Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips Needed For Parking Model 3 in Smaller Garage Door Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tips on driving in and backing out of a smaller Garage..the garage door is only 91 inches or 7.58 so quite tough..obviously bothmirrors have to be folden in to get in or out of garage...actually tougher getting out of garage when you pulled in straight....
was thinking of making a wooded track....kind of what they have at a car wash but theres is metel

thoughts on making it easier with smaller garage door entry
this is for a model 3
thanks

I use Summons to reverse the car into and out of the garage. I line it up in the driveway and get out, then start the summon, the mirrors fold, and it glides right in. I have my obstacle clearance set to 12 inches (I think), so that's how close the walls are on both sides.

Reactions: bradfridell
Is it just the garage entry that's 91" or the whole garage? The garage door I use for the Model 3 is 92" from seal to seal and the mirrors have some space with them not folded. (Actually, I turned off the folding feature.)

I taped some lines onto the floor of our garage. I then line those up with the backup lines in the rearview camera view. Works great. I'll post a video soon.
I use the garage floor felt/border as a guide to stop. :D

IMG_1370.JPG

Reactions: JBT66 and RED MDL3
I also drive in with rear camera on and stop when I’ve cleared the line garage door closes on. Also hung a tennis ball on a rope that the windshield hits at stopping point. I have to crowd the right side wall to get driver’s door open.
If you have summon. I use summon to back out - standing where I can see right side of car. Rarely my Model 3 darts a bit to the left and I have to stop. Most times works well. The seats are low and my clearance small so my older body really appreciates summon. I don’t trust it going in. It centers the car versus favoring right side. Also rolls a bit after releasing the app button. Two years now, no scrapes.

This is where scissor (Lambo) doors come in real handy.

Tight spaces in garage, parked next to other cars - easy in and out.
Door dings - not when you (and others) doors don't swing out.

Personally I think all doors should be scissor, or at least gullwing, or lastly double hinge swing out like the huge door Bentley coupes. Butterfly doors maybe, but not a huge fan.

Standard swing doors just never looked pretty or functional to me.

This is where scissor (Lambo) doors come in real handy.

Tight spaces in garage, parked next to other cars - easy in and out.
Door dings - not when you (and others) doors don't swing out.

Personally I think all doors should be scissor, or at least gullwing, or lastly double hinge swing out like the huge door Bentley coupes. Butterfly doors maybe, but not a huge fan.

Standard swing doors just never looked pretty or functional to me.

Not as functional as doors with heavy and complex opening mechanisms; that might create height obstruction; that might be hard to reach?

There's a reason those things are exclusively in the domain of showy cars, rather than everyday cars.

thankd for video...did not even notice those white backing lines when backing up.....have model 3
as well inintially how did you know where to place yellow tape on the ground
thanks

To place the tape I put some small pieces of tape where I thought thought they should go then backed in part way and adjusted them. That is, trial and error. It was easy. Finally, I connected the dots.

I have a tight fit as my M3 is parked next to my motorcycle. I use foam (pool noodle) on my bike's exhaust to prevent the door from dinging, it's probably advisable that you do the same on your wall. The 2nd thing is I usually roll my driver window down to give me the extra space to slide in/out of the seat (you can close it afterward from the app, or tap the window up switch).