about that! However, I think the UK / EU rules are part of something universally adopted (forgotten the buzzword for the collective group), so might be something your lot subscribe to too (to save them having to create their own from scratch)

Might also be that you got a colonial-castoff, in which case I'm sorry about that too!