Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Defect Covered by Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model 3 Performance with around 16097 miles. My front right tire has a small egg on the side wall. There has been no collision or impact made to cause the defect. I schedule an appointment with my service center and they told me I would need to come out of pocket to replace it. I’m just not sure why a defect in my tire, thats not been caused by me, isn’t covered under my warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_5302.jpeg
    IMG_5302.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 20
Tires are not covered under warranty.

The scuff marks on your sidewall looks like you’ve been driving on dirt roads and the egg looks like you ran over a rock. Without road hazard, no one is going to cover that. Don‘t buy new tire(s) from Tesla, same tires are much cheaper at tire stores.

With 16,000 miles of wear on your tires, you may need two tires.

No personal experience with this situation, but I have seen posts that going to a tire shop may be a better experience. Tesla has no incentive to help you replace a tire under warranty, but a tire shop does; potential future customer. A tire shop may be able to transact a tire manufacturer's warranty.

If not, IMO, a tire shop is still a better place to go for tires anyway.

I have a 2023 Model 3 Performance with around 16097 miles. My front right tire has a small egg on the side wall. There has been no collision or impact made to cause the defect. I schedule an appointment with my service center and they told me I would need to come out of pocket to replace it. I’m just not sure why a defect in my tire, thats not been caused by me, isn’t covered under my warranty.
For those saying I was driving on dirt roads and the tire is clearly scuffed, the first pics were after a rainy day with dried dirt on them. There is very clearly no scuff. My other car drives the same exact routes and I have never had a problem, there are no potholes, and no bumps capable of causing damage that I come across in my driving. So believe it or not the tire in fact has done that in its own. Either way it doesn’t seem like Tesla seems to replace tires regardless and I’ll be seeking out a tire shop. Thanks to those of you that were kind and helpful rather than being condescending.

Attachments

• IMG_5464.jpeg
    IMG_5464.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5463.jpeg
    IMG_5463.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: zoomer0056
Too late for Tesla to take care of it
Call the manuf and open a warranty claim
Find a same tire manuf dealer like a Mavis that will do the inspection drop em $20
You could get at least 60-80% credit
Dont expect a free tire
Keep the reason crisp, manuf defect
Don’t say OEM tire
I’ve done this successfully 3x times, even for all four at the same time

Good luck

Find a same tire manuf dealer like a Mavis that will do the inspection drop em $20
Dont expect a free tire
Don’t say OEM tire

Good luck
OP, this is good advice.

This is super common on low profile tires and can happen without a very hard impact. I’m guessing you’ve never had a car with tires as thin as on the Y Performance. There is 0% chance you’ve only driven on glass smooth surfaces for 16k miles.

Dont expect a free tire
Don’t say OEM tire

Good luck
Thank you so much. Going to give this a go and see what happens.